Replacing current speakers because of ear fatigue

Q

qba

Audioholic
Hi,

Thanks to the help of this forum I was finally able to fix all the sound quality issues I had and buy the missing piece for my office 2.1 music system set up. I love how clean the sound is now and I love the speakers. Well, I can't seem to enjoy the sound because my ears feel uncomfortable. :(

I started feeling ear fatigue or listening fatigue around two weeks ago, it gets better when I take a break for a day of not listening to music, but once I do after a while is like reinjuring a wound. After a while, I feel an unfordable feeling that forces me to turn off the music, the discomfort is not from distortion because the sound is clean at any level so far.

When I was researching to buy the Sony SSCS5 speakers, I find out from a few sources on youtube that those speakers caused hearing fatigue, I never heard of this before so I just ignored it. At this point, I'm not sure if the reason for the discomfort is really the speakers or not, so to find out I want to buy a good set of speakers at a higher price bracket, with the possibility of returning them, just in case the issue continues even with the more expensive ones.

So I need the help of the experts from this forum again! I want to narrow it down to a good set of bookshelf speakers, I was looking for speakers equivalent to the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52, the price could fluctuate a little bit higher.

Any other suggestions for speakers similar to the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52?

Thanks

Alex

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why not just get the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB 52 (that's a hell of a model number) and be done with it if you like those speakers? What do you mean by "equivalent"?

Q

qba

Audioholic
Thanks lovinthehd
Why not just get the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB 52 (that's a hell of a model number) and be done with it if you like those speakers?
I have never heard the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB 52, I'm just going for what others say and the price range, I was hoping some of you guys were familiar with them and could tell me first if they are any good and secondly if you guys have any other recommendation.

What do you mean by "equivalent"?
equivalent as in the similar quality or price range. I could be wrong but I thought those speakers were kind of like in the middle of the pack speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know what folk say about that speaker, I've never been near one, or any Elac, but seems they have a few good models....think its the DBR 62 that I've seen particularly good reports on? So budget is in the $450-700 range for a pair (using the list price if accurate, which knowing Amazon it might not be) ? Have you looked at this article? https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/bookshelf-2020

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I forget, think you mentioned it elsewhere, do you have any chance at going and listening to speakers?

Q

qba

Audioholic
I forget, think you mentioned it elsewhere, do you have any chance at going and listening to speakers?
Toronto has a bunch of HI Fi stores, but I have never been to one, I'm sure I can go and listen but I prefer to have something in mind before I go, or don't even go, so far you guys have been right with the subwoofer, I don't want to end up buying something because of the combination of my lack of knowledge in the subject and some pushy salesman.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Hi,

Thanks to the help of this forum I was finally able to fix all the sound quality issues I had and buy the missing piece for my office 2.1 music system set up. I love how clean the sound is now and I love the speakers. Well, I can't seem to enjoy the sound because my ears feel uncomfortable. :(

I started feeling ear fatigue or listening fatigue around two weeks ago, it gets better when I take a break for a day of not listening to music, but once I do after a while is like reinjuring a wound. After a while, I feel an unfordable feeling that forces me to turn off the music, the discomfort is not from distortion because the sound is clean at any level so far.

When I was researching to buy the Sony SSCS5 speakers, I find out from a few sources on youtube that those speakers caused hearing fatigue, I never heard of this before so I just ignored it. At this point, I'm not sure if the reason for the discomfort is really the speakers or not, so to find out I want to buy a good set of speakers at a higher price bracket, with the possibility of returning them, just in case the issue continues even with the more expensive ones.

So I need the help of the experts from this forum again! I want to narrow it down to a good set of bookshelf speakers, I was looking for speakers equivalent to the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52, the price could fluctuate a little bit higher.

Any other suggestions for speakers similar to the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52?

Thanks

Alex
I have the unifi 2.0 series and am thoroughly enjoying them (no listening fatigue whatsoever). If you want to go higher on the chain, you could try the Unifi reference speakers. When I spoke to Andrew Jones, he indicated that he attempted to trickle down many aspects of his $$$$$$ TAD speakers into the Unifi reference series. You could actually get routed to him personally when you called Elac America's customer service sometime ago (i.e before he left Elac)!!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Toronto has a bunch of HI Fi stores, but I have never been to one, I'm sure I can go and listen but I prefer to have something in mind before I go, or don't even go, so far you guys have been right with the subwoofer, I don't want to end up buying something because of the combination of my lack of knowledge in the subject and some pushy salesman.
Ah good to know you're not in US. I think we have a coupla folk in your area....maybe @PENG has some suggestions for you, or maybe he'd even invite you over for a listen of his gear! I think it would be a good idea and go check some speakers out, even if you can't afford them....get an idea of what variance in flavors there are out there.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Ah good to know you're not in US. I think we have a coupla folk in your area....maybe @PENG has some suggestions for you, or maybe he'd even invite you over for a listen of his gear! I think it would be a good idea and go check some speakers out, even if you can't afford them....get an idea of what variance in flavors there are out there.
Thanks lovinthehd!

Q

qba

Audioholic
So far all of these are within my price range in Amazon Canada and locally.

Wharfedale Diamond 225

KEF Q150

KEF Q350

Monitor Audio Bronze 50

NHT C Series C-1 2-Way

ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52

Klipsch RP-600M

DALI Oberon 3

Wharfedale Diamond 12.2

Top 3 from the list?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Stretch yourself and get these: HSU CCB-8

I bought them and don't regret them for a moment. (And I'm in Vancouver, BC)

Q

qba

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply Am_P, somehow I didn't see your post earlier :)

I have the unifi 2.0 series and am thoroughly enjoying them (no listening fatigue whatsoever). If you want to go higher on the chain, you could try the Unifi reference speakers. When I spoke to Andrew Jones, he indicated that he attempted to trickle down many aspects of his $$$$$$ TAD speakers into the Unifi reference series. You could actually get routed to him personally when you called Elac America's customer service sometime ago (i.e before he left Elac)!!
So you have the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52. No listening fatigue and the sound is nice? Are you using them to listen to music or just as part of a home theater?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So far all of these are within my price range in Amazon Canada and locally.

Wharfedale Diamond 225

KEF Q150

KEF Q350

Monitor Audio Bronze 50

NHT C Series C-1 2-Way

ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52

Klipsch RP-600M

DALI Oberon 3

Wharfedale Diamond 12.2

Top 3 from the list?
I did a system for someone using Elac towers with that same mid/HF coaxial unit.

It sounded pretty good, but not quite as good as I expected. On choral music in particular there was a slight hardness to the higher voices.

I obtained this FR from the tower speakers.

That rise from 3 to 7K I'm sure was the culprit. The 50 Hz peak was definitely audible, but these were tower speakers, and that would not apply to the speakers you are using. That rise between 3 and 7K is a bad place to have that happen, where as a dip in that region would probably not be audible or subtle.

I have heard KEF units with their coaxial drivers and liked them, but not had a chance to measure them or listen to them extensively.

You really do need to listen to speakers before purchase if you possibly can. From your preferences I would scratch the Klipsch and Dalis. You might be happy with the rest. Generally Far Eastern designed speakers are best avoided.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the reply Am_P, somehow I didn't see your post earlier :)

So you have the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52. No listening fatigue and the sound is nice? Are you using them to listen to music or just as part of a home theater?
Yes, UF52 floorstander, UC52 center, UB52 and Atmos modules. I use it on average...maybe 75% for music (2 channel with the floorstander and 2 ch upmixing/multichannel/Atmos music) 20% gaming and 5% movies. I can listen to music all day on these with no fatigue. Prior to the Elacs, i had all Klipsch in my multichannel setup and it hurt my ears and just sounded overall horrible (All the Klipsch fans would disagree and everyone has different ears indeed).

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Take the room into account also, if very bare and reflective that can cause listener fatigue, less if nearfield but that also depends on volume played at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Q

qba

Audioholic
I did a system for someone using Elac towers with that same mid/HF coaxial unit.

It sounded pretty good, but not quite as good as I expected. On choral music in particular there was a slight hardness to the higher voices.

I obtained this FR from the tower speakers.

That rise from 3 to 7K I'm sure was the culprit. The 50 Hz peak was definitely audible, but these were tower speakers, and that would not apply to the speakers you are using. That rise between 3 and 7K is a bad place to have that happen, where as a dip in that region would probably not be audible or subtle.

I have heard KEF units with their coaxial drivers and liked them, but not had a chance to measure them or listen to them extensively.

You really do need to listen to speakers before purchase if you possibly can. From your preferences I would scratch the Klipsch and Dalis. You might be happy with the rest. Generally Far Eastern designed speakers are best avoided.
Thanks TLS Guy for the very informative reply!

Q

qba

Audioholic
Yes, UF52 floorstander, UC52 center, UB52 and Atmos modules. I use it on average...maybe 75% for music (2 channel with the floorstander and 2 ch upmixing/multichannel/Atmos music) 20% gaming and 5% movies. I can listen to music all day on these with no fatigue. Prior to the Elacs, i had all Klipsch in my multichannel setup and it hurt my ears and just sounded overall horrible (All the Klipsch fans would disagree and everyone has different ears indeed).
Thanks Am_P, I see you are totally committed to the Elac, so based on your extensive experience with them have the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 attached to my 2.1 amp should sound pretty good without worrying about fatigue!

One to consider from the list :)

Q

qba

Audioholic
Take the room into account also, if very bare and reflective that can cause listener fatigue, less if nearfield but that also depends on volume played at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I sadly can do anything about the room, plus I'm sitting right in front of the speakers and maybe I should keep the levels low, but definitely, those speakers are prompt to cause fatigue for what I learn.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis