Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Bad influence! I don't need anymore excuses to get new cables.:D I have some quality cables from Monoprice but have thought about new 2.1 certified cables to see if they would be an improvement. I had glitches with the Yamaha and Onkyo alike but always blamed it on the Samsung TV.:D

W

wormraper

Audioholic Intern
Bad influence! I don't need anymore excuses to get new cables.:D I have some quality cables from Monoprice but have thought about new 2.1 certified cables to see if they would be an improvement. I had glitches with the Yamaha and Onkyo alike but always blamed it on the Samsung TV.:D
I hate to say it, but after switching to the Zeskit 2.1 cables (the lite version, not the mesh version. that thing was so thick and unflexible doing a bend with that beotch was near impossible) I noticed the E-arc issues went away.

I used the monoprice slimline 18 gbps 4k cables and I was MOSTLY good, but the glitches on the E-arc went away when upgrading. I personally think E-arc and DV are pushing the limits of the 18gbps cables and combined with the sensitivity of the HDMI control handling on the Yammy it's a recipe for glitching..something which can be overcome with more bandwidth

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just ARC and HDR10 for me, but I hear you on bandwidth. Great, now I'm going to go look at cables and a new TV.:mad::confused::D

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Anyone else get yet another firmware update today? Wonder what this one does now. That’s two in about 3 weeks maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

wormraper

Audioholic Intern
Anyone else get yet another firmware update today? Wonder what this one does now. That’s two in about 3 weeks maybe.

Yeah the notes just said "stability release". I updated reset my system from scratch and recalibrated. I don't notice any changes

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'm soooo not hooking it back up just for that update.:mad: Yeah, I'm soooo lying, you know I'll do it.:confused:

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
HDMI Control is still buggy with everything out there. What I noticed worked a bit better for me was not using the ARC input on the TV. This may not be an option for those using Smart TV apps and wanting Dolby Atmos streams from the TV. I also use an Apple TV 4K and don't need the TV apps and have an optical connection there. So, I moved from the ARC input on the TV to another and am still able to use HDMI Control. I think too many things are going on in that cable and input when using HDMI Control and ARC. You might try that after a reset, which is always good advice.
Thanks for the suggestions and to everyone else but I’ve factory reset everything and plugged new 8k certified ultra hd cables between receiver and tv and receiver and Apple TV and still no CEC. Tried moving to another hdmi port on TV and still no dice.

Don’t know if there is anything else to do at this point but I’m open to other suggestions. Real bummer not having single button power up.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI-CEC is on in every device, yes? Apple TV set to control TV and AVR? When putting it to sleep, does it not turn off TV and receiver?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would guess the TV is the issue if only 3 devices are involved . I don’t have an LG. My Samsung 4K TV works great with Yamaha RXA2060 and AppleTV 4K . In another room my old Panasonic plasma works great with my Yamaha RXA770 and AppleTV 4K.

G

Gadget-geek

Audiophyte
Just for FYI for others and this may be related to the last firmware update but the other day my system just randomly decided to not allow control from one unit to the other both for power on/off and volume control. Right now I only have an older LG OLED, the Yamaha, and a 1st Gen Apple TV 4K in the mix. The Apple TV was able to control the volume directly to the Yamaha via HDMI and when I turned it on it turned everything on. All of a sudden, none of the signals pass thru it or to it for control. I had to revert to using IR for Volume control and the only thing that turns on automatically is the Yamaha when I turn on the TV. Turning TV off does nothing. Turning ATV does nothing.

I'll probably revert to resetting everything to factory and starting over to see if that fixes the issue starting with the Yamaha but has added some frustrating to the system for sure.
LG's recent firmware change for the OLED TV's have caused many issues with Dolby Vision and receivers.
Yamaha, LG, Denon/Marantz are all actively working on firmware upgrades to address some of these changes.
Perhaps it's something that has affected you.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
LG's recent firmware change for the OLED TV's have caused many issues with Dolby Vision and receivers.
Yamaha, LG, Denon/Marantz are all actively working on firmware upgrades to address some of these changes.
Perhaps it's something that has affected you.
Certainly possible but I don’t recall updating the TV and I had it set to manually update. My Yamaha had been updated about 2 weeks prior but problem took some time to manifest itself. Good to know either way. Life used to be simpler. :)

I have enabled CEC on all devices and tried toggling off and on in various ways to see if anything changes and got nowhere. It’s frustrating for me but my wife is out of her mind with it. Once you get used to one button push power on and off it is hard to go back. I ditched my old Logitech harmony stuff a while back too.

I’ll keep trying different things but I’m honestly out of ideas.

Firmware updates are a pain. Honestly I problem shouldn’t have bothered with any of them but keeping thinking there will be subtle improvements somewhere. No meaningful release notes at least for Yamaha leave you guessing most of the time too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if the $30 Amazon firestick 4K would work for you. I have both the Apple TV 4K and the Firestick 4K. (One room has the Fire cube 4K). You can program the remote to turn TV and receiver off and on, even if HDMI CEC is disabled.

Anyhow the GF uses the Firestick and hates the AppleTV so I have both streamers in 3 rooms.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
For better or worse I’m all in on the Apple devices.

The good news is I fixed the issue I think.

Counterintuitively and probably wrong but it works I had to set my audio output to TV only on the television and then turn CEC on (LG calls it SimpLink) and what do you know it started working. Not sure how but that fixed it.

The odd thing is once I turned CEC back with the LG it turned the audio out back to optical/hdmi arc. It has to be some bug or interaction between the TV and the Yamaha but I’ll take it.

Once that was done the Apple TV could re-enable CEC control and volume adjust via CEC too on the Yamaha.

As someone said earlier I think there is too much going on with then HDMI protocols that no one seems to get it right if there even is a known right. Hopefully though this helps someone else in future as it was maddening.

Thanks everyone for helping out and suggestions.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I also like hitting the Menu button on the Apple TV remote control and having the TV and receiver turn on and switch to the Apple TV. You know, like it is supposed to do reliably every time using HDMI-CEC. Yeah, like it will ever be reliable.:confused: Keep those optical cables handy.:D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The gen 2 remote is awesome on my gen1 Apple TV 4K streamers. I bought one for all 3 rooms. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, need to get one. Finally a proper back button, mute and power buttons. Tired of thumb sliding off of Gen 1 remote control and screwing up selections.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Yeah, need to get one. Finally a proper back button, mute and power buttons. Tired of thumb sliding off of Gen 1 remote control and screwing up selections.
Just wish they hadn’t reversed the pause/play and mute. You get used to it but it wasn’t necessary to change it.

Last edited:
K

K-mu

Audiophyte
Hi, this is my first post, been running a yamaha TSR-700 for several months now, had a couple of months ago some trouble with the hdmi earc but it got solved when I did un update about a month ago.

The only trouble Ive got is that I can't hear the atmos speakers loud enough, Im running an external amp to power the front L and R and to take some pressure out of the internal amp. Im running klipsch atmos speakers which have good sensitivity rating but still can't hear them as loud as I would want to get that real atmos sound, I even have the atmos speakers to +8 dbs while the center is at -1 db, the L & R at 0 db and the surrounds at + 2dbs.

Im running the avr at Auto on the format and it shows that its playing atmos on the display, if I put my hears close to the atmos speakers I can hear them but maybe not loud enough for them to bounce from the ceiling and back to my listening position...

All other speakers (Klipsch) on my system sound loud and clear

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis