Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The RX-A8A is a Class D I am almost sure. Would be way hotter if not :)
Edit : looking for the information I am not sure anymore... ;)
Edi2: Basically you save me to wire it really wrong so THANK YOU !
RX-A8A is class A/B..sooo umm I'm not a audio engineer or anything close. But it's not difficult to distinguish between the two designs. I believe and I could be wrong class D amps have a switching power supply that's a lot smaller than the power supply in a class A/B amps. Maybe @PENG will chime in, he is a engineer of some kind if I remember. Something to do with microwaves and NASA I think.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
RX-A8A is class A/B..sooo umm I'm not a audio engineer or anything close. But it's not difficult to distinguish between the two designs. I believe and I could be wrong class D amps have a switching power supply that's a lot smaller than the power supply in a class A/B amps. Maybe @PENG will chime in, he is a engineer some kind if I remember. Something to do with microwaves and NASA I think.
Yes you are right / I was totally wrong. Modern old school amp class. I will have a try with the REL ability to be driven by both the LFE and the front speakers output... now I know how to wire it

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes you are right / I was totally wrong. Modern old school amp class. I will have a try with the REL ability to be driven by both the LFE and the front speakers output... now I know how to wire it
Good to hear it runs cool though. :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Kind of figured you did, So you got a Sub? Don't worry so much about wire's and cables all over, you'll figure something out to hide them. The most important thing is getting thing set up. You can always put down a really big rug run wire's and or cable's under it or they got these wire/cable thingy's you can buy to hide cables and wires.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Kind of figured you did, So you got a Sub? Don't worry so much about wire's and cables all over, you'll figure something out to hide them. The most important thing is getting thing set up. You can always put down a really big rug run wire's and or cable's under it or they got these wire/cable thingy's you can buy to hide cables and wires.
After reading about differences between SQ vs SPL I have decided to try a REL T9x. I totally understand that ported SVS would be way more punchy, bringing more dynamism when watching movies, but as I am spending more time to listen to music (I work from home so music allllll the time...) I lean toward something maybe more integrated within stereo listening. If not punchy enough I may some day buy another one, or replace it by a SVS PB3000. Life is made to make mistakes and to learn ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
After reading about differences between SQ vs SPL I have decided to try a REL T9x. I totally understand that ported SVS would be way more punchy, bringing more dynamism when watching movies, but as I am spending more time to listen to music (I work from home so music allllll the time...) I lean toward something maybe more integrated within stereo listening. If not punchy enough I may some day buy another one, or replace it by a SVS PB3000. Life is made to make mistakes and to learn ;)
This is just a myth. Rel for music lovers is pure marketing BS. Modern ported subs will pretty much always outperform sealed in all aspects but one: size.

C

chapp

Audioholic
This is just a myth. Rel for music lovers is pure marketing BS. Modern ported subs will pretty much always outperform sealed in all aspects but one: size.
I totally agree with you. My SVS PB 4000 is a monster, but feed anything to it music wise or movie and it simply kicks butt. My Eagles Farewell Tour in Melbourne is an attestation to this as well as all the others that are in my collection. Aquaman blew up my prior Paradigm (real good) sub, but the SVS shines with anything I challenge it with. Sounds simply fantastic.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Man, I'd love to have one of those SVS 4000 subs or one of those RBH subs like @Pogre has behind his sofa. What I have now may get me evicted.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I totally agree with you. My SVS PB 4000 is a monster, but feed anything to it music wise or movie and it simply kicks butt. My Eagles Farewell Tour in Melbourne is an attestation to this as well as all the others that are in my collection. Aquaman blew up my prior Paradigm (real good) sub, but the SVS shines with anything I challenge it with. Sounds simply fantastic.
This has been discussed ad nauseam with absolutely ZERO proof that there is something magical about a sealed Sub being for music and ported being for HT. @shadyJ has gone into this as well.

This Myth MUST DIE.

By the way, it's part of the AH Drinking game...

Everybody GET SOME! :p

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
I've read that the ideal sub for music should have a 'group delay' of less than 1.5 times the wavelength (?) of the note played - as in less than 15ms below 40 Hz. Or something like that - maybe I should look it up again? It used to be the case that ported subs had a delay of 70ms around the tuning frequency. Though what they are like now I don't know. I can almost never find that info on either ported or sealed.

Though on my most recent purchase (SVS SB2000 Pro), sealed obviously, it is within bounds - apart from below 30Hz IIRC. Which is okay as nothing much of my music goes so low. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've read that the ideal sub for music should have a 'group delay' of less than 1.5 times the wavelength (?) of the note played - as in less than 15ms below 40 Hz. Or something like that - maybe I should look it up again? It used to be the case that ported subs had a delay of 70ms around the tuning frequency. Though what they are like now I don't know. I can almost never find that info on either ported or sealed.

Though on my most recent purchase (SVS SB2000 Pro), sealed obviously, it is within bounds - apart from below 30Hz IIRC. Which is okay as nothing much of my music goes so low. :)
Just check Audioholics sub reviews. Shady almost always includes group delay with measurements in his articles. I can't recall any recent sub reviews that demonstrated more than 1.5 cycles within the audible range, sealed or ported. This is from his Monolith THX 16" ported sub review. You can see it remains below 1 cycle in almost all of its different modes, and never as high as 1.5.

image_large2 (2).jpeg

One consideration for sealed subs too is the amount of eq used for a lot of sealed designs to have useful infrasonic extension adds group delay also.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I believe you. As I said it's more for the compact size, the esthetic and the different way I can drive it. I will maybe learn that I want more and go for something beefier.. I understand that there is a part of marketing. I have seen some reviews that were saying that they were easier to integrate and to make them disappear, but I totally believe that a SVS-PB3000 well tune will be head and shoulder over this. I will learn...

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, somebody's starting Black Friday and Christmas shopping early. :D
I was thinking once you cross a certain price point with an AVR, going with a Pre-pro would make more sense. 5k can get you a very nice Pre-Pro paired up with a few amps.

C

chapp

Audioholic
I have had several sealed subs, including a current SVS paired with my Denon that's in another setup. They cannot compare to the current PB 4000, but sound is quite personal and I am not going to argue with anyone.
I personally never cared for Pre amps. I have had mono blocks and such, but since I am getting older, I just want simpler things and to me they never offered any advantage over a good AVR setup. Of course that is my opinion and this is why I am testing out the 8500 for myself after listening to some rave over it.
Sometimes specs are just a thing on paper, you have to try it out for yourself. And that my friends is the real deal. Not in the store or a made up setting, but in your own home environment with your own components.
regards.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have had several sealed subs, including a current SVS paired with my Denon that's in another setup. They cannot compare to the current PB 4000, but sound is quite personal and I am not going to argue with anyone.
I personally never cared for Pre amps. I have had mono blocks and such, but since I am getting older, I just want simpler things and to me they never offered any advantage over a good AVR setup. Of course that is my opinion and this is why I am testing out the 8500 for myself after listening to some rave over it.
Sometimes specs are just a thing on paper, you have to try it out for yourself. And that my friends is the real deal. Not in the store or a made up setting, but in your own home environment with your own components.
regards.
You have a point, I had a NAD Pre-Pro back in 2012, paired up with amps, and no it wasn't better than the AVR I had.

C

chapp

Audioholic
Man, I'd love to have one of those SVS 4000 subs or one of those RBH subs like @Pogre has behind his sofa. What I have now may get me evicted.
If you meant by your wife, I quite understand. The good thing is my wife enjoys heavy bass as much or maybe more than I, so acceptance factor has been conquered. I consider myself lucky?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking once you cross a certain price point with an AVR, going with a Pre-pro would make more sense. 5k can get you a very nice Pre-Pro paired up with a few amps.
Oh you know me, bro. :D

All separates is how I roll. :cool:

Even all my 12 subs have separate amps. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you meant by your wife, I quite understand. The good thing is my wife enjoys heavy bass as much or maybe more than I, so acceptance factor has been conquered. I consider myself lucky?
Same here man. My wife appreciates how good her music sounds with that sub Replicant mentioned. She tried to be a li'l crabby about it when I first brought it home but when she heard the difference she couldn't hide the grin on her face. She's usually off to the side in her chair when she listens to music and a third sub really improved bass at her seat. It made for a nice little feel good moment for me, and she's never complained about it since. She loves what it does for movies now too.

So I too, have conquered WAF! With superior sound! :p

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I installed the Yamaha RX-A8A. I did not have the time to calibrate it. I took the measurements from my RX-V6A and it is good for now. Here is a photo of the difference in size between the A8A and V6A.
View attachment 51582

The thing is massive and really heavy. 24 kg.
View attachment 51583

Placed it on top of the rack with the AC Infinity on top and it runs hotter than the V6A. 2 degrees hotter at -40db. My family is sleeping so I could not crank the volume past this value.

It connected without any issues to the eARC of the TV - LG OLED55C1, discovered and labeled correctly the attached devices, Shield and 2 Apple TV 4K. I connected only 5.1.2 speakers.
First observations:
- it did not perform any firmware update online. If tomorrow will not be present I will update by USB.
- for the first time I really heard the virtual back speakers while watching Locke & Key on Netflix in Dolby Atmos. Also I heard the virtual Dolby presence rear speakers. Wow!
- at the first hearing from spatial point of view, it sounds vastly better than the V6A.
- I am "happy" to report that the Dolby Vision bug on Shield, that produced black screen is present also on the A8A. At least in firmware 1.10.
- AI is behaving a bit strange when changing source, like is searching the right audio format cycling through different formats. I will see after the firmware update.
- so far no loss of sound when changing sources, no decoder off error that I had on the V6A.
- on eARC no Straight error when playing Youtube app on TV. I can select Drama or other DSP to upmix 2.0. On V6A on eArc the AVR defaulted to straight and was not possible to change to Drama or changing did not produce anything.

These are the first observations. I will attempt a calibration tomorrow on the same 5.1.2 to test again the virtual speakers and then one on 5.1.4 later, probably during the weekend.
I had one of those AC Infinity fans on top my my now dead and buried RX-A1020, I think all it does is suck in dust and grime to kill receivers sooner. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis