How to get desk job ? Or home work

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Don't know if it's a problem in the U.S. but in Canada the gov't contributed to the labour shortage with their Covid subsidies. When people can earn the same amount of money sitting on their butts, they will, plain and simple. Another (and bigger) issue is the drive for a "living wage". Many people don't want low paying jobs where they can barely afford to pay rent and buy food. There has been a steady push by labour to increase the minimum wage while small business and agriculture pushes back saying they need low wages to survive. No simple answers to a complex issue.

One thing I would like to see eliminated though is the below minimum wages that food servers receive in lieu of the expectation of receiving tips. Tipping should either be eliminated or add a flat percentage to all bills so that all servers get a minimum wage like everyone else. There were many restaurants in Europe that we went to where the gratuity was built in and no tipping required unless you felt that the service was exceptional.
USA is a similar situation, with extended unemployment benefits contributing to the labor shortage.

On top of that, we are already at the point where most of the baby boomer population is retiring or was considering retirement. That older age group is also higher risk for COVID, so they made the decision to go ahead and leave the work force. Then, the new generation has a severe deficiency in the skilled labor department.

A lot of teachers quit (high risk job), and a lot of the substitute teachers were retired teachers that were just doing some easy subbing work, but with COVID, they re-retired too.

If you do have a skill set, your labor is in high demand right now!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think that COVID was AN impetus... not the sole reason people started leaving their jobs... and to be certain the additional federal unemployment benefit above the state benefit did keep many out of the workforce for a prolonged time.

Where I'm at in Bay Area CA, a strong majority of restaurants do tip share for the whole staff, broken down by percentage of your role in the restaurant. But even minimum wage +tips isn't enough to find and keep talented people interested. Eliminating tipping and building it into the pricing structure for higher wages doesn't pay out the way one would hope, either, as people just see the cost per plate as prohibitive, then.

Fcuk. this makes me just wanna curl up into a ball, in a corner, rocking back and forth while sucking on my thumb.
SMDH
We have a local Brewpub (Black Star Co-op) that specifically says, "don't feel the need to tip, we pay our workers a living wage", which I think is awesome and the way all jobs should be.

The distinction is that this is a true Co-Op, and I happen to know that a lot of the people that started this co-op are also pretty active in the local Libertarian Party

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Degrees are meaningless without experience.

Skills and experience are everything. I have no degree and am doing fine because I have a LOT of experience in my field for my age. I started young and worked my way up.

Working in a base level IT call center is a great starting point to move up and learn skills.

Call center work sucks, but if you can find a small company to do it for, then your chances of promotion are much higher.

There is plenty of work to be done, you just have to be willing to do it.
But sometimes, that experience isn't accessible without at least heading toward a degree or being in some entry-level area, like paralegal, drafting and working toward becoming an architect, etc.

Apprenticeships are sometimes a good way to start but if someone has the aptitude before starting, it's sometimes possible to start working as a general laborer in trade jobs and by the time they would have finished the apprenticeship, they're farther along- electricians are required to go through this if they work for a union company but as a helper, they can just start working. If the contractor has a brain, they'll train any new hires and build good electricians who can take additional classes as they go.

Lots of people are quitting their jobs, now. This is bad.

highfigh

highfigh

We have a local Brewpub (Black Star Co-op) that specifically says, "don't feel the need to tip, we pay our workers a living wage", which I think is awesome and the way all jobs should be.

The distinction is that this is a true Co-Op, and I happen to know that a lot of the people that started this co-op are also pretty active in the local Libertarian Party
We have a local coffee company that started soon after the Seattle scene started and they're doing extremely well. I know two of the owners and always thought they were pretty liberal, although we never discussed politics. The workers recently voted to unionize- we'll see how that goes. Liberals who are on the money end don't always like the workers to join unions.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Krugmans recent OpEd is a good read: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/opinion/workers-quitting-wages.html

>>>...
The labor situation, by contrast, looks like a genuine reduction in supply. Total employment is still five million below its prepandemic peak. Employment in the leisure and hospitality sector is still down more than 9 percent. Yet everything we see suggests a very tight labor market.

On one side, workers are quitting their jobs at unprecedented rates, a sign that they’re confident about finding new jobs. On the other side, employers aren’t just whining about labor shortages, they’re trying to attract workers with pay increases. Over the past six months wages of leisure and hospitality workers have risen at an annual rate of 18 percent, and they are now well above their prepandemic trend.

The sellers’ market in labor has also emboldened union members, who have been much more willing than usual to go on strike after receiving contract offers they consider inadequate.
But why are we experiencing what many are calling the Great Resignation, with so many workers either quitting or demanding higher pay and better working conditions to stay? Until recently conservatives blamed expanded jobless benefits, claiming that these benefits were reducing the incentive to accept jobs. But states that canceled those benefits early saw no increase in employment compared with those that didn’t, and the nationwide end of enhanced benefits last month doesn’t seem to have made much difference to the job situation.

What seems to be happening instead is that the pandemic led many U.S. workers to rethink their lives and ask whether it was worth staying in the lousy jobs too many of them had.
For America is a rich country that treats many of its workers remarkably badly. Wages are often low; adjusted for inflation, the typical male worker earned virtually no more in 2019 than his counterpart did 40 years earlier. Hours are long: America is a “no-vacation nation,” offering far less time off than other advanced countries. Work is also unstable, with many low-wage workers — and nonwhite workers in particular — subject to unpredictable fluctuations in working hours that can wreak havoc on family life.

And it’s not just employers who treat workers harshly. A significant number of Americans seem to have contempt for the people who provide them with services. According to one recent survey, 62 percent of restaurant workers say they’ve received abusive treatment from customers.
Given these realities, it’s not surprising that many workers are either quitting or reluctant to return to their old jobs. The harder question is, why now? Many Americans hated their jobs two years ago, but they didn’t act on those feelings as much as they are now. What changed?

Well, it’s only speculation, but it seems quite possible that the pandemic, by upending many Americans’ lives, also caused some of them to reconsider their life choices. Not everyone can afford to quit a hated job, but a significant number of workers seem ready to accept the risk of trying something different — retiring earlier despite the monetary cost, looking for a less unpleasant job in a different industry, and so on.
...>>>

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
We have a local coffee company that started soon after the Seattle scene started and they're doing extremely well. I know two of the owners and always thought they were pretty liberal, although we never discussed politics. The workers recently voted to unionize- we'll see how that goes. Liberals who are on the money end don't always like the workers to join unions.
Unions are not nearly as big and common in the South USA.

I have worked in unionized plants (as a contractor), and work with union members, and I can say that universally I have found that unionization and especially the pigeon-hole job roles has always harmed efficiency, and I have seen many rules that don't make any sense.

highfigh

highfigh

Unions are not nearly as big and common in the South USA.

I have worked in unionized plants (as a contractor), and work with union members, and I can say that universally I have found that unionization and especially the pigeon-hole job roles has always harmed efficiency, and I have seen many rules that don't make any sense.
My dad worked for Harley Davidson and not long after he started, the union voted to strike. Great- I think the food allotment was $18/week (this was around 1969/1970). That doesn't work for a family of four, does it? The workers eventually voted to leave the UAW and join the International Paperworker's Union, then AMF sold the company, but had considered dismantling it and selling all of the assets- AMF was the worst thing to happen to that company. When some of the guys would come to our house, they would complain about people making $18/hour to sweep the floors. That's damned good money in the early-'70s- I know of skilled trade jobs now that barely pay better. I reminded them that those 'sweepers' were members of the same union and they had the same privileges & benefits. That didn't make me very popular with them. The restrictions definitely throw an anchor out when it comes to flexibility.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think that COVID was AN impetus... not the sole reason people started leaving their jobs... and to be certain the additional federal unemployment benefit above the state benefit did keep many out of the workforce for a prolonged time.

Where I'm at in Bay Area CA, a strong majority of restaurants do tip share for the whole staff, broken down by percentage of your role in the restaurant. But even minimum wage +tips isn't enough to find and keep talented people interested. Eliminating tipping and building it into the pricing structure for higher wages doesn't pay out the way one would hope, either, as people just see the cost per plate as prohibitive, then.

Fcuk. this makes me just wanna curl up into a ball, in a corner, rocking back and forth while sucking on my thumb.
SMDH
Eliminating tipping has to be done on a State/Provincial level. When every restaurant is in the same boat people adjust pretty quickly. It certainly wasn't an issue in Europe although it varies from region to region.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Unions could be a whole other long topic of discussion. ;) They served an important role in improving worker safety, in particular, and garnering fair wages. The problem was that once auto workers (for example) had safe conditions and above average pay, the unions had to justify their continued monthly dues. They could have negotiated employee bonuses based on performance (which companies generally support) but instead negotiated the corporation paying legal bills for divorce, or for pet insurance or pet burial costs and other crazy things that have nothing to do with the trade. That's not constructive wage negotiation; it's just flexing your muscles.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Unions could be a whole other long topic of discussion. ;) They served an important role in improving worker safety, in particular, and garnering fair wages. The problem was that once auto workers (for example) had safe conditions and above average pay, the unions had to justify their continued monthly dues. They could have negotiated employee bonuses based on performance (which companies generally support) but instead negotiated the corporation paying legal bills for divorce, or for pet insurance or pet burial costs and other crazy things that have nothing to do with the trade. That's not constructive wage negotiation; it's just flexing your muscles.
Massive corporations try and get rid of unions they don’t want there profits lowered by paying living wages . However it seems wages have been rising last year or two thanks to the pandemic ..

Union bosses allowed to much madness going on , my generation has the highest education ratio but lowest pay vs the older ones …. So it doesn’t pay to be smart and educated somehow ?
Or millennials just don’t got street smarts , or enough work experience took much book work and testing …
Only 61% of working age adults even work in the USA , so either there boomers or unable to work ? 101mil out of labor force ..
90% of men worked prior to women joining the workforce now 29% have became jobless bums like I am right now haha …or what is going on???

How do you explain 75-100 mil not working? In the most expensive first world nation as far as healthcare cost and stuff .. are they all dependents or in college??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How do you explain 75-100 mil not working? In the most expensive first world nation as far as healthcare cost and stuff .. are they all dependents or in college??
I explain it by those who ignore their personal issues, and blame the world around them, then make up incorrect information.

You need help.

Period.

Your use of grammar is terrible. I'm not sure if this is intentional, or a learning disability. If this is reflected in your job resume or in your discussions with potential employers, then it will be a major contributing factor to whether you get a job or not.

I'm not the person to tell you what to do, but I think others have made excellent recommendations. I think a huge mistake is NOT taking advantage of any programs which may be available to help you move forward with your life.

This is the deal, from all that I can tell... YOU REFUSE TO MOVE FORWARD!

It doesn't matter if you go on disability. It simply doesn't. If you get disability, it means you actually have done SOMETHING to move your life forward. That little bit of whatever it may offer may be enough, but probably not. I would strongly suggest that you try to talk to someone who can deal with your actual mental issues. That you may need some prescriptions to help with your life. This isn't ideal, but it is sometimes necessary, and it can work. If it doesn't work the first time, you may have to try again.

It is clear you have worries and that you are concerned about things in your life, but your actions suggest otherwise.
You can't be concerned about debt, then do absolutely nothing to deal with it.
It sounds to many that you are unmotivated and lazy.
To me, it sounds like you have some depression that you are dealing with and that you need to get into support groups, to talk to others who can relate, and to do so on a regular basis. Several times a week perhaps. To get up, get out, and deal with life in a supportive manner. I have no idea if you have spent months in counseling sessions and looking for and going to support groups, or if you tried it once and called it quits.

At some point, you need to do more than ASK for help to move forward, you actually need to accept help AND move forward.

I know people that mooch off of others for as long as they can. They are a tremendous burden on those people, most often their own family. If you are living at home, living in the same room you grew up in, not paying rent, and not having a job, then you aren't in a sustainable situation. You are a constant burden to your parents. Constant. If you actually care about moving forward, then at some point you need to get out of the house and go do something about it.

I believe your parents could be far more supportive if they see you acting in a positive way vs. acting like you've given up.

Oh, and libraries are something you should look into. Most towns have a library. They have computers that are quite usable for things other than video games.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I explain it by those who ignore their personal issues, and blame the world around them, then make up incorrect information.

You need help.

Period.

Your use of grammar is terrible. I'm not sure if this is intentional, or a learning disability. If this is reflected in your job resume or in your discussions with potential employers, then it will be a major contributing factor to whether you get a job or not.

I'm not the person to tell you what to do, but I think others have made excellent recommendations. I think a huge mistake is NOT taking advantage of any programs which may be available to help you move forward with your life.

This is the deal, from all that I can tell... YOU REFUSE TO MOVE FORWARD!

It doesn't matter if you go on disability. It simply doesn't. If you get disability, it means you actually have done SOMETHING to move your life forward. That little bit of whatever it may offer may be enough, but probably not. I would strongly suggest that you try to talk to someone who can deal with your actual mental issues. That you may need some prescriptions to help with your life. This isn't ideal, but it is sometimes necessary, and it can work. If it doesn't work the first time, you may have to try again.

It is clear you have worries and that you are concerned about things in your life, but your actions suggest otherwise.
You can't be concerned about debt, then do absolutely nothing to deal with it.
It sounds to many that you are unmotivated and lazy.
To me, it sounds like you have some depression that you are dealing with and that you need to get into support groups, to talk to others who can relate, and to do so on a regular basis. Several times a week perhaps. To get up, get out, and deal with life in a supportive manner. I have no idea if you have spent months in counseling sessions and looking for and going to support groups, or if you tried it once and called it quits.

At some point, you need to do more than ASK for help to move forward, you actually need to accept help AND move forward.

I know people that mooch off of others for as long as they can. They are a tremendous burden on those people, most often their own family. If you are living at home, living in the same room you grew up in, not paying rent, and not having a job, then you aren't in a sustainable situation. You are a constant burden to your parents. Constant. If you actually care about moving forward, then at some point you need to get out of the house and go do something about it.

I believe your parents could be far more supportive if they see you acting in a positive way vs. acting like you've given up.

Oh, and libraries are something you should look into. Most towns have a library. They have computers that are quite usable for things other than video games.
I have a book on grammar somewhere clearly I never read it ; worth a shot of finding . I’m just too lazy to fix poor writing skills , reading skills are light years better . I never corrected easy mistakes more so due to laziness then Lack of knowledge.

So far no counsel or psych meds have done anything to help my condition, I definitely need a computer to do anything these days . Guess I can apply to places on my phone for now /:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So far no counsel or psych meds have done anything to help my condition
The fact nothing has so far, doesn't mean that nothing will. It can take some time, and it is important to follow up and discuss with the same doctor. It may require you to change doctors to get someone who cares a bit more about the situation.

I definitely need a computer to do anything these days . Guess I can apply to places on my phone for now /:
Once again, I'm not sure how bad your local library is, but all the ones near me, and there are several, have computers for public use. A cheap older model PC can be had for about $100 which is fine for sending out resumes from and browsing websites. Don't, for a second think that this excuse holds up. Literally, the computer I use to serve up my video collection on Plex was something I pulled out of a trash bin and put a $30 hard drive into.

Literally 720 responses on eBay for Dell computers for under $100.

This computer, specifically, at $100, is a solid deal...

Instead of looking for old AV stuff, sell some of it and go pick up a cheap PC which you can hook up to any monitor or most TVs. Then do your thing. A PC like the one linked is not a gaming machine, it's a basic office unit. The 4th generation i5 processor is fast enough to do websites and run Windows just fine. It will run Word or other programs you need to get things done. It will allow you to do things you need to do in life. Don't game on it, be productive on it.

I am literally sitting on top of several old computers I won't even know what to do with before long. I just got new models. My old ones will likely be sold for under 50 bucks. Lots and lots of cheap old computers out there.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The fact nothing has so far, doesn't mean that nothing will. It can take some time, and it is important to follow up and discuss with the same doctor. It may require you to change doctors to get someone who cares a bit more about the situation.

Once again, I'm not sure how bad your local library is, but all the ones near me, and there are several, have computers for public use. A cheap older model PC can be had for about $100 which is fine for sending out resumes from and browsing websites. Don't, for a second think that this excuse holds up. Literally, the computer I use to serve up my video collection on Plex was something I pulled out of a trash bin and put a $30 hard drive into.

Literally 720 responses on eBay for Dell computers for under $100.

This computer, specifically, at $100, is a solid deal...

Instead of looking for old AV stuff, sell some of it and go pick up a cheap PC which you can hook up to any monitor or most TVs. Then do your thing. A PC like the one linked is not a gaming machine, it's a basic office unit. The 4th generation i5 processor is fast enough to do websites and run Windows just fine. It will run Word or other programs you need to get things done. It will allow you to do things you need to do in life. Don't game on it, be productive on it.

I am literally sitting on top of several old computers I won't even know what to do with before long. I just got new models. My old ones will likely be sold for under 50 bucks. Lots and lots of cheap old computers out there.
I got too big of a library fine they conned me said if I return a movie they would take I’d off then lied .. I didn’t bother going to back to argue with these rip off artists . I don’t support crooked library’s ..

Had no idea PCs used were so cheap I just haven’t had any luck every model I had went defective and charge port died or gpu in one .
Sadly I got no income so no pc ..

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I got too big of a library fine they conned me said if I return a movie they would take I’d off then lied .. I didn’t bother going to back to argue with these rip off artists . I don’t support crooked library’s ..

Had no idea PCs used were so cheap I just haven’t had any luck every model I had went defective and charge port died or gpu in one .
Sadly I got no income so no pc ..

Of course you're banned from the library. How convenient. God forbid you actually do something.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe he should look at joining a branch of the military? We aren't in any wars right now and he could learn a skill.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You've got to wonder if he's trolling everyone. Initially I'll give anyone the benefit doubt. But now....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis