rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I have noticed through the years that it seems to take a certain level of DBs to get the speakers moving, so the music sounds real. If I play a piece at 65-70 DBs the music sounds flat with no life. Not until I get the speakers moving at around 75-85 DBs do it get a sense of the instruments/voice; they sound real. It is more a sense of volume not sound pressure, although thumping does help.

Now here is the question, when I'm with folks and I play my system at 75-85 DBs they complain it's too loud but, if we go to a club or concert where the music is 85-95 DBs the same folks are all smiles and dancing.

Why?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have noticed through the years that it seems to take a certain level of DBs to get the speakers moving, so the music sounds real. If I play a piece at 65-70 DBs the music sounds flat with no life. Not until I get the speakers moving at around 75-85 DBs do it get a sense of the instruments/voice; they sound real. It is more a sense of volume not sound pressure, although thumping does help.

Now here is the question, when I'm with folks and I play my system at 75-85 DBs they complain it's too loud but, if we go to a club or concert where the music is 85-95 DBs the same folks are all smiles and dancing.

Why?
Its all about the atmosphere and expectations. They expect it to play loud in a club and expect to dance and it is entirely out of the influence of their control. That expectation changes in someone's home where they dont expect to need to shout to be heard and they may have some influence by telling you your playing it too loud.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
It's all about blood alcohol levels, you are not doing enough pre-event warm up before the audio demo

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Why?
What electronics are you using? If you're operating a Denon/Marantz AVR and using Audyssey, you can enable the DYNAMIC EQ feature which boosts bass and high frequencies at lower volumes.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Its all about the atmosphere and expectations. They expect it to play loud in a club and expect to dance and it is entirely out of the influence of their control. That expectation changes in someone's home where they dont expect to need to shout to be heard and they may have some influence by telling you your playing it too loud.
So folks don't listen to music in the home only when roped into by expectations ?
All other times they just hear it in the background?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's going change.
Just ribbing ya! I saw your post, think that's a good move. I know when I've heard Klipsch in the range you have I wasn't a particular fan....but still, most people I know don't care for loud music in the house, maybe a movie at a reasonable level, but not as high as I might go for a demo :)

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Just ribbing ya! I saw your post, think that's a good move. I know when I've heard Klipsch in the range you have I wasn't a particular fan....but still, most people I know don't care for loud music in the house, maybe a movie at a reasonable level, but not as high as I might go for a demo :)
It's going to be the Focal 936 and a CC900. I have to decouple/soundproof the room first. Gonna cost about 8-10k just for the soundproofing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's going to be the Focal 936 and a CC900. I have to decouple/soundproof the room first. Gonna cost about 8-10k just for the soundproofing.
Building the room within a room thing with the green glue and everything?

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Building the room within a room thing with the green glue and everything?
Yes; gut the room, rewire it, dual pocket doors, then decoupling with resilient Channel, sound clips, mineral wool, double 5/8" sheetrock, green glue. The room is 13' 5" X 22' 9" X 8'. Should take me about 3 weeks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So folks don't listen to music in the home only when roped into by expectations ?
I didn't say either one of those two things. Please reread what I posted and think about the question you asked.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I didn't say either one of those two things. Please reread what I posted and think about the question you asked.
Your reply to my post: "It's all about the atmosphere and expectations. They expect it to play loud in a club and expect to dance, and it is entirely out of the influence of their control. That expectation changes in someone's home, where they don't expect to need to shout to be heard, and they may have some influence by telling you're playing it too loud."

So, let me correct myself since I read too much into 3db's post.
People go to clubs and expect loud music, and they have no control over the volume.
At home, people have control and can turn the volume down.

My post "Music Perception" (the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses) the willingness or ability to discern musical content.

My Reply: So folks don't listen to music in the home only when roped into by expectations ?

So, when and why do people "listen" to music or just hear it?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Your reply to my post: "It's all about the atmosphere and expectations. They expect it to play loud in a club and expect to dance, and it is entirely out of the influence of their control. That expectation changes in someone's home, where they don't expect to need to shout to be heard, and they may have some influence by telling you're playing it too loud."

So, let me correct myself since I read too much into 3db's post.
People go to clubs and expect loud music, and they have no control over the volume.
At home, people have control and can turn the volume down.

My post "Music Perception" (the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses) the willingness or ability to discern musical content.

My Reply: So folks don't listen to music in the home only when roped into by expectations ?

So, when and why do people "listen" to music or just hear it?
I can play your game here.
Since when do people listening to music at volumes less than what you played your music at do you consider this as listening to it as background?

I also mentioned the words atmosphere which you ignored.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis