Will Probably Need to Replace the SR605 at This Point...Can Someone Help Choose a New AVR Based on Specific Needs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to shopping for new avr I'm a bit shy on Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer right now due their financial issues of late. Not too worried about their issues from the 2009-12 models, altho they did take care of mine as mine did have the network/hdmi board issue within the extended warranty....not sure if they had another issue like that if they would act the same way....I'd hope so but costs $. I'd like to see how well they survive (and this stay at home thing could well have been just the boost they needed) but I do like the idea of some of the new units coming with Dirac capability, sure as hell beats their AccuEQ after they ditched Audyssey years ago.

Personally I like the Denon 3700 for a nicely featured avr right now, altho depending on speakers and playback levels I might want an external amp (but that applies to most avrs anyways). I wouldn't particularly shy away from Yamaha normally, but they seem to be having some hiccups, but I really don't want to relearn avr terminology either; Onkyo and D&M generally at least use the same terminology (but haven't dug into their newest units/manuals).

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Wow...didn't expect this many replies this quickly, fellas...thanks...

I will reply in kind to each of you just as soon as I can, but in the meantime, let me say my Onkyo is from 07/08 so, yes, we definitely got our money's worth.
Bro, your a good AH member. Plus you been posting some cool movie recommendations on, what you watching tonight!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally I like the Denon 3700 for a nicely featured avr right now, altho depending on speakers and playback levels I might want an external amp (but that applies to most avrs anyways). I wouldn't particularly shy away from Yamaha normally, but they seem to be having some hiccups, but I really don't want to relearn avr terminology either; Onkyo and D&M generally at least use the same terminology (but haven't dug into their newest units/manuals)
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I think the Denon X3700H is the one to beat right now.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have a couple of Denon receivers (and a couple of Sony's - I know I'm an audioholic - a sick, sick, man... :cool: ) and the Denons have the functions you are looking for regarding volume setting. (I never bothered to set the Sony receivers but now I'll go look it up and see if it's possible.) I too say Receivers don't sound different Speakers do.

Check out this link under playback.

Denon AVR-X4700 Web Manual

IMHO, Denon offer the best value proposition in the market these days. The gap to others is narrow, but still there.
Lol, (I'm a sick sick man) lol. I haven't kept a AVR for longer than 3 year's over the past decade. There's No cure.:confused: More than likely two year's down the road, I'll be Lolo looking to replace the one I have now.. Don't ask why, it's something that I just do. lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm coming up on 5 years with my current model and so far so good still. Not really feeling the need to upgrade anytime soon either. If I can get another 5 years out of it I prolly will as long as my connections continue to stay current enough.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'm coming up on 5 years with my current model and so far so good still. Not really feeling the need to upgrade anytime soon either. If I can get another 5 years out of it I prolly will as long as my connections continue to stay current enough.
But Pogre, it also helps when you have those Subs and speakers you got. That's a upper level settup up you got bro. I'm thinking for buying a home in the next year. If I do, it's on!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I wasn't saying I necessarily believe that; I was merely reporting that there are some who have stated under YouTube videos of receiver reviews and on forums that the Onkyo sound is "punchier" or "livelier" than Denon's.
Yes, but of course.
There are people out there who believe the value of homeopathic remedies. ;) :)

ps. by the way, the remote button could be bad too. Do you get vide through it, out of it?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
But Pogre, it also helps when you have those Subs and speakers you got. That's a upper level settup up you got bro. I'm thinking for buying a home in the next year. If I do, it's on!
Yeah but I'm just as bad. I go through speakers like you do receivers! :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still, more audio variety by going thru speakers vs receivers....or you can collect both ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My 6012 is still doing everything I need it to. It’s been a great AVR so far. Nothing out there compelling me to think differently either.
I saw you summon me earlier about the codec thing. My thoughts on that are simple. Imo/ime DSU is much better than pro logic II. It will definitely take 2.0 material and apply it to all available speakers. Meaning that it will use the center channel as the OP desires, and appropriately everything else too. DSU is built to use height speakers too. But OP doesn’t have any, and it will be just fine. All upmixing will be great.

I liked your question about a new player causing the GUI issue. I also wonder if a soft reset might do the trick. Honestly though, I would use the situation as an excuse to move on to a new AVR, although I understand being reticent about new stuff. The Onkyo doesn’t owe him anything by now.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah but I'm just as bad. I go through speakers like you do receivers! :p
Lol, Umm back in 2018 I came really close to getting a pair of Legacy speakers. Andrew had given me a nice price.My oldest Son, talked me out of them. I live in apartments, he goes Dad, putting them speakers in that apartment would be like putting a Ferrari in the garage and you can't take it out for a spin. Pogre, them Focal speakers in that video that I was drooling over they're in my price range. :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol, Umm back in 2018 I came really close to getting a pair of Legacy speakers. Andrew had given me a nice price.My oldest Son, talked me out of them. I'm live in apartments, he goes Dad, putting them speakers in that apartment would be like putting a Ferrari in the garage and you can't take it out for a spin. Pogre, them Focal speakers in that video that I was drooling over they're in my price range. :D
Can't imagine living in an apartment....tried that in my late teens, hated it. Not just liking loud music, but hearing just about everything the neighbors were doing drove me nuts :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Still, more audio variety by going thru speakers vs receivers....or you can collect both ;)
Ha! Yup. Mr pairs of speakers and 5 receivers... lol
My 6012 is still doing everything I need it to. It’s been a great AVR so far. Nothing out there compelling me to think differently either.
If they come out with some 20k 3D holographic tech I might have to upgrade, but so far 8k doesn't interest me. 1080p and 4k still make me happy so I'm good to go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ha! Yup. Mr pairs of speakers and 5 receivers... lol

If they come out with some 20k 3D holographic tech I might have to upgrade, but so far 8k doesn't interest me. 1080p and 4k still make me happy so I'm good to go.
Only four avrs.....but two sets of 2ch analog preamps/amps! :) And a few other things here and there.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Can't imagine living in an apartment....tried that in my late teens, hated it. Not just liking loud music, but hearing just about everything the neighbors were doing drove me nuts :)
Chris, It's horrible sometimes. Where I'm at now is the best yet. No one on top, nothing behind or in front, just 2 apartments to the one I'm in. There old, 2 bedroom off the ground sitting on 18-in pillers. There's always one person who thinks they own the whole place cause they been there the longest. Over the last 20 years the longest I've stayed is 2 1/2 years in one place.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Go to your Setup - Inputs - Source Level for the somewhat equivalent to intellivolume thing. It's for the input as a whole, not individual channels....
Also, on both current Denon and Marantz AVRs, we can adjust the volume of each source separately in order to have equivalent volume when switching from one source to the other if necessary.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis