Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
So when you switching between sources, no pop noise?
On my A8A I haven't had any pop.

But my 2040 and Samsung soundbar I have had pops but it was not common so I think it was source based. Not sure though.

My A8A sounds amazing, no issues so far. My earc didn't work at first but that works now.

I didn't hear much difference between enhanced on and off. I have experimented with surround AI yet.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Thanks; I did several weeks ago and I am going through it. What model do you have? How do you find YPAO calibration?
I have the A6A, as far YPAO I am very familiar with it because it's all I've ever had. I use it along with REW, miniDsp and a Umik-1 mic.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Majorusa:
Have lots of fun configuring it. I did the YPAO with 8 positions including the angle measurements. The distances were set correct, but the crossovers varied and speakers were all set to large. I disabled all enhancements including YPAO volume. I reset the speakers to "small" and crossover to 80Hz. I then checked/set the speaker levels with a SPL meter. I have a few different configurations on a few Patterns and can change these to my liking for different materials. The Scene function is also a good feature to setup for various viewing/ listening. I have ones for Music, Movies, TV viewing and can use it to switch Patterns in an instant. This works out great for me using the Web setup and the unit syncs immediately to your input. Apart from the "pop" that I am experiencing at times, I like the A8A.
Seems like I am going to get my hands on a Denon 8500HA, I will let you all know how it compares to the A8A.
regards.
Would love to know what you think about the Denon. I think it’s correct to compare these amps even if here the Denon is two grants more expensive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have the A6A, as far YPAO I am very familiar with it because it's all I've ever had. I use it along with REW, miniDsp and a Umik-1 mic.
So that means use YPAO first, then copy to manual PEQ and use manual PEQ to adjust what you want - like EQ the bass under 200Hz using REW/UMIK-1?

C

chapp

Audioholic
So when you switching between sources, no pop noise?
The pop is intermittent. I am trying to localize it by doing some more tests which is going to take some time and may cause me to pull out my remaining hair.

C

chapp

Audioholic
Would love to know what you think about the Denon. I think it’s correct to compare these amps even if here the Denon is two grants more expensive.
I may be getting the 8500HA tomorrow and will be hooking it up to the exact setup as the A8A, so I will report back with my findings. I already have the audyssey app for my tablet.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I may be getting the 8500HA tomorrow and will be hooking it up to the exact setup as the A8A, so I will report back with my findings. I already have the audyssey app for my tablet.
That 8500 is a lot of AVR..I believe if you do get one you'd be the 1st on AH to do so that I know of. Indeed post up your thoughts.

Last edited:
J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
How good was the ypao. I am thinking of getting a professional in the calibrate my system more. Is it worth it? Or the ypao good enough?

C

chapp

Audioholic
How good was the ypao. I am thinking of getting a professional in the calibrate my system more. Is it worth it? Or the ypao good enough?
I never liked the YPAO on the previous Yamahas, however, I have done the 8 positions plus the angle on the A8A and after some tuning to my liking, I think it was greatly improved and fairly good. I have played around with Audyssey and even with REW. I like things more simplified and the YPAO is not complicated if you follow the guidelines. I am now a senior and have been doing this calibration for a long time. Just don't think that you can sit all over the place and experience the same effects. There will always be the SweetSpot. Play around with it and you'll get some experience and love yourself for not hiring some person who will do the same as you can do. Keep at it and the members here will surely guide you in the right direction. Lots of Pro's in this forum, and there is a multitude of information out there. You should get yourself a SPL meter, or an app to run on your phone. I like the older analog meter.
Good luck.
I just confirmed that I'll be getting the 8500HA in the morning. I believe that I will be getting another A8A, too, that may come next week.

D

Dezed

Enthusiast
I think once it starts working you’ll be disappointed if it’s like the atmos on Xbox series X. I measured that even when connected to the receiver it adds over 100ms latency to audio over regular 7.1 lpcm. I expect this to be the case cuz it’s the same tech in both. But let’s see if you get it resolved.

For gaming yes. This is because xbox is using Dolby atmos mat similar to Apple TV.
On PC I was able to get the dts-x software for gaming and it actually works well with no noticeable latency. So you can use dual outputs on your video card / onboard graphics - video card hdmi to tv, onboard graphics hdmi to receiver for audio, so that’ll let you get 120hz vrr 4k with spatial audio.

PS5 is solved cuz of no atmos or dts-x support, so lpcm over earc is fine.

Xbox series x is the only one not ideal where you have to put up with 120ms of lag on atmos cuz dts doesn’t pass through LG earc. Once we get the Yamaha firmware we can do DTS-X with the Xbox connected to the receiver

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I never liked the YPAO on the previous Yamahas, however, I have done the 8 positions plus the angle on the A8A and after some tuning to my liking, I think it was greatly improved and fairly good. I have played around with Audyssey and even with REW. I like things more simplified and the YPAO is not complicated if you follow the guidelines. I am now a senior and have been doing this calibration for a long time. Just don't think that you can sit all over the place and experience the same effects. There will always be the SweetSpot. Play around with it and you'll get some experience and love yourself for not hiring some person who will do the same as you can do. Keep at it and the members here will surely guide you in the right direction. Lots of Pro's in this forum, and there is a multitude of information out there. You should get yourself a SPL meter, or an app to run on your phone. I like the older analog meter.
Good luck.
I just confirmed that I'll be getting the 8500HA in the morning. I believe that I will be getting another A8A, too, that may come next week.
Wow, so your gonna have over $8K of AVR's sitting in your home. Please do post up pics!

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Just ordered a sub (please don't hate me because of my less home theater oriented choice)
I went for a REL T/9x because of a mix of look, size, specs, hardware that allows to drive this sub in a lot of different way (you can plug this sub to left/right front speaker output to get then playing so part of the front channel bass, don't know if I will use that feature).

Edit : I wont, it's only applying if your amp is a class A or AB. Not compatible with the RX-A8A class D amp
Edit 2 : it's actually is, the wiring is just different...

Last edited:
C

chapp

Audioholic
Pics of the Big boys hanging together
IMG_6004.jpg
IMG_6007.jpg
IMG_6008_black.jpg

Denon 8500HA next to Yamaha A8A and the A3000 at bottom.
Initial view: The Denon and the Yamaha is exactly the same size(maybe a few cms difference) The weight of the 2 units don't seem any different although the Denon is about 3 lbs more. Well, to me anything over 20 lbs is heavy. The Aventage 3000, although about 40 lbs seems small in comparison. From the rear you can see the "A" showing the new unit. When the unit is powered on, it indicates that its the 8500HA etc. So far I like the display of the Denon and the front connections.
More to follow as the SHOOT OUT BEGINS...

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Pics of the Big boys hanging togetherView attachment 51621View attachment 51622View attachment 51623

Denon 8500HA next to Yamaha A8A and the A3000 at bottom.
Initial view: The Denon and the Yamaha is exactly the same size(maybe a few cms difference) The weight of the 2 units don't seem any different although the Denon is about 3 lbs more. Well, to me anything over 20 lbs is heavy. The Aventage 3000, although about 40 lbs seems small in comparison. From the rear you can see the "A" showing the new unit. When the unit is powered on, it indicates that its the 8500HA etc. So far I like the display of the Denon and the front connections.
More to follow
You got some nice Toys!

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
Just ordered a sub (please don't hate me because of my less home theater oriented choice)
I went for a REL T/9x because of a mix of look, size, specs, hardware that allows to drive this sub in a lot of different way (you can plug this sub to left/right front speaker output to get then playing so part of the front channel bass, don't know if I will use that feature).

Edit : I wont, it's only applying if your amp is a class A or AB. Not compatible with the RX-A8A class D amp
Edit 2 : it's actually is, the wiring is just different...
The REL stuff has plenty of fans, so it must be doing something right. It is one of the few manufacturers who support high-level connection for stereo.

I have used high level connection in the past and bought my KEF KC62 sub with a view to connect it high level in my bedroom system. Though not got round to it yet.

I'm pretty sure (99.9%) that Yamaha use class AB topology in all the Aventage range. They make class D amps - but not for AVRs. So don't get that wiring wrong. :)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
The REL stuff has plenty of fans, so it must be doing something right. It is one of the few manufacturers who support high-level connection for stereo.

I have used high level connection in the past and bought my KEF KC62 sub with a view to connect it high level in my bedroom system. Though not got round to it yet.

I'm pretty sure (99.9%) that Yamaha use class AB topology in all the Aventage range. They make class D amps - but not for AVRs. So don't get that wiring wrong. :)
The RX-A8A is a Class D I am almost sure. Would be way hotter if not :)
Edit : looking for the information I am not sure anymore... ;)
Edi2: Basically you save me to wire it really wrong so THANK YOU !

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis