Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

N

newbie_audiophile

Audiophyte
Thanks. That helps a lot.

I was considering the floor standing Canton Chrono 80 DC (instead of bookshelf) as well. But says that they have an Aluminum-manganese tweeter system. And based on your comment above, I should avoid...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. That helps a lot.

I was considering the floor standing Canton Chrono 80 DC (instead of bookshelf) as well. But says that they have an Aluminum-manganese tweeter system. And based on your comment above, I should avoid...
Yes you should ideally match up the tweeters to the same type.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Yes you should ideally match up the tweeters to the same type.
Ideally yes and by all means go that route if you’re able but in my own HT experience running all Vento across the front and a mix of Chrono & Vento and now all Chrono front and rear. Any noticeable difference honestly just never jumped out at me. All those setups have sounded good to me but that may just be my brass ears and maybe I can’t pick up the subtle differences. Or perhaps it’s a testament to the quality of Cantons older Alu/Mag tweeters

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ideally yes and by all means go that route if you’re able but in my own HT experience running all Vento across the front and a mix of Chrono & Vento and now all Chrono front and rear. Any noticeable difference honestly just never jumped out at me. All those setups have sounded good to me but that may just be my brass ears and maybe I can’t pick up the subtle differences. Or perhaps it’s a testament to the quality of Cantons older Alu/Mag tweeters
"Brass ears", lol.

I agree. The front 3 are the most important to have matching. I've used different speakers for surround and it never jumped out at me either. Match if you can, but the front 3 are the most critical.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s the ceramic coated aluminum tweeters that Kew and others have written great reviews on. Specifically the bookshelves 536.2 and 526.2 compared to the 836.2 and 826.2. (The comparison of towers however has a big difference in the weight of the cabinets unlike with the bookshelves, so that could be a difference that matters)

A few other folks have said nice things about the Aluminum Maganese tweeters as well in the non “SL” series and the older “SL” series a couple versions back before they updated the tweeters.

Most of the discussion stopped on Canton after ACL stopped selling them last year at big discount in the US. In Europe I’m sure there are deals though.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Definitely too bad about that AC4L Canton deal and discount option disappearing in the states, now at msrp I’d personally be looking elsewhere but I’m glad I got all mine when I did at the prices I paid.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely too bad about that AC4L Canton deal and discount option disappearing in the states, now at msrp I’d personally be looking elsewhere but I’m glad I got all mine when I did at the prices I paid.
Well I stayed in my budget on my gear and I’m not feeling any upgraditis yet. Hopefully I’m set for many years. :)

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Well I stayed in my budget on my gear and I’m not feeling any upgraditis yet. Hopefully I’m set for many years. :)
I’m in mostly the same boat but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t still desire a pair of Salk Song3 BeAT’s in a custom finish. Now as that is not a real need, I’ll likely be enjoying my Cantons for many more years as well.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m in mostly the same boat but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t still desire a pair of Salk Song3 BeAT’s in a custom finish. Now as that is not a real need, I’ll likely be enjoying my Cantons for many more years as well.
Well if I was to move and have a larger space, I might be tempted to look at towers. But for now I’m pretty happy. Those 77in LG OLED TVs always look good when I’m at Costco... LOL :)

T

tribulaun

Audiophyte
Hi there,

I have 4x the Canton Chrono SLS 720 + 1x the SLS 755 as a center. It was the first series with the decorative ring and was manufactured from 2012. The series lies between the Vento series and the Chrono SL series. Is the technology also identical? The first series with ceramic tweeters was the Vento xx20.2 series from 2011 (e.g. the 820.2) The Chrono SLS series came onto the market a year later and also had the ceramic tweeter, are they identical? And are they still identical to the 826.2 series? (apart from the titanium woofer)

I think the SLS is the cheapest series that you can currently get used. I got two used pieces for 200 euros, 200Euro for both

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the SLS series in this thread so far. I come from Germany, my English is not the best.

IMG-20220108-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hi there,

I have 4x the Canton Chrono SLS 720 + 1x the SLS 755 as a center. It was the first series with the decorative ring and was manufactured from 2012. The series lies between the Vento series and the Chrono SL series. Is the technology also identical? The first series with ceramic tweeters was the Vento xx20.2 series from 2011 (e.g. the 820.2) The Chrono SLS series came onto the market a year later and also had the ceramic tweeter, are they identical? And are they still identical to the 826.2 series? (apart from the titanium woofer)

I think the SLS is the cheapest series that you can currently get used. I got two used pieces for 200 euros, 200Euro for both

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the SLS series in this thread so far. I come from Germany, my English is not the best.

View attachment 52946
Nice looking speakers you got there!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

good job

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Hi there,

View attachment 52946
Beautiful setup! What is that Denon component on the right?

C

CommanderROR

Audiophyte
So...I am currently searching for a good Center Channel for my Canton system.
To make it short...I have been a happy owner and user of the Canton B100 Speakers, originally paired with the corresponding B50 Center. I wasn't completely happy with the B50 though, so I got a KEF Q650C Center instead. This works well with the B100 Towers, but I would love to return to a one-brand center soundstage.
I asked Canton, and they recommended the Vento 866.2 Center, this is quite expensive, and from the review I found, the off-axis response is actually worse than on the B50. Now, I sit on-axis most of the time, so that's a minor concern, however, off-axis sound can play a role through reflected sound so it's still not ideal.
I am a bit torn now between giving the B50 another chance, trying the new Townus 50 (replaces the Chrono SL) or ordering the 866.2 behemoth and seeing how that compares to the KEF Q650C.

Any suggestions what I might try first? My main gripe with the B50 was that it didn't "image" as well as the B100 do (or the Q650C) so the sound was bound to the Speaker more than I prefer. With the Q650 the Sound always seems to come straight from the screen, not the Speaker.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So...I am currently searching for a good Center Channel for my Canton system.
To make it short...I have been a happy owner and user of the Canton B100 Speakers, originally paired with the corresponding B50 Center. I wasn't completely happy with the B50 though, so I got a KEF Q650C Center instead. This works well with the B100 Towers, but I would love to return to a one-brand center soundstage.
I asked Canton, and they recommended the Vento 866.2 Center, this is quite expensive, and from the review I found, the off-axis response is actually worse than on the B50. Now, I sit on-axis most of the time, so that's a minor concern, however, off-axis sound can play a role through reflected sound so it's still not ideal.
I am a bit torn now between giving the B50 another chance, trying the new Townus 50 (replaces the Chrono SL) or ordering the 866.2 behemoth and seeing how that compares to the KEF Q650C.

Any suggestions what I might try first? My main gripe with the B50 was that it didn't "image" as well as the B100 do (or the Q650C) so the sound was bound to the Speaker more than I prefer. With the Q650 the Sound always seems to come straight from the screen, not the Speaker.
I replaced my Canton Vento center speaker with a bookshelf. Dialogue intelligibility was much improved, especially when not sitting in the MLP.

C

CommanderROR

Audiophyte
I replaced my Canton Vento center speaker with a bookshelf. Dialogue intelligibility was much improved, especially when not sitting in the MLP.
That's a good idea, but a bookshelf would be in the way of my TV, so it's not something I can do

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That's a good idea, but a bookshelf would be in the way of my TV, so it's not something I can do
I could change to a Vento bookshelf when I wall mounted my new TV. Yeah, so available space is a concern for many.

C

CommanderROR

Audiophyte
Sure. My TV is already mounted though, so I am out of options in that respect.
I am currently leaning towards trying the Townus 50 Center...found one at a surprisingly low price, considering the fact that it is still very new...

C

CommanderROR

Audiophyte
Quick Update:
I received my Townus 50 Center yesterday and am happy with it so far. Let it play in a bit then ran Audyssey and watched a little something. So far no complaints and it seems to mesh well with the B100 towers. Should the experience change I will report on it here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis