Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I had tried the resetting method a few times at first, but it did not do anything. I am now at the point of "disgust" because I have tried so many things to solve it and to convince myself to keep this A8A. It is so difficult to get my hands on another unit and this is why I am asking around if anyone else has experienced this with their unit. I will keep on trying different things (if I can come up with any) until the near end of the
return window and hoping that I can receive my other back ordered unit prior to returning this one.

regards.
I am sorry for your troubles. The pops that you hear are specific when paying sound on one device or are on all devices? Only when playing TV content through eARC or ARC? Or you hear it when you play content from a device hooked directly to the AVR?
What decoder is used when the pops are audible? If you use pure direct it still pops?

C

chapp

Audioholic
Majorusa:
Have lots of fun configuring it. I did the YPAO with 8 positions including the angle measurements. The distances were set correct, but the crossovers varied and speakers were all set to large. I disabled all enhancements including YPAO volume. I reset the speakers to "small" and crossover to 80Hz. I then checked/set the speaker levels with a SPL meter. I have a few different configurations on a few Patterns and can change these to my liking for different materials. The Scene function is also a good feature to setup for various viewing/ listening. I have ones for Music, Movies, TV viewing and can use it to switch Patterns in an instant. This works out great for me using the Web setup and the unit syncs immediately to your input. Apart from the "pop" that I am experiencing at times, I like the A8A.
Seems like I am going to get my hands on a Denon 8500HA, I will let you all know how it compares to the A8A.
regards.

C

chapp

Audioholic
I am sorry for your troubles. The pops that you hear are specific when paying sound on one device or are on all devices? Only when playing TV content through eARC or ARC? Or you hear it when you play content from a device hooked directly to the AVR?
What decoder is used when the pops are audible? If you use pure direct it still pops?
To tell the truth, I have been doing and trying so many things to solve the damn issue that now I have to go back and test out again. I know for certain that it does it within an app from the TV and sometimes if I go into the setup of the TV and move around and exit. It does it when sometimes when watching TV programs OTA. This happens once in a while like when the sound first comes on. I have not heard it using my Sony X800 UHD player direct connect to amp. Apple TV direct connect to amp, I cannot remember and have to re test as I gave the box to my daughter and have to get my hands on another. I do not use any enhancements or DSP's. Just "Straight" or "AUTO". I use Auto when using the TV programs/apps. I will have to give the PURE Direct another try as I cannot remember this, too.

regards.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all: I am new here from South Fl. Been into AV since a kid, currently a senior and trying to get around the new A8A which replaced an aged RX-A3000. I have a 7.1.4 setup with PSB's Image 6T towers, 9C center, 10S surrounds and surround backs and recently added 4 SVS Prime Elevations. Sub is a SVS PB4000. All connected to a Sony 85X90CH(900H). Also Akai GXM50, Technics SL1200, Denon CD player. Sony X800 UHD player. Plus a lot of vintage gear.
The new A8A is quite good so far, but I have noticed the delay and sound dropout from HBO as others did. I also have been experiencing a "Pop" sound intermittently, from various speaker (not always from the same one) when I am within a streaming app changing programs, or exiting the app. Sometimes when I go into the TV setup and exit out I hear a pop, too. This is not continuous, but happens sometimes. Does it with You Tube also. I have mentioned this in another forum and just need to know if others have experienced anything like this with their A8A. I really want to know if this is an issue as my time to return is still active.
I have tried changing several HDMI cables(8k certified etc.) switching off eArc. I have turned off all enhancements etc. as I do not use these, but I have not been able to get rid of this "POP". I would appreciate your response.

Thanks
chaap.
Have you isolated the pop down to one of your sources like your display as an example?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
To tell the truth, I have been doing and trying so many things to solve the damn issue that now I have to go back and test out again. I know for certain that it does it within an app from the TV and sometimes if I go into the setup of the TV and move around and exit. It does it when sometimes when watching TV programs OTA. This happens once in a while like when the sound first comes on. I have not heard it using my Sony X800 UHD player direct connect to amp. Apple TV direct connect to amp, I cannot remember and have to re test as I gave the box to my daughter and have to get my hands on another. I do not use any enhancements or DSP's. Just "Straight" or "AUTO". I use Auto when using the TV programs/apps. I will have to give the PURE Direct another try as I cannot remember this, too.

regards.
Umm, that's interesting so it's not doing it all the time and it's not doing it when switching sources or certain sources? I should've also stated that the Pop my Son was getting also did it randomly. He could go hour's and out of no where's Pop! And it was loud! I hate to see you have to send it back for a exchange or refund. Defects do happen though, maybe get with Yamaha CS, so they know about what your unit is doing.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you using EARC from the display to the AVR? If so, switch the display connection to another HDMI input and see if the pop follows. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the different type of HDMI connection settings within the AVR menu. If its not happening with any other HDMI sources and only the display, there is a mismatch in settings between the display and the AVR.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Are you using EARC from the display to the AVR? If so, switch the display connection to another HDMI input and see if the pop follows. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the different type of HDMI connection settings within the AVR menu. If its not happening with any other HDMI sources and only the display, there is a mismatch in settings between the display and the AVR.
Nice catch, I missed that reading his post.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic

regards.
Reading through your posts I realized that after the last firmware update my V6A was doing the same thing when changing source from TV to one of the TV's HDMI inputs where there was an Apple TV connected. It did this only when a DSP program was selected. It was really loud. I moved the Apple TV to the AVR and the pop disappeared.
I do not know if it is the same symptom but taking into consideration that the Shield Dolby Vision bug was inherited in the A8A, most likely the pop bug was inherited too.

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
I may then cut the left side of my cabinet to get some space for a subwoofer. It’s the only place I can put a sub (or below my amp but then there will be obstacles to sound propagation). Was naively thinking the subwoofer would send most of the sound toward/through face. I can’t have exposed wires, my old dog would for sure get caught in it. The poor dog has a very bad mobility and hit everything.
Thank you for advices about placement and REL. Actually it’s harder to place a Sub as you need a power outlet not too far and to get some wire from the amp to the sub.
Edit: It seems that there are two families, subwoofers more home theater intended like SVS, that you will perceive as active and punchy, and more “integrated” and blended subs that add to the columns. I will for sure be more interested by the second family because I see the sub as something to improve music listening first. I totally get that a SVS PB3000 will provide a better theater feeling but I am already shaken by my speakers without any subs so I want a bit more but we’ll integrated.
Hold off with that chainsaw for now! :D

A couple of months ago I bought a KEF KC62, small opposing driver sub, for my bedroom where I have some KEF LS50 Metas to pair it with. Though I did some tests on it in the lounge first. Now it has five placement settings so I tested them to see what they did. One set on a stand in free air, the other in a cubby-hole in a bookcase behind me.

KC62.png

Now I've separated the graphs out so they can be clearly seen, the levels are all really the same. All taken at two feet with a Umik-1 calibrated microphone.

Now I had expected the measurements done when it was fairly tightly fitted into in the case to be slightly different - but can you tell the difference between the upper five and the lower five? :)

p.s. the only switch position which made any difference was the 'apartment' mode. The other switch positions were put there for the marketing people. And no, I don't recommend the KEF KC62 or its bigger brother except in very limited circumstances.

J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
To the Yamaha RX-A2/4/6/8/A owners - how do you find the smaller display on the front of the AVR? Is the print large enough to read from your primary viewing position or do you need to move close up to view? Also, does this new display show the actual speakers in use?

C

chapp

Audioholic
I am going over all my tests once again and am currently using an Apple TV 4K connected to hdmi 4 of the AVR and testing with "Straight" as well as "Auto" on the AVR. I will also do the same with the Sony X800 UHD player which is connected to hdmi 1 on AVR.
My display Sony X90CH is connected via eArc (hdmi 3) to the AVR eArc. In the past, I have tried various settings within the TV as well as within the AVR. I have turned off eArc in both and each but it did nothing. However, I am on another quest with this system before calling it quits.
Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions and I hope you guys enjoy your system without any hiccups.
regards.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
To the Yamaha RX-A2/4/6/8/A owners - how do you find the smaller display on the front of the AVR? Is the print large enough to read from your primary viewing position or do you need to move close up to view? Also, does this new display show the actual speakers in use?
I am just checking if I am receiving PCM, Dolby Atmos etc... and what the source is
No issue viewing this twelve feet from the amp

C

chapp

Audioholic
The new display is really not as large as the previous Aventage series, however, the volume display gets huge when you use the volume function and it displays on the TV as well with some of the inputs. You can configure the display to show the decoding format or the speakers, but not together. But, you can see all of this information on screen using the remote. You can configure a program key on the remote to match the display function and this make things easier. My RX-A3000 remote works with this unit and it makes it a lot easier as the buttons are numerous.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
It could've been a lil bigger. But I can see it, I really don't use it that much, OSD of course is King.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Start on page 29 of the manual.

J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
The new display is really not as large as the previous Aventage series, however, the volume display gets huge when you use the volume function and it displays on the TV as well with some of the inputs. You can configure the display to show the decoding format or the speakers, but not together. But, you can see all of this information on screen using the remote. You can configure a program key on the remote to match the display function and this make things easier. My RX-A3000 remote works with this unit and it makes it a lot easier as the buttons are numerous.
Thank you; this is very helpful. I am upgrading from a Yamaha RX-A770 and evaluating the A8A and the Denon X6700H. I am getting down to the finer points including differences in calibration. Wasn't satisfied with the 770 calibration. I hope the A8A YPAO is a significant improvement.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Thank you; this is very helpful. I am upgrading from a Yamaha RX-A770 and evaluating the A8A and the Denon X6700H. I am getting down to the finer points including differences in calibration. Wasn't satisfied with the 770 calibration. I hope the A8A YPAO is a significant improvement.
You can download the manuals pre purchase. That's what I did before I bought mine. I knew it pretty well by the time I actually received it. ;)

J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
You can download the manuals pre purchase. That's what I did before I bought mine. I knew it pretty well by the time I actually received it. ;)
Thanks; I did several weeks ago and I am going through it. What model do you have? How do you find YPAO calibration?

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Umm, that's interesting so it's not doing it all the time and it's not doing it when switching sources or certain sources? I should've also stated that the Pop my Son was getting also did it randomly. He could go hour's and out of no where's Pop! And it was loud! I hate to see you have to send it back for a exchange or refund. Defects do happen though, maybe get with Yamaha CS, so they know about what your unit is doing.
I had that pop before and get it on my soundbar too sometimes. I definitely think it's the source not the receiver. I can't remember but I have this one movie that always would pop when pausing and un pausing or something like that

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I had that pop before and get it on my soundbar too sometimes. I definitely think it's the source not the receiver. I can't remember but I have this one movie that always would pop when pausing and un pausing or something like that
So when you switching between sources, no pop noise?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis