rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I can play your game here.
Since when do people listening to music at volumes less than what you played your music at do you consider this as listening to it as background?

I also mentioned the words' atmosphere, which you ignored.
I wasn't aware I was playing a "who knows more or who is correct" I just was clarifying my response to your post. No game or slight was intended.

But, it certainly would help me if a person of your intellect would answer the question.

So, when and why do people "listen" to music or just hear it?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I admit... I haven't been following this thread very closely and I am probably not going back to re-read any of it...
But I love this question.

The difference in active vs passive listening is huge.
Passive is hearing in its simplest form: it is there, but is part of the atmosphere and you are not focusing exclusively on it. Active is when you sit down and listen, engaging in critical thought about what you hear to the exclusion of everything around you.

My parents watched Hill Street Blues like that, and it was my @$$ if I talked when the show was on!

:)

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I admit... I haven't been following this thread very closely and I am probably not going back to re-read any of it...

Passive is hearing in its simplest form: it is there, but is part of the atmosphere and you are not focusing exclusively on it. Active is when you sit down and listen, engaging in critical thought about what you hear to the exclusion of everything around you.

My parents watched Hill Street Blues like that, and it was my @$$ if I talked when the show was on!

It safe to say that active vs passive are two different activities. Passive you are doing something else and sharing your attention, is it 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, etc. Active is 100% attention, like you are in studio or audience with the band.
Loved Hill Street Blues. My dad was the same with Bonanza or the Twilight Zone!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wasn't aware I was playing a "who knows more or who in correct" I just was clarifying my response to your post. No game or slight was intended.

But, it certainly would help me if a person of your intellect would answer the question.

I cant speak for others but for me listening to music is active listening where I focus on what is playing. Background listening is being engaged in another activities and Im not focusing on what is being played.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I admit... I haven't been following this thread very closely, and I am probably not going back to re-read any of it...

Passive is hearing in its simplest form: it is there, but is part of the atmosphere, and you are not focusing exclusively on it. Active is when you sit down and listen, engaging in critical thought about what you hear to the exclusion of everything around you.

Thank you for your response, your post certainly defines the question.

It seems to me that folks in general don't listen to music. Be it at home, club, concert, or plugged into their phone. I think they just aren't interested with its content. If It's got a good beat or catchy lyrics, it sells. It takes a conscious effort to listen to music, and they don't have the time.

I think that is unfortunate because they will never appreciate the gift of music. Those that have music will never be alone.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis