Ok, this surprised me, JBL 520C [emoji44]

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the Audyssey numbers are calculated based on 8 different positions, the SPL is reading from one. I agree with pogre, trust Audyssey. It does a good job in system calibration to a given room.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Basic levels/distance is done with position 1, tho.
What are the "offsets" for? Any reason to mess with it or leave it at 0? This sounds amazing right now. Watching "The Bourne supremacy". Whew awesome!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
There is some of Audyssey's info on DEQ/RLO in this thread, used to be another one that I think was better but can't find at the moment https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347383?page=2#comment_203989263

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
G

Genchic

Audioholic
Turn on Dinamic Volume and set it to Light.
See if you like it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, I'm loving this now that put things back up ever Audyssey set it. Got it on reference and it's sounding great.

Fwiw. I never use DEQ or Dynamic Volume.

Is DEQ set to on?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Turn on Dinamic Volume and set it to Light.
See if you like it.

Ya know I tried that but didn't stick. That's supposed to be used at lower volumes right? I'll have to try it again at night when I listen at a lower volume to see how I like it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya know I tried that but didn't stick. That's supposed to be used at lower volumes right? I'll have to try it again at night when I listen at a lower volume to see how I like it.

No. Its dynamic range compression. Basically levels all the volume between commercials etc. I can’t stand that shitt. To each his own though.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No. Its dynamic range compression. Basically levels all the volume between commercials etc. I can’t stand that shitt. To each his own though.
Yeah I have rarely used it, I think maybe once or twice I first got my X3400H.

G

Genchic

Audioholic
That is Volume Manager, under Surround Parameters.
Dinamic Volume widens frequency when Volume is low. Works very well.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I'm glad I went back to the original Audyssey settings. This sounds really, really good. The 520C sound excellent, dialog is intelligable. It all sounds balanced and quite excellent.
Watching "Toy story 3" with the kid right now at -25 which is pretty low and dialog is perfectly intelligable, and clear. Audyssey reference, offset 0.
I'm glad I made the move to JBL studio speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That is Volume Manager, under Surround Parameters.
Dinamic Volume widens frequency when Volume is low. Works very well.

I think you might be confusing that with dynamicEQ.

The volume manager under surround parameters enables dynamic range compression adjustments.

Dvolume adjusts the dynamic range in the fly so the loud and quiet parts are closer to each other. Makes it so quiet parts are closer to the volume of louder parts.

Edit2: widens frequency when volume is low. What exactly does that mean? If you mean boosts low and high Frequencies then yes. That’s dynamicEQ. Looks like this directly from the processor.

It doesn’t “widen” anything. It just boosts what’s already there at lower volume.

Last edited:
G

Genchic

Audioholic
That is what I ment, but you worded it better. Bottom line, it improves sound dramatically.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That is what I ment, but you worded it better. Bottom line, it improves sound dramatically.

I personally don’t like DEQ, as I use a minidsp to creat my own house curve, and usually listen at fairly high volumes. DEQ also boosts surround levels, AND rear tops. But not front tops. That’s really odd imo.
Like I said though, to each his own. Mileage included lol.

G

Genchic

Audioholic
I wish I could listen to my system as loud. I live in condo. Naighbours wouldn't appreciate it. LoL.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

It levels off and kills the dynamics is what it does. I don't ever use it, but I do like the bass boost from Dynamic EQ.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It levels off and kills the dynamics is what it does. I don't ever use it, but I do like the bass boost from Dynamic EQ.
Same here, I totally agree. I like what DEQ does but don't use dynamic volume. I live in a townhouse and I'm constantly worried about neighbors. I honestly don't know how I haven't a neighbor come over with a gun. I mean I try like hell to be good, respectful, and a good neighbor. I have never, not once had this HT over -20. That's the loudest I go with it. The subs though, we all know that travels. What really stinks is it's like having a Ferrari but can't go over 50 MPH.
Need a house soon!
I'm doing some research on acoustic panels and treatments. I've done this before and gave up because it gets too complicated and too expensive and annoying. I'm looking at it a bit. The back wall I'm 100% sure could use some absorbtion. Not a ton, just a bit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis