Has Dolby Home Atmos Been a Step Forward for Home Audio?

Do you think Dolby's Home Atmos hasbeen a positive move on the whole for home audio?

• Yes, Home Atmos has been a move in the right direction.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Dolby's Home Atmos has overall been good for home audio but has some flaws.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Home Atmos has become a misbegotten mess for home audio.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • I don't know what a Dolby Home Atmos is. Help, I am lost and scared!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s always a joy to watch this one cycle out when his requests for a raise in allowance are denied.:rolleyes: Not sure who’d get a pop in the mouth first but I’d probably start with the parents for not looking into institutions years ago. Not judgin’, just ponderin’.;)
Or a kick in ass!!!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Sorry NOOB. You’re wrong. There are HUNDREDS of BD’s with Atmos on them. Plus DTSX, and DSU and DTSNX for older tracks. So you don’t need 4K. Cable and satellite so don’t really carry Atmos, but LOTS of streaming services do. There are also hundreds of Atmos theaters out in the wild. Maybe not by you, but surprise! Your little bubble is small compared to the rest of the world.

If your first sentence is saying the Atmos is an evolution of Pro Logic, you really have no idea.
Yes! And the upmixers can be very effective to utilize those channels consistently for HT/Streaming/TV etc

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry NOOB. You’re wrong. There are HUNDREDS of BD’s with Atmos on them. Plus DTSX, and DSU and DTSNX for older tracks. So you don’t need 4K. Cable and satellite so don’t really carry Atmos, but LOTS of streaming services do. There are also hundreds of Atmos theaters out in the wild. Maybe not by you, but surprise! Your little bubble is small compared to the rest of the world.

If your first sentence is saying the Atmos is an evolution of Pro Logic, you really have no idea.
We’ll clearly I got no clue who or how and why it was invented, but if it adds a 3D sound effect like auro 3D it should definitely be worth it for movies , I’d need a newer better tv to consider Netflix 4k worth it as my mom isn’t going to pay the difference between regular and 4k. There tv is dying tho tons of lines running threw it ..
yet keeping it until it dies .
Both rooms I use have surround systems they only use tv speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes! And the upmixers can be very effective to utilize those channels consistently for HT/Streaming/TV etc
I’m surprised all the time at how good they are. And honestly, as cool as the overhead stuff is, Ime some of the best stuff is the subtle, but VERY effective little stuff. Like light musical dots and boops and buzzes. The kind that are in cut shots, or between scenes. This can be in a real Atmos or dtsx track OR an upmixer. Love it.
Some of the Atmos in room imaging is so so good. Like a bird that flies off the screen and right over my shoulder, or like ready player one where coins are dancing all over in the room. Not to mention that whole track is great.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
GET THE FUKK OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!

You don’t have ANY Atmos, so you can say ZERO!!!! Absolutely ZERO about it.
Even set up in a less than optimal fashion, Atmos is better than NO Atmos.
I think it's clear that in the poll, Noob should have voted:

"

• I don't know what a Dolby Home Atmos is. Help, I am lost and scared!
"

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
nah it’s just an evolution of the prologic heights essentially, maybe I don’t have a bedroom optimized for Atmos .. I was using satellites tho for that channel maybe I’ll turn the volume up on them and see if it’s better.
clearly I’m wrong if everyone loves Atmos . .. it’s still not supported on cable but there audio quality sucks anyways …

My bedroom system has Atmos I just don’t have my 4k tv hooked up only a few 4k films zz ..
Most movies aren’t encoded for Atmos except the new 4k and Blu-ray stuff …
so if it’s so revolutionary it’s not been adopted by any movie theaters near me . Aura 11.1 is best Ive heard ..
Probably will end up obsolete replaced by something else .. and what percentage of the sound comes from it? ? 10%? Or more
Yep. Atmos has yet to grab the masses and don't think it ever will. Too impractical for most entertainment systems. Atmos is a huge success among the ultra niche that frequent sites like this, but we represent an infinitesimal amount of the buying public.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yep. Atmos has yet to grab the masses and don't think it ever will. Too impractical for most entertainment systems. Atmos is a huge success among the ultra niche that frequent sites like this, but we represent an infinitesimal amount of the buying public.
Hopefully it will lead to something even sound bars can use , but the bounce house atmos seems to be about the most electronic noob(non-audio file)can figure out..
really seem like a gimmick like original pro logic back channels that didn’t do much voices .

Until I’ve heard or tried them I got no comment or complaints..
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll give you that. Some people don’t have the interest. Or are just lazy. Maybe they think it’s harder to do than it really is.
But imo, to the anointed, there’s no equal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Biggest obstacle is definitely money.

I bet if they offered Atmos for free 100%, everyone would be on board. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Biggest obstacle is definitely money.

I bet if they offered Atmos for free 100%, everyone would be on board. :D
I would say the biggest obstacle is that people don't want all those speakers cluttering up their home. Most people don't have a whole room to just dedicate to an entertainment system. Atmos, as has been promoted, is a disaster, and I still feel it has done more harm than good for the audio hobby.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I fail to understand the harm it causes? The crapy/misleading marketing that many manufactures do mabye. I don't disagree with many of the points made. It does require a room and space to dedicate to speakers, etc and is not convenient to set up. There is definitely an elevated cost required for gear/ speakers etc. I don't think anyone can argue those points. I look at it purely from does it enhance the movie/entertainment expereince? For myself, and many others who have set up it correctly, I would say yes. As discussed in an earlier post about Another Life on Netflix, waching that series in Atmos definitly enhances the expereince.

Audio is more of a passion, than hobby for those who frequent these sites, so I would not say it has caused more harm or a disaster. It has a more select audience who have the space and want to make the investment.

"Atmos is a huge success among the ultra niche that frequent sites like this, but we represent an infinitesimal amount of the buying public."

I don't fully disagree with this, but 90% of what we talk about even outside of Atmos is still niche and for most people outside of these site, you will find soundbars, straight TV sound or cheap kits. So that statement can apply to alot of things outside of Atmos.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I fail to understand the harm it causes? The crapy/misleading marketing that many manufactures do mabye. I don't disagree with many of the points made. It does require a room and space to dedicate to speakers, etc and is not convenient to set up. There is definitely an elevated cost required for gear/ speakers etc. I don't think anyone can argue those points. I look at it purely from does it enhance the movie/entertainment expereince? For myself, and many others who have set up it correctly, I would say yes. As discussed in an earlier post about Another Life on Netflix, waching that series in Atmos definitly enhances the expereince.

Audio is more of a passion, than hobby for those who frequent these sites, so I would not say it has caused more harm or a disaster. It has a more select audience who have the space and want to make the investment.

"Atmos is a huge success among the ultra niche that frequent sites like this, but we represent an infinitesimal amount of the buying public."

I don't fully disagree with this, but 90% of what we talk about even outside of Atmos is still niche and for most people outside of these site, you will find soundbars, straight TV sound or cheap kits. So that statement can apply to alot of things outside of Atmos.
Agreed.
I think the real problem with Atmos is the headphone connection.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic

Agree, I can't even get my college age girls OR my son to take a set of speakers as I find deals on cheaper setups. Most people simply don't care. I don't know what it is about sound for me.

Anyways totally agree that anything that enhances the sound bubble is worth a small investment. But hey, everyone can do whatever the hell they want :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would say the biggest obstacle is that people don't want all those speakers cluttering up their home. Most people don't have a whole room to just dedicate to an entertainment system. Atmos, as has been promoted, is a disaster, and I still feel it has done more harm than good for the audio hobby.
So if most people were offered Atmos 100% free including equipment and installation, most people would say, “Absolutely no, I don’t want to clutter my home?”

Getting millions of people excited about their Atmos system is more harm for the hobby because why? They’re enjoying themselves too much?

Hearing things overhead like airplanes, helicopters, birds, rain on roof, people on 2nd floor, etc., is more harm for the hobby?

This is only a hobby for FUN and ENJOYMENT.

If people don’t enjoy it, they don’t need to have it.

And if people are enjoying Atmos immensely, that’s a good thing.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So if most people were offered Atmos 100% free including equipment and installation, most people would say, “Absolutely no, I don’t want to clutter my home?”

Getting millions of people excited about their Atmos system is more harm for the hobby because why? They’re enjoying themselves too much?

Hearing things overhead like airplanes, helicopters, birds, rain on roof, people on 2nd floor, etc., is more harm for the hobby?

This is only a hobby for FUN and ENJOYMENT.

If people don’t enjoy it, they don’t need to have it.

And if people are enjoying Atmos immensely, that’s a good thing.
Yeah only audiophiles use lots of speakers it seems , soundbar wouldn’t had taken over market otherwise. Despite being inferior to a multiple speakers system or well even 2-3ch.

I have to hear about using 7.2 or -9 speakers total as being too many, I was like no it’s not enough…!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis