Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I use those Monoprice ones. No soldering. Putting them together is a meditative act.
:)
It's all for convenience then, is that what we are all saying. Easier to plug a ton of banana plugs without the risk of a stray wire.

So I am thinking of just banana plugs on the receiver end, not the speaker end.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a little something I found on another forum, may be helpful for one looking to see what your getting.
Screenshot_20211102-195515-524~5.png

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I am using Blue Jeans Cable locking banana plugs. The speaker wires are held in place by two set screws in each plug and they work great. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm
I used something similar for my speakers in home but has anyone used these Ferrule connectors or crimp ons as opposed to bare wire? Honestly if I did this again I’d use this.

VLIKE Ferrule Crimper Pliers Set Wire Crimping Tool Kit with 1200 Terminal Connector Sleeves Electricians Contractors Repair Support Ferrule Crimper Pliers for Stripper Wiring Projects

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077VGG18B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8FR14KDNNSESPS4TSQ6Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I just have used a couple dozen of these with my sons rather major custom speaker and amp install in his car and they do a good job of keeping stray wires from flying around on stranded cable. Wish they could double as a banana plug too.

Anyone used these for home speaker hookups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I got my HTM71 S2 central speaker yesterday, that will complete my speaker setup (B&W 707 S2 for surround and B&W 704 S1 front columns). From what I am reading, while B&W is doing well for speakers, it's not worth it when it's about subwoofers. What would you recommend that would perform well with the RX-A8A (does the amp have any impact on subwoofer as the subwoofer is self amplified ?) and my B&W speakers ?

The RX-A8A is supposedly available by November the 15th here in Quebec

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Always recommended to avoid most Speaker manufacturer Subs. ;)
Your up north? Paradigm defiance are well regarded, SVS is available up there too, but can be pricey. If you want something really awesome check out Funk Audio and Harbottle: they have a relationship but are their own companies. Funk is super high end, but sexy AF. ;)
Also, the Arendal Subs are worth looking at, and they include all shipping and customs in their pricing.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I got my HTM71 S2 central speaker yesterday, that will complete my speaker setup (B&W 707 S2 for surround and B&W 704 S1 front columns). From what I am reading, while B&W is doing well for speakers, it's not worth it when it's about subwoofers. What would you recommend that would perform well with the RX-A8A (does the amp have any impact on subwoofer as the subwoofer is self amplified ?) and my B&W speakers ?

The RX-A8A is supposedly available by November the 15th here in Quebec
Now that I'm back at the house...
The Amp stage of the AVR or any outboard amplification has no impact on Subwoofer SQ. (On a tangential mini-rant, please don't look at Sub amp wattage as a worthwhile metric, and please keep in mind that timbre-matching Subs to speakers is not a thing. :) )

Now, your very last question:
and my B&W speakers ?
Are you asking about amplifying these with an external Amp? Or was that about timbre-matching (see above :) )?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Now that I'm back at the house...
The Amp stage of the AVR or any outboard amplification has no impact on Subwoofer SQ. (On a tangential mini-rant, please don't look at Sub amp wattage as a worthwhile metric, and please keep in mind that timbre-matching Subs to speakers is not a thing. :) )

Now, your very last question:

Are you asking about amplifying these with an external Amp? Or was that about timbre-matching (see above :) )?
Actually you bring to my attention that timbre for bass makes no sense so matching subwoofer with any speakers is quite neutral. Thank you for sharing your knowledge

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
So, what happened with Gene's review of A6A? For how long does he intend to keep it in a drawer?

In PC world, reviews are routinely released once official "embargo" day has expired, usually on a launch day. Reviews are released regardless of whether a product is good or not. It's always MUCH, MUCH better for the public to find out sooner what's going on rather than later. If there is something wrong, everyone should know so that consumers can make more informed purchases. He should not keep it much longer unreleased. It does not make sense.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So, what happened with Gene's review of A6A? For how long does he intend to keep it in a drawer?

In PC world, reviews are routinely released once official "embargo" day has expired, usually on a launch day. Reviews are released regardless of whether a product is good or not. It's always MUCH, MUCH better for the public to find out sooner what's going on rather than later. If there is something wrong, everyone should know so that consumers can make more informed purchases. He should not keep it much longer unreleased. It does not make sense.
I agree, but also with him giving Yamaha an opportunity to respond to the problems he hinted at finding.
At a certain point, he needs to put it out there, though, and make room for testing one of the new Denon AVRs! :D
@gene ??? ;)

J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
My two cents: The fact that Gene has not published any findings to date after starting his evaluation months ago speaks volumes to me. He clearly has not received a response from Yamaha that is worth mentioning. There were also a few A8A owners that were not happy with the YPAO results, so my sense is there is not much improvement there as well. That alone is a big deal to me. It is unfortunate because I was very impressed with Gene’s interview back in August with Phil Shea of Yamaha which had much promise and highlighted excellent build quality. But is apparent that is not matched by performance – whatever the faults are. These issues have caused me to move on and focus on the Onkyo TX-RZ50 and Integra DRX5.4.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My two cents: The fact that Gene has not published any findings to date after starting his evaluation months ago speaks volumes to me. He clearly has not received a response from Yamaha that is worth mentioning. There were also a few A8A owners that were not happy with the YPAO results, so my sense is there is not much improvement there as well. That alone is a big deal to me. It is unfortunate because I was very impressed with Gene’s interview back in August with Phil Shea of Yamaha which had much promise and highlighted excellent build quality. But is apparent that is not matched by performance – whatever the faults are. These issues have caused me to move on and focus on the Onkyo TX-RZ50 and Integra DRX5.4.
I know it's the easy thing to say and everyone says it but Yamaha has got to drop YPAO and join the real world here with a real calibration technology. Diraclive or Audyssey or something else that is good. The difference to me between YPAO and XT32 Audyssey especially with the app is from here to Pluto.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know it's the easy thing to say and everyone says it but Yamaha has got to drop YPAO and join the real world here with a real calibration technology. Diraclive or Audyssey or something else that is good. The difference to me between YPAO and XT32 Audyssey especially with the app is from here to Pluto.

The salient reason for doing ANYTHING in any “business” is making money. As long as Yamaha continue to make $3.9 billion every year in revenue, do they have any incentive in making changes that could “rock their boat?

Some audiophiles like auto room correction, while just as many audiophiles (like me and TLS Guy) hate auto room correction.

How many more dollars per year would Yamaha earn by adding Dirac? Is it 0.000001% of the $3.9 billion? :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The salient reason for doing ANYTHING in any “business” is making money. As long as Yamaha continue to make $3.9 billion every year in revenue, do they have any incentive in making changes that could “rock their boat?

Some audiophiles like auto room correction, while just as many audiophiles (like me and TLS Guy) hate auto room correction.

How many more dollars per year would Yamaha earn by adding Dirac? Is it 0.000001% of the $3.9 billion? :D
The point is to offer better value and performance to their customers. If it's only money I guess just stick with YPAO garbage and save 5 bucks unit. I had Yamaha receivers for many, many years and thought YPAO was good until I switched to Denon a few years ago and saw what XT32 Audyssey does especially with the app.
They can and will do what they want. By the way it's the same with garbage Samsung. They still do not offer Dolby Vision because it's 10 dollars a TV. Samsung are clowns.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Gene did state, that on the RX-A6A in Direct Mode, that his findings are state-of-the-art. He hasn't stated what his finding are yet. He is waiting to hear back from Yamaha's engineering department.

T

TadMoore

Enthusiast
I got a A4A a couple of days ago. I want to like it, but I'm not having a lot of luck. I'm not sure if I'm doing something right or wrong. I think I have a fairly straightforward setup. Satellite box, Oppo 203, and LG CX. I have 3 2.1 HDMI cables. 1.Satellite -> STB Port 2. Oppo -> Movie Port 3. HDMI 1 OUT (eARC) -> HDMI 2 (eARC) on the LG.
The Oppo seems to work fine. The apps in the LG (Netflix, Prime etc) work fine. The satellite does not. I get picture, no sound using the A4A HDMI 1. If I turn on HDMI 2, even though nothing is plugged into it, I get sound but no picture.
As a temporary solution I plugged the Sat directly into the LG. Sound and picture both work, but of course I have no OSD for the A4A. I'm a bit frazzled right now. There are a few things I will try when get home from work. Is there a certain sequence of connecting the equipment? I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Many thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I got a A4A a couple of days ago. I want to like it, but I'm not having a lot of luck. I'm not sure if I'm doing something right or wrong. I think I have a fairly straightforward setup. Satellite box, Oppo 203, and LG CX. I have 3 2.1 HDMI cables. 1.Satellite -> STB Port 2. Oppo -> Movie Port 3. HDMI 1 OUT (eARC) -> HDMI 2 (eARC) on the LG.
The Oppo seems to work fine. The apps in the LG (Netflix, Prime etc) work fine. The satellite does not. I get picture, no sound using the A4A HDMI 1. If I turn on HDMI 2, even though nothing is plugged into it, I get sound but no picture.
As a temporary solution I plugged the Sat directly into the LG. Sound and picture both work, but of course I have no OSD for the A4A. I'm a bit frazzled right now. There are a few things I will try when get home from work. Is there a certain sequence of connecting the equipment? I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Many thanks.
Uncertain specifically how Yamaha does their setup, but make certain that your signals are going through the HDMI properly, not video through hdmi and audio through optical, for example. ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

@AcuDefTechGuy, it's good that Onkyo stepped up their game. They had to, with what happened to Onkyo with their chip issues that nearly wipe them out years back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis