Replacing current speakers because of ear fatigue

Q

qba

Audioholic
Ok Guys since the Ultra deal may be lost, and the Dalis that is coming on Sunday I will just test them to see if they have any chance against the Elacs, So I decided to put Elacs on the wall, and omg it blew me away!!!!.

They now sound good at any level!!!! Very low music sound clear and big!!!!

I didn't know how to convey this to you guys so I took a video with my phone and uploaded to youtube to share with you! I was afraid that it wasn't going to be loud enough because of the phone's mic, so I raise the volume a little bit, but to my surprise, they sound like they are super loud and it wasn't that loud when I was recording it, Pixel 6 phone has a crazy mic I guess.

I keep filming the spot where the wall and the ceiling meet because the voices and some sounds are coming from up there :)

PXL_20211231_015750689.jpg

PXL_20211231_015734981.jpg

PXL_20211231_015732216.jpg
PXL_20211231_015725911.jpg

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
qba,

You forgot I'm a Canuck & live in Vancouver. Yes, I agree the whole SVS line are outrageous in Canada, and that's why they aren't as popular here. I think it's because SVS marks it up to US Retail to the Canadian distributor, and then they mark it up another $360 a pair. The US SVS Website has a filter on it so if it sees a Canadian IP address it switches to pages without prices. (I figured a way around it but it was a pain, so I don't bother. I don't think SVS would let you buy direct with a Canadian Credit Card either.)

When I was last buying speakers, I was going to compare SVS Ultras to HSU CCB-8s. But there was no Canadian SVS distributor near me, and the prices here were terrible on line. I read more reviews about the CCB-8s and ordered them direct on HSU in California. They are great for my Atmos setup.

Did you ever think of trying some PSB Speakers? Like these PSB Imagine at Gibbys

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Ok Guys since the Ultra deal may be lost, and the Dalis that is coming on Sunday I will just test them to see if they have any chance against the Elacs, So I decided to put Elacs on the wall, and omg it blew me away!!!!.

I didn't know how to convey this to you guys so I took a video with my phone and uploaded to youtube to share with you! I was afraid that it wasn't going to be loud enough because of the phone's mic, so I raise the volume a little bit, but to my surprise, they sound like they are super loud and it wasn't that loud when I was recording it, Pixel 6 phone has a crazy mic I guess.

I keep filming the spot where the wall and the ceiling meet because the voices and some sounds are coming from up there :)

View attachment 52748
View attachment 52749

View attachment 52750View attachment 52751
That's just about as good as Dire Straits can sound on YouTube. ;)

I'm thinking you're sold on the Elacs. You're not taking them down...

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the AE and Dynaudio have never been discussed in this forum, but based on youtube review videos I have been watching on many speakers, these two seem to produce a very good warm, and soulful sound.

I always thought that the SVS Ultra were being sold in the U.S.A for $1000
How can you tell from a video? They were, current price is $600 each....sometimes you can get them as seconds a bit better priced probably.

Q

qba

Audioholic
How can you tell from a video? They were, current price is $600 each....sometimes you can get them as seconds a bit better priced probably.
I agree you can't fully tell from the video, and in these videos, a lot of time people didn't even play music because of copyrights infringements, in some videos, they actually compared these speakers to the SVS and what they described is not that the SVS sound thin and high pitch like the Monitor Audios, but that the other two sound warmer than the SVS. I'm not saying this is correct, but based on their description there is a possibility that they are right, this is why I purchased the Elacs, you guys suggested first, and then I started watching videos about it and how they described them actually matched to what I'm listening at home right now. I think my video gives you an idea of the melody and soulfulness of the Elacs right?

Here is one of those comparison videos, but this one is just with sound.

Last edited:
Q

qba

Audioholic
You forgot I'm a Canuck
Totally did lol

I think it's because SVS marks it up to US Retail to the Canadian distributor, and then they mark it up another $360 a pair.
Interesting

They are great for my Atmos setup.
If you have this quality speaker at Atmos I can only imagine what is the cost of your front speakers lol

Did you ever think of trying some PSB Speakers? Like these PSB Imagine at Gibbys
I was after the PSB Imagine XB but all the local store where charging 15% to 20% restocking fees[/QUOTE]

Q

qba

Audioholic
That's just about as good as Dire Straits can sound on YouTube. ;)
Imagine how they sound in front of me with the sound stage and imaging :)

I'm thinking your sold on the Elacs. You're not taking them down...
What do you think? lol I knew it could be a mistake to put them up because it will affect my judgment on the next test because they would have sounded better, but I never thought that they will have sounded this better :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree you can't fully tell from the video, and in these videos, a lot of time people didn't even play music because of copyrights infringements, in some videos, they actually compared these speakers to the SVS and what they described is not that the SVS sound thin and high pitch like the Monitor Audios, but that the other two sound warmer than the SVS. I'm not saying this is correct, but based on their description there is a possibility that they are right, this is why I purchased the Elacs, you guys suggested first, and then I started watching videos about it and how they described them actually matched to what I'm listening at home right now. I think my video gives you an idea of the melody and soulfulness of the Elacs right?

Here is one of those comparison videos, but this one is just with sound.

My point is that a video is a lousy way of hearing how a speaker sounds....you're listening to what quality recording, microphone, compression on youtube, through different speakers at your end (and almost always laptop in my case unless I view the video on the main system on the youtube app on my Firestick).....but I have found most of the videos about audio to be generally useless (outside those of AH, audiosciencereview and Erin's Corner). I simply don't bother with videos of audio....nor most of the reviewers. Describing a speaker as melody and soulfulsness, not something I would do...some music might qualify, but a speaker? Elacs came around in the US long after I moved away from any sort of audio store to go even audition at, tho. I have not purchased any, altho some might be interesting, already have plenty :)

Q

qba

Audioholic
My point is that a video is a lousy way of hearing how a speaker sounds....you're listening to what quality recording, microphone, compression on youtube, through different speakers at your end (and almost always laptop in my case unless I view the video on the main system on the youtube app on my Firestick).....but I have found most of the videos about audio to be generally useless (outside those of AH, audiosciencereview and Erin's Corner). I simply don't bother with videos of audio....nor most of the reviewers. Describing a speaker as melody and soulfulsness, not something I would do...some music might qualify, but a speaker? Elacs came around in the US long after I moved away from any sort of audio store to go even audition at, tho. I have not purchased any, altho some might be interesting, already have plenty :)
Thanks lovinthehd, agree is videos are a lousy way to determine how something sounds, plus I understand from someone like you that has been in this hobby for a long time, you probably have enough good quality gear sitting around, and is not rational to try everything out there.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic

For the type of nearfield setup you have, a concentric driver design such as this Elac will have benefits over other conventional designs with a non concentric mid/tweeter, a.k.a a true point source for sound energy propagation, have very even dispersion in both horiz/vert planes, nullify issues with coherence from your closer proximity to the speaker and you wouldn't have to put your head in a vise.

Of the many speakers i have now audited, the Technics SB-C700 (1700 bucks new, another concentric design) sounded incredible (stood out), but, it is offered as a stereo bookshelf only with no matching center channel for my multichannel setup. If i tried to use a bookshelf for the center channel, it is only sold in pairs and i nixed that idea. I have a AV installer friend who owns KEFs priced above 10k and that sounded like a significant enough jump up from the Elac. With my current budget of 5k, everything else under 5k sounded more or less like a lateral move to the Elac w/subs, in comparison. So, i haven't bothered to upgrade anything at the moment...I am quite happy with it actually for now.

Q

qba

Audioholic
For the type of nearfield setup you have, a concentric driver design such as this Elac will have benefits over other conventional designs with a non concentric mid/tweeter, a.k.a a true point source for sound energy propagation, have very even dispersion in both horiz/vert planes, nullify issues with coherence from your closer proximity to the speaker and you wouldn't have to put your head in a vise.
Your post made me smile :) so the concentric driver design can be optimal for nearfield listening?

Of the many speakers i have now audited, the Technics SB-C700 (1700 bucks new, another concentric design) sounded incredible (stood out), but, it is offered as a stereo bookshelf only with no matching center channel for my multichannel setup. If i tried to use a bookshelf for the center channel, it is only sold in pairs and i nixed that idea. I have a AV installer friend who owns KEFs priced above 10k and that sounded like a significant enough jump up from the Elac. With my current budget of 5k, everything else under 5k sounded more or less like a lateral move to the Elac w/subs, in comparison. So, i haven't bothered to upgrade anything at the moment...I am quite happy with it actually for now.
I tried the correct speakers for my setup accidentally :) btw sorry I'm a bit slow today, Do you have the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 at the moment?

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Your post made me smile :) so the concentric driver design can be optimal for nearfield listening?
Yes...in fact, i can't think of a better design for a nearfield application.

I tried the correct speakers for my setup accidentally :) btw sorry I'm a bit slow today, Do you have the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 at the moment?
Yes, i am using the unifi 2.0 floorstander/center/bookshelf in my multichannel music setup. I run the floorstanders on their own in stereo as well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree that in general concentric designs tend to work better in near field applications, but that's not to say one couldn't prefer, or other designs won't work for you.

That said Elac do make some very good speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
KEF LS50 series might also be interesting for concentric stuff....or some of the other KEFs....

Q

qba

Audioholic
I agree that in general concentric designs tend to work better in near field applications, but that's not to say one couldn't prefer, or other designs won't work for you.

That said Elac do make some very good speakers.
Good point thanks Pogre!

Q

qba

Audioholic
KEF LS50 series might also be interesting for concentric stuff....or some of the other KEFs....
If I have known about the concentric benefits for nearfield listening I would have bought the KEF Metas and tried them at home, I didn't like them at all at the store, the same way I didn't like the Elacs when they came out of the box for the first few songs, but at the end of the day I'm very happy with my choice and it wouldn't have been possible without all of you guys help. Thanks!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I have known about the concentric benefits for nearfield listening I would have bought the KEF Metas and tried them at home, I didn't like them at all at the store, the same way I didn't like the Elacs when they came out of the box for the first few songs, but at the end of the day I'm very happy with my choice and it wouldn't have been possible without all of you guys help. Thanks!!!!
Yeah I forgot you had the experience in the store....but a store listening experience often lacks compared to your own room in the end, too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Kef Metas with a subwoofer would be very good too I would think, but if you are loving the Elacs I think you've done enough work to cut yourself some slack and be done with it. If your "paralysis of analysis" is getting stressful and you're no longer having fun with it you should know that you chose great speakers. The Elac UB52 are by all accounts I've seen, very good speakers and at a level worth upgrading to for you in my opinion.

*PS, I like that they're front ported too.

Q

qba

Audioholic
The Kef Metas with a subwoofer would be very good too I would think, but if you are loving the Elacs I think you've done enough work to cut yourself some slack and be done with it. If your "paralysis of analysis" is getting stressful and you're no longer having fun with it you should know that you chose great speakers. The Elac UB52 are by all accounts I've seen, very good speakers and at a level worth upgrading to for you in my opinion.

*PS, I like that they're front ported too.
Thanks Pogre, I was just telling my wife as I was listening to Sam Cooke - Changes is Gona Come, that I can't believe I can now just sit on my desk and have that type of clear and angelically melodic tones come out of those speakers at such a low volume, is like magic! I agree with you I think I'm done and it feels relaxing :)

When the Dali comes I will just try them because they are here but I really don't even want to open the box so I don't affect the seller's ability to resell them at full price.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Speaking of the Devil, they just arrived, I guess today is Sunday for Amazon, should I open the box? Is an small box and very light.
PXL_20211231_174552312.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis