Ok, this surprised me, JBL 520C [emoji44]

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ah ha! There's where you might be running into differences! You're using the same correction curve meant for the 125 on the 520. You really should run Audyssey again when replacing any speaker.
Yeah ya know it didn't think of that. To be quite honest, I'm thinking of turning off Audyssey and just setting the levels with the SPL meter old school. I really don't really to go through Audyssey again but I guess I should or have to really. You know how nuts we get with this hobby so it'll drive me nuts if I don't now. I'll actually have an empty house tonight for an hour or 2. This why I love Audioholics and you guys. Always get to the solution or issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well to be fair I never properly set the A125C with an SPL meter, I just let Audyssey set it. Maybe -1 wasn't correct either, in fact I'd that most likely the case. Don't forget, it's not +6, it s +5. I bumped it up one. In any event it sounds excellent and not out of balance.

I would think that the 125C would have been set to a higher db as it’s got a different driver in my thinking anyway . Hey if it sounds good great that’s what your after good seamless front stage . I’ve know experience with the 520 at all . But I’ve had a lot of other jbl centers but never had to go that far of a boost with any compression drivers are very efficient for an amp to drive . But that’s hard for me to base that as I use outboard amps and enough power I never have to think about over driving the preamp output’s . It just seems high to me . Iam not familiar with audessey or it’s workings. Did you use a one point placement on setup or multiple places .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yeah ya know it didn't think of that. To be quite honest, I'm thinking of turning off Audyssey and just setting the levels with the SPL meter old school. I really don't really to go through Audyssey again but I guess I should or have to really. You know how nuts we get with this hobby so it'll drive me nuts if I don't now.
I'll actually have an empty house tonight for an hour or 2. This why I love Audioholics and you guys. Always get to the solution or issue.

If running on the old eq settings and levels from the old center setup @Pogre is right .

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If running on the old eq settings and levels from the old center setup @Pogre is right .
Yeah that's the issue here I think. I'm gonna rerun Audyssey again for the millionth time. I'm curious now. I have the Audyssey app so this should be interesting.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yeah that's the issue here I think. I'm gonna rerun Audyssey again for the millionth time. I'm curious now. I have the Audyssey app so this should be interesting.

I’d definitely rerun it . On mine this summer when I switched out centers I went from a jbl LC-2 4 way center to a bigger jbl with compression drivers and actually it set this new center at 0 db down from + 1.5 on the old which I thought was strange but it just is a cleaner more efficient driver setup and it’s a 3-way it’s just a difference in technology.

G

Genchic

Audioholic
You should run Audyssey even if you slightly move speakers, definitely rerun when you change them. I recomend saving the raw run, and tweak after. If you don't like the results, you don't need to run it again, just upload the raw file back to your AVR. All it takes a minut.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You should run Audyssey even if you slightly move speakers, definitely rerun when you change them. I recomend saving the raw run, and tweak after. If you don't like the results, you don't need to run it again, just upload the raw file back to your AVR. All it takes a minut.

Yeah I'm gonna run it again today when I get home from work. I almost took a half day because I want to do it now. I'm gonna check levels though with my SPL meter too.

G

Genchic

Audioholic
Use Audyssey app. It is so much more flexible.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah ya know it didn't think of that. To be quite honest, I'm thinking of turning off Audyssey and just setting the levels with the SPL meter old school.
The way you worded your op made it sound like you ran Audyssey and you had to go behind it and bump the cc level by 6 dB. Knowing you did not re-run Audyssey, now it all makes perefect sense. You can't just drop a new speaker in there and expect good results when the channel is still calibrated for the old speaker. I knew it had to be something else.

I would at least let Audyssey handle your bass. In my experience it does a pretty good job of flattening the fr in my room. You can limit it to 200 hz (or whatever range you choose) and down if you like, tho it will still set your levels and distances. Easy enough to double check that when you're done tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, if you're gonna run a setup again this might be a good opportunity for you to try that nearfield configuration idea you were flirting with a while back! ;)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The way you worded your op made it sound like you ran Audyssey and you had to go behind it and bump the cc level by 6 dB. Knowing you did not re-run Audyssey, now it all makes perefect sense. You can't just drop a new speaker in there and expect good results when the channel is still calibrated for the old speaker. I knew it had to be something else.

I would at least let Audyssey handle your bass. In my experience it does a pretty good job of flattening the fr in my room. You can limit it to 200 hz (or whatever range you choose) and down if you like, tho it will still set your levels and distances. Easy enough to double check that when you're done tho.
I'm gonna rerun Audyssey even though I can't stand going through 8 mic positions. It's just a pain hit butt to get out the mic, get out the tripod, and move out all around, extend the legs then retract. Every time I run Audyssey, every time it's like the airport just opened up and there are planes every 5 seconds. I know I'm complaining too much.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah, it's the first thing I do when I'm finished with the Audyssey calibration.

Good call! I couldn’t remember if that was covered in last conversations or not. Figured I’d drop it in here anyways.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'm gonna rerun Audyssey even though I can't stand going through 8 mic positions. It's just a pain hit butt to get out the mic, get out the tripod, and move out all around, extend the legs then retract. Every time I run Audyssey, every time it's like the airport just opened up and there are planes every 5 seconds. I know I'm complaining too much.

I broke down and bought a boom mic stand cheap too took all that stuff I hated about doing 8 point calibrations lol .

G

Genchic

Audioholic
Audyssey diagram is decisive. You shouldn't be moving microphone more than 2 feet away from position 1. Even 2 feet is a little too much. In my case, I change tripod hight only one time. And, do not go behind your couch.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
+1 to running Audyssey with the new Speaker. This is a must. If nothing else, Audyssey is very good at setting Levels and Distance/delays.

With the App, you can set a Curtain to the Schroeder Frequency of your room and only correct the Bass Frequencies.

I disagree with Genchic... Follow Audyssey instruction to the letter. Het, we've been over this before, and you had sh!tty results when you followed bad advice. When you listened to us and did it right, you were happy, right?

Personally, I do not care if you turn Aud off or or leave it on, or make smiley faces in your Editor App if that is what makes you happy. ;) But as many of us seem to agree, following the instructions so Aud can work the way it is intended is an absolute must. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
+1 to running Audyssey with the new Speaker. This is a must. If nothing else, Audyssey is very good at setting Levels and Distance/delays.

With the App, you can set a Curtain to the Schroeder Frequency of your room and only correct the Bass Frequencies.

I disagree with Genchic... Follow Audyssey instruction to the letter. Het, we've been over this before, and you had sh!tty results when you followed bad advice. When you listened to us and did it right, you were happy, right?

Personally, I do not care if you turn Aud off or or leave it on, or make smiley faces in your Editor App if that is what makes you happy. ;) But as many of us seem to agree, following the instructions so Aud can work the way it is intended is an absolute must. :)
Yeah I'm never running Audyssey without following Audyssey instructions to the T. I go through every position, I don't skip, I move the mic, I use the legs of the tripod. I learned my lesson with that one too.
I can't wait to run Audyssey in a little bit just to see the results. This is gonna be one interesting experiment. Stay tuned for the results.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I broke down and bought a boom mic stand cheap too took all that stuff I hated about doing 8 point calibrations lol .
Yeah I need to buy one of those soon. Do all with the same, you need one that you can screw on to the Audyssey mic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis