JBL HDI-1200P Subwoofer Review: Good Performance At A Premium Price?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would suggest that it would be very nice to see manufacturers take their Subs just a little more seriously so that the combo of products within a lineup equate to the classic "Full Range" spectrum. I don't think having useful output at 20Hz would be that difficult to achieve based on some of the things I've seen as I pursue DIY Subs...
And I get it, that 8Hz difference isn't that significant, but it would be nice to see companies put out a product that can get you there.
Perhaps the more stunning aspect of the review is that it really doesn't seem to fully support the Harman Curve in that it's output falters as it approaches reference level without a bump in the response.
Had they delivered a product that was -6dB at 20 Hz and was giving cleaner output to about 115dB, I could see this being "worth" it's $3K ticket. I say "worth" as frankly there are many great options for fewer Ducats, but at least if they were giving us that performance bump, it begins to make more sense for those with an aesthetic visions and the coin to toss at them.

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
If this sub cost $500, I can see it being a really good sub... for the money. At $3K, though, I'm at a total loss as to why anyone would buy this product.

Given its performance, yes, it is spectacular down to 40Hz, but, down to a low B note (31Hz), the THD becomes so prominent that it is no longer a low distortion transducer. While this will pass muster for a movie, it will not cut it for music. That much distortion will add a lot of color further up the spectrum and muddy up the sound. Playing a 5 string bass through this sub, you aren't going to be happy. I know I wouldn't. Also, a kick drum tuned very low will not be rendered well.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
1633292236561.png
48837700336_4693361381_c.jpg
Playing the four great toccatas and fugues with low frequencies reproduced from my circa 1986 JBL B380 15 inch passive sub powered by a Sony TA-N80ES for 560 watts in bridged mode just gives me goosebumps. If I did not have it in my system I would buy one of the 18 inch subs in JBL's Cinema line, not the HDI model, which is just too small for effects I want.
1633292852261.png
1633292236561.png

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To address many of the above comments, we have to keep two things in mind:
  • In order to produce serious deep bass output, a subwoofer needs a large enclosure
  • Relatively few people are willing to buy large enclosure subs
That basically sums this sub up. JBL made a reasonably good sub up to the size they think people would tolerate. Yes, there are people who can accommodate a larger sub for the deeper bass output, but that group isn't as large as you might believe from spending so much time in home theater enthusiast social media circles.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
View attachment 50608View attachment 50609 Playing the four great toccatas and fugues with low frequencies reproduced from my circa 1986 JBL B380 15 inch passive sub powered by a Sony TA-N80ES for 560 watts in bridged mode just gives me goosebumps. If I did not have it in my system I would buy one of the 18 inch subs in JBL's Cinema line, not the HDI model, which is just too small for effects I want. View attachment 50610View attachment 50608
I would bet the JBL cinema subs aren't tuned at frequencies much lower than the HDI sub, to be honest. Few subs made for cinema would have a tuning point lower than 30Hz. The one that you have pictured is the 3536 which has a +/-3dB response window of 38Hz to 100Hz, so it is doubtlessly tuned to a higher frequency than the HDI sub. Not really the greatest for deep digging pipe organ music. The ideal sub for pipe organ would be one tuned to 16Hz since that addresses the fundamental frequency of a 32' stop which is the largest practical pipe length that an organ can have. Dr. Hsu is a fan of that content and always aimed for a 16Hz tuning point for this reason.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would bet the JBL cinema subs aren't tuned at frequencies much lower than the HDI sub, to be honest. Few subs made for cinema would have a tuning point lower than 30Hz. The one that you have pictured is the 3536 which has a +/-3dB response window of 38Hz to 100Hz, so it is doubtlessly tuned to a higher frequency than the HDI sub. Not really the greatest for deep digging pipe organ music. The ideal sub for pipe organ would be one tuned to 16Hz since that addresses the fundamental frequency of a 32' stop which is the largest practical pipe length that an organ can have. Dr. Hsu is a fan of that content and always aimed for a 16Hz tuning point for this reason.
yes, I just grabbed a shot of one of the models in the line but I’d still take it over the HDI model.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
To address many of the above comments, we have to keep two things in mind:
  • In order to produce serious deep bass output, a subwoofer needs a large enclosure
  • Relatively few people are willing to buy large enclosure subs
That basically sums this sub up. JBL made a reasonably good sub up to the size they think people would tolerate. Yes, there are people who can accommodate a larger sub for the deeper bass output, but that group isn't as large as you might believe from spending so much time in home theater enthusiast social media circles.
Whaaaaat the average Joe doesn't think about these things the way an audioholic does? :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Whaaaaat the average Joe doesn't think about these things the way an audioholic does? :D
I would still be intrigued to see the difference in cabinet volume to get that down to an F6 of 20Hz… would be surprised if it was more than an inch in depth and maybe 2-3 in height.
;)
Granted, port tuning could be more the issue than the cabinet.

Regardless, if I was making a wish list for mass market companies, it would be for Subs to have some measure of real performance to 20.
Let the ID and DIY markets fight for real infrasonic output.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would still be intrigued to see the difference in cabinet volume to get that down to an F6 of 20Hz… would be surprised if it was more than an inch in depth and maybe 2-3 in height.
;)
Granted, port tuning could be more the issue than the cabinet.

Regardless, if I was making a wish list for mass market companies, it would be for Subs to have some measure of real performance to 20.
Let the ID and DIY markets fight for real infrasonic output.
Yeah I'm the same say I'm happy with good response down to 20hz not crazy about chasing too much lower tho

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I'm the same say I'm happy with good response down to 20hz not crazy about chasing too much lower tho
For most usage it really isn't necessary to go much lower... in fact if they were -10dB at 18Hz, many would consider that "usable." It's folk like me that want that Low C on the Pipe Organ and whatnot that are chasing some proper infrasonic reproduction. And yeah, to get that, you need some big boxes, big drivers, big ports, and a willingness to sacrifice floor space to do it.
Ir in the case of some of the IB folk... a whole other room/basement/attic to utilize. :rolleyes: ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@shadyJ - a minor typo in the review:
" It is a fine subwoofer, but it absolutely shouldN'T be LISTED for $3k" [my proposed edits in bold]

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
^ Meh. I think his sentence reads just fine as is. The point is made quite adequately that the value in this Sub does not lie in the performance to cost realm. (In fact, he doesn't hide the fact at all that this is not a value leader!) JBL Synthesis is not targeting the Hsu category of Subwoofers. While we all want Monolith (or better) performance with SVS looks for Hsu cost... we need to be honest that isn't going to happen.
While I agree that the ticket is too high for what is offered, I can likewise understand why they may price it as they did. As consumers, we have the final word: we buy, or do not.
JBL will take that lump if they need to, or they are selling to just the right folk that will support that product at the volume they desire to move and come out just fine.
*shrugs

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@ryanosaur Let's agree to disagree. It doesn't even hit 20hz - it has no right to call itself a home theater subwoofer, regardless of the price. Its high cost makes it even worse to swallow.
As for its looks vs. price:
Here's the image of ULS15MK2 in optional Rosewood veneer (1/3 price of JBL), and James also measured it (except for a slight difference in distortion numbers, HSU even or beats JBL in every range)

And if the HSU finish doesn't cut it and low distortion is a big deal, well, there are STILL cheaper Rythmic subs finished by Salk in any premium veneer.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
For most usage it really isn't necessary to go much lower... in fact if they were -10dB at 18Hz, many would consider that "usable." It's folk like me that want that Low C on the Pipe Organ and whatnot that are chasing some proper infrasonic reproduction. And yeah, to get that, you need some big boxes, big drivers, big ports, and a willingness to sacrifice floor space to do it.
Ir in the case of some of the IB folk... a whole other room/basement/attic to utilize. :rolleyes: ;)
I finally know what to do with my crawl space....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis