Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, this is my first post, been running a yamaha TSR-700 for several months now, had a couple of months ago some trouble with the hdmi earc but it got solved when I did un update about a month ago.

The only trouble Ive got is that I can't hear the atmos speakers loud enough, Im running an external amp to power the front L and R and to take some pressure out of the internal amp. Im running klipsch atmos speakers which have good sensitivity rating but still can't hear them as loud as I would want to get that real atmos sound, I even have the atmos speakers to +8 dbs while the center is at -1 db, the L & R at 0 db and the surrounds at + 2dbs.

Im running the avr at Auto on the format and it shows that its playing atmos on the display, if I put my hears close to the atmos speakers I can hear them but maybe not loud enough for them to bounce from the ceiling and back to my listening position...

All other speakers (Klipsch) on my system sound loud and clear
Curious, how did you set levels? Using YPAO?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Hi, this is my first post, been running a yamaha TSR-700 for several months now, had a couple of months ago some trouble with the hdmi earc but it got solved when I did un update about a month ago.

The only trouble Ive got is that I can't hear the atmos speakers loud enough, Im running an external amp to power the front L and R and to take some pressure out of the internal amp. Im running klipsch atmos speakers which have good sensitivity rating but still can't hear them as loud as I would want to get that real atmos sound, I even have the atmos speakers to +8 dbs while the center is at -1 db, the L & R at 0 db and the surrounds at + 2dbs.

Im running the avr at Auto on the format and it shows that its playing atmos on the display, if I put my hears close to the atmos speakers I can hear them but maybe not loud enough for them to bounce from the ceiling and back to my listening position...

As others have told me there may be some weird things happening after an update of a factory reset isn’t initiated. I’d give that a try and then recalibrate with YPAO.

That said even after such things on one I seem to have an odd issue with everything overpowering my dialogue on the center channel. I’ve not tried any pristine sources from Blu-ray 4k discs yet but streamed from Disney and Prime atmos sources and dialogue was just overpowered. Not sure what’s up there. Doesn’t sound as extreme as tour Atmos speaker issue though if you need to put your ear to it to hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

If you are not on firmware 1.35, run the update. Then, as some have suggested, perform a factory reset and rerun YPAO. Check your wiring for correct terminal connection and check settings for correct speaker assignment. You should not have to crank the atmos speakers that high. But, you also must not expect to hear much from them on some atmos tracks.

K

K-mu

Audiophyte
As others have told me there may be some weird things happening after an update of a factory reset isn’t initiated. I’d give that a try and then recalibrate with YPAO.

That said even after such things on one I seem to have an odd issue with everything overpowering my dialogue on the center channel. I’ve not tried any pristine sources from Blu-ray 4k discs yet but streamed from Disney and Prime atmos sources and dialogue was just overpowered. Not sure what’s up there. Doesn’t sound as extreme as tour Atmos speaker issue though if you need to put your ear to it to hear it.

Yes my center speaker seems to overpower everything, I did lower the db after YPAO and it helped a little

K

K-mu

Audiophyte
If you are not on firmware 1.35, run the update. Then, as some have suggested, perform a factory reset and rerun YPAO. Check your wiring for correct terminal connection and check settings for correct speaker assignment. You should not have to crank the atmos speakers that high. But, you also must not expect to hear much from them on some atmos tracks.
I did a firmware update about a month ago but don't remember which firmware I updated to, didn't perform a factory reset after the update, how is it done?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes did use YPAO to set up and ended up adding more dbs to the atmos speakers to help out but didn't help too much
Generally one of these programs like YPAO will get it closer to the intended spec than you will by ear alone, but many do seem to want more sounds coming out of more speakers, whether regular surrounds or the atmos type, but that's just a preference thing. If you're streaming as a source I've read many times of dissatisfaction with the atmos content particularly, though (as opposed to a bluray). Good luck on finding the balance of sound that you like, tho....

K

K-mu

Audiophyte
Generally one of these programs like YPAO will get it closer to the intended spec than you will by ear alone, but many do seem to want more sounds coming out of more speakers, whether regular surrounds or the atmos type, but that's just a preference thing. If you're streaming as a source I've read many times of dissatisfaction with the atmos content particularly, though (as opposed to a bluray). Good luck on finding the balance of sound that you like, tho....
Yes im pretty much streaming all my content either from Netflix or Amazon, could this be my issue of lack of atmos volume?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Using up firing atmos speakers can be frustrating as there is a very limited "sweet spot." If you are on the latest firmware, I'd reassign the speakers for a 5.1 setup and turn on the Dolby SP Virtual setting for Dolby Fakemos(Height Virtualization). You may find the effect more immersive than the one you are currently getting from the "bounce house" setup. If not, you can return to the previous settings. You can make all of the changes without leaving your chair.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes im pretty much streaming all my content either from Netflix or Amazon, could this be my issue of lack of atmos volume?
From most reports I've seen the content is limited on Atmos streaming compared to bluray, could translate to volume I suppose....and if using the bouncy house speakers that may not be helping either.

K

K-mu

Audiophyte
Using up firing atmos speakers can be frustrating as there is a very limited "sweet spot." If you are on the latest firmware, I'd reassign the speakers for a 5.1 setup and turn on the Dolby SP Virtual setting for Dolby Fakemos(Height Virtualization). You may find the effect more immersive than the one you are currently getting from the "bounce house" setup. If not, you can return to the previous settings. You can make all of the changes without leaving your chair.:)
Which one is the latest firmware that has the Best height virtualization?

THX

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Height virtualization finally came along in firmware 1.34. I believe the latest firmware is 1.36. So, if unit is not yet on 1.34, updating the unit will bring it up to 1.36.

K

K-mu

Audiophyte
Height virtualization finally came along in firmware 1.34. I believe the latest firmware is 1.36. So, if unit is not yet on 1.34, updating the unit will bring it up to 1.36.
Where can I find out which firmware version im running? thx

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
So a little while back my little TSR700 threw a fit and wouldn’t use CEC any longer to control my TV and Receiver. Still can’t tell if it is the Yamaha or the Apple TV that caused this but here is an interesting anecdote.

In both instances it would appear that I lost control in the day a new update was released for the TSR700 but BEFORE the update was applied.

I’ve since applied the update yesterday to 1.36 and still didn’t work. It’ll be a mystery as to what I need to do to restore it still but hopefully I can find something other than factory resetting the TV, AVR and Apple TV. That was a pain.

Anyone had the same issue in the last month or since update was released?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Anytime my HDMI-CEC acts up, unplugging the TV power cord for a bit usually fixes it. Haven't put the Yamaha back into service lately but need to run the update. S#%t, I've put it off long enough, time to go do some rewiring. You know I love it.:p

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Party mode can be interesting if you have an Atmos setup.

oh and btw I run all my video sources directly to tv.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Updated the little droid. Not to brag, but HDMI Control is working well.;) Should be acting up again by the time I go to bed.:D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
When Apple TV 4K stops playing nice with the TV and AVR it means reboot the Apple from the menu. This same scenario happens with my Fire Cube 4K even more often. It happens with Firestick 4K in another room too. (I’m using 2016 and 2017 Yamahas though)

Its often after a firmware update or a short power outage. Unfortunately I get short power outages that last less than 1 min in my neighborhood about once a month or once every 2 mo. Just long enough to reset my clocks on all my kitchen appliances. LOL :)

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
The Costco version is NOT available even online. BB selling for twice the price for V6A $649 with all the bugs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis