Are These Finds Good Deals?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The relay clicked on and off and LED blinked for over 30 seconds.
fwiw, the dsp in my outlaws works similarly... these are little computers, after all. after a prolonged time without power, it takes a while to boot up, and when powering down, it is likewise not instantaneous. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
fwiw, the dsp in my outlaws works similarly... these are little computers, after all. after a prolonged time without power, it takes a while to boot up, and when powering down, it is likewise not instantaneous. :)
10 seconds would be about normal. When it takes almost a minute you begin to worry. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think they look really nice, and I'll bet you can coax some pretty decent performance out of them in your room. You don't have a big room, right? I'd be experimenting and comparing to see if I get a smoother response having the 2 of them over a single sealed sub, or even an interesting opportunity to compare and contrast the *gasp* musicality between sealed and ported! :eek::oops::p

Seriously tho, the Cantons may not dig as deep but I'll bet with a li'l tlc you can get them to sound really good in there!
My room is about 12w x 15.5l x 7h. It's a little narrower at the closet door next to the left speaker, but then is open to a 4' wide open hallway that leads to my den and the upstairs. Might coax a few hertz more with some room gain, but I don't have very much music that goes below 25Hz (although it's nice to have the extension when you need it). It was pretty loud already between 87-90dB and I was far from having the volume up all the way (sitting distance is about 8' from my mains). Beyond a certain point I get resonances in my ear canal and lose the ability to discern detail, so rock concert level volume doesn't work well for me any more. I guess that leaves lots of headroom in my case. :) Need to grab a long RCA cable so that I can play with placement.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Need to grab a long RCA cable so that I can play with placement.
Yes!

(Hint: make a chair out of them! you already started by putting cushions on them... now, just build a seat for you and the "pardner" and you've got an amazing nearfield mid-bass knockout punch!)
:D

:cool:

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
That's a pretty smokin' deal if they're in good shape.

*Edit: Is that @Danzilla31?? I think that might be Zilla's ad!
i don't know the danzilla31 but if san antonio is where he lives then it might be him
if i visit my friend there i might swing by and check them out

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes!

(Hint: make a chair out of them! you already started by putting cushions on them... now, just build a seat for you and the "pardner" and you've got an amazing nearfield mid-bass knockout punch!)
:D

:cool:
No shortage of smartasses in this bunch. :D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
A pair of Vandersteen Model 1's with matching center for $350!

View attachment 50771

Interesting driver placement. Wonder how they sound.
I've always enjoyed the sound of Vandersteen speakers, the 2C (and whatever variant, E, i etc) being my favorite. If one is used to strict neutrality and feel that is how speakers must sound, the Vandys are probably not for you as they inject a little flavor of their own. The driver placement and shape provide for fantastic imaging. One of the few speakers that made me "jump" during an audition. Never had a pair of my own because I've always had cats and that sock, well...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
i don't know the danzilla31 but if san antonio is where he lives then it might be him
if i visit my friend there i might swing by and check them out
LMFAO thar is my ad! Yeah if your ever in the area hit me up!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've always enjoyed the sound of Vandersteen speakers, the 2C (and whatever variant, E, i etc) being my favorite. If one is used to strict neutrality and feel that is how speakers must sound, the Vandys are probably not for you as they inject a little flavor of their own. The driver placement and shape provide for fantastic imaging. One of the few speakers that made me "jump" during an audition. Never had a pair of my own because I've always had cats and that sock, well...
I recently did a dive on the 2Cs and a lot of folks really seem to like the Vandy's.
Interesting driver placement. Wonder how they sound.
Yeah, their big claim to fame are the minimum baffles and spot on time/phase alignment. I'd love to check a pair out sometime.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis