Denon AVR-x3700H issues

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Understood.. the Sony was plug and play, never had any issues and the user interface was good.. my wife could turn it on select what’s she wanted from a picture and go...you would think the denon’s, yamahas would move to the 21st century. I still have to remember the CD or Aux or whatever is Xbox vs appletv. My system is in a cabinet so a nice user interface on power on you would think would be #1... but no, let’s make it ridiculous. I wish LG, Samsung, or Apple made high end receivers.. I don’t mind complicated, I am a techie, but family is not.. you would think someone at these companies would think about it.. it’s why so many people are buying sound bars.. I predict denon, marantz will be out of business if they don’t start thinking about the consumer.. there are very few people nowadays that care about half the menu options but many people want high end sound and are willing to pay for it.. why isnt there something in the middle such as high end sound but more user friendly.. keep all the options, but explain them while you use them.. power on, show pictures of all your plug in devices.. I’d bet PS4, Xbox, appletv, make up 90% of the inputs.. so why do I still have a CD, AUX, buttons on an archaic remote... I can go on and on, it’s like they are in a time warp.
After reading this last post of your, it seems a lot of your difficulty is your fault. You have not done your set up properly. Denon Marantz has input assign. It is clear to me you have not assigned your inputs. If you do input assign, you can describe what is connected to which input, and it will display on the receiver front screen and your TV.
In addition receivers have to deal with HDMI, optical and analog inputs. You can assign any combination to any input.

I suggest that you settle down and properly set your receiver up. This takes some time, but once done is not that difficult to use. eARC can be a bit of a pill, but once you get that set up, then it now actually works quite well.

In addition, TVs are now complicated and you need to also spend time setting your TV up properly, otherwise it will not integrate well with your receiver.

I'm now pretty sure your problems are of your own making and not the fault of Denon. My wife has no problem figuring out which button to press to view what she wants.

Owners have very diverse needs, and need the ability to connect a wide variety of devices. That means that initial set up will take time, and the more devices you have and their diversity, the more complex the set up will be.

There is no receiver made that will meet the requirement you stated in your original post.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pictures for devices? Just get a universal remote with macros that all you need do is pick the desired activity, even wives and kids can handle that for the most part. Pictures, tho? This like the idiocy of people "learning" based on unqualified youtube videos?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Deep breaths now and start from scratch. Nobody can know what is going on without all of the facts. Yes, 4K HDR capable setups are complicated and need to be setup properly. Is the Denon in question in 4K Advanced mode? Are all HDMI cables certified and do they support ethernet? Is every device in the chain HDR capable and set as such? HDMI-CEC on in every device that needs to be controlled? Manual downloaded and ready to read?

Last edited:
V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
After reading this last post of your, it seems a lot of your difficulty is your fault. You have not done your set up properly. Denon Marantz has input assign. It is clear to me you have not assigned your inputs. If you do input assign, you can describe what is connected to which input, and it will display on the receiver front screen and your TV.
In addition receivers have to deal with HDMI, optical and analog inputs. You can assign any combination to any input.

I suggest that you settle down and properly set your receiver up. This takes some time, but once done is not that difficult to use. eARC can be a bit of a pill, but once you get that set up, then it now actually works quite well.

In addition, TVs are now complicated and you need to also spend time setting your TV up properly, otherwise it will not integrate well with your receiver.

I'm now pretty sure your problems are of your own making and not the fault of Denon. My wife has no problem figuring out which button to press to view what she wants.

Owners have very diverse needs, and need the ability to connect a wide variety of devices. That means that initial set up will take time, and the more devices you have and their diversity, the more complex the set up will be.

There is no receiver made that will meet the requirement you stated in your original post.
OK, i'll take a pause from my rant because i mostly fed up with the problems with this receiver, which caused me to go off on Denon. Maybe not entirely their fault, but one thing i know for sure, is i know as much as many on this forum and set up my system thoroughly. When it doesnt work the way it supposed to, thats when i have an issue. When i replaced it with my old sony, and everything worked, (other than not having 9 channels or Atmos), so i know where the issue is.

Let me make myself very clear. i did my set up properly. I assigned all my inputs.. xbox, ps4, appleTV, blue ray, Directv and all are HDMI. I set up my TV without ARC because i am using ARC from my projector, which has a nice interface. Its an LG HU810P. I know whats assigned to what input.. i said that. but for others that enter the room, they would need a cross reference wouldn't they? GAME is PS4, but where is the XBOX input? Everything is hidden in my theater, and the controller isnt back lit, so you look at it and just have to know which one to select. The SONY has large "WATCH" or "LISTEN" buttons and you push one of them and on the screen are all of the inputs by pictures. Yeah, I know all the knuckle dragger audiophiles will laugh at that, but its nice for those that are not like you or me. So, I get it, i know what to push.

I know how ARC works and guess what? This reveiver/Projector combo will turn on the receiver thats not connected to the ARC port. So fill me in on what i missed in the set up that you so firmly agree I missed? Not all the time BTW.. Another issue is the Sony processed 4K without an issue, the Denon has issues with DirecTV 4k, it shows a screen with pastel colors(so i bought a high end HDMI 8K cables just for that but it didnt fix it) When the Projector is connected to Monitor 1 and both are ARC, the projector works fine. When i connect the TV to monitor2, and a non-arc output on the TV, the receiver doesnt want to select monitor2 when on auto, it always connects to monitor1.. so i have to turn off auto to get it to show output on monitor2. Then it will show both but the TV will blink every 10 seconds or so.. Stay with me.. so when the projector screen is up i have to open the cabinet, go to to settings, video, output, and indicate monitor2 to fix that. Real Nice.. The Sony had a button on the controller for HDMI1, HDM2 or both. it would cycle on a simple push. Convienent. Not Denon. Sony would project both HDMI outputs at the same time, for me to do that i have to turn on Zone2 and have source audio because Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 will not simultaneous display output. I dont want to do that, it doesnt make sense.

So before you start running your mouth about me not knowing how to set things up, try comparing equipment instead. Denon user interface sucks, the sensitivity with HDMI is much worse than Sony. its a fact, and i can prove it.

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
Deep breaths now and start from scratch. Nobody can know what is going on without all of the facts. Yes, 4K HDR capable setups are complicated and need to be setup properly. Is the Denon in question in 4K Advanced mode? Are all HDMI cables certified and do they support ethernet? Is every device in the chain HDR capable and set as such? HDMI-CEC on in every device that needs to be controlled? Manual downloaded and ready to read?
Yes, you are right.. but i want you to know I have already done that several times and yes, downloaded the manual.. and yes, because of the issues, I bought ALL NEW HDMI 4k/8k Certified cables. and oh by the way, i know quite a bit about what i am doing. My rant is on purpose tonight because i am just fed up with the problems. I have not explained all the issues in detail because i am tired. I want to throw it all away and buy a freaking sound bar.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry you are so frustrated. We’ve all been there. Not sure about the version of your Sony, but the Denon is HDCP 2.3 and older HDCP 1.4 devices will have some issues with some new AVRs. The version of the device can be assigned to the input in use. The HDMI Monitor 1and 2 outputs on the Denon do have limited abilities and are not fully independent of each other. The lesser monitor/TV’s resolution will be used.
520083B0-DF48-4D08-8E2A-906E2A8D6144.jpeg
1DF5434A-93A6-4967-9632-A08E76ACF102.jpeg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK, i'll take a pause from my rant because i mostly fed up with the problems with this receiver, which caused me to go off on Denon. Maybe not entirely their fault, but one thing i know for sure, is i know as much as many on this forum and set up my system thoroughly. When it doesnt work the way it supposed to, thats when i have an issue. When i replaced it with my old sony, and everything worked, (other than not having 9 channels or Atmos), so i know where the issue is.

Let me make myself very clear. i did my set up properly. I assigned all my inputs.. xbox, ps4, appleTV, blue ray, Directv and all are HDMI. I set up my TV without ARC because i am using ARC from my projector, which has a nice interface. Its an LG HU810P. I know whats assigned to what input.. i said that. but for others that enter the room, they would need a cross reference wouldn't they? GAME is PS4, but where is the XBOX input? Everything is hidden in my theater, and the controller isnt back lit, so you look at it and just have to know which one to select. The SONY has large "WATCH" or "LISTEN" buttons and you push one of them and on the screen are all of the inputs by pictures. Yeah, I know all the knuckle dragger audiophiles will laugh at that, but its nice for those that are not like you or me. So, I get it, i know what to push.

I know how ARC works and guess what? This reveiver/Projector combo will turn on the receiver thats not connected to the ARC port. So fill me in on what i missed in the set up that you so firmly agree I missed? Not all the time BTW.. Another issue is the Sony processed 4K without an issue, the Denon has issues with DirecTV 4k, it shows a screen with pastel colors(so i bought a high end HDMI 8K cables just for that but it didnt fix it) When the Projector is connected to Monitor 1 and both are ARC, the projector works fine. When i connect the TV to monitor2, and a non-arc output on the TV, the receiver doesnt want to select monitor2 when on auto, it always connects to monitor1.. so i have to turn off auto to get it to show output on monitor2. Then it will show both but the TV will blink every 10 seconds or so.. Stay with me.. so when the projector screen is up i have to open the cabinet, go to to settings, video, output, and indicate monitor2 to fix that. Real Nice.. The Sony had a button on the controller for HDMI1, HDM2 or both. it would cycle on a simple push. Convienent. Not Denon. Sony would project both HDMI outputs at the same time, for me to do that i have to turn on Zone2 and have source audio because Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 will not simultaneous display output. I dont want to do that, it doesnt make sense.

So before you start running your mouth about me not knowing how to set things up, try comparing equipment instead. Denon user interface sucks, the sensitivity with HDMI is much worse than Sony. its a fact, and i can prove it.
Quality, Reliability, Compatibility, Functionality and Support are the 5 things I always talk about.

But to be fair, a lot of people have success with DM and absolutely love DM. And people who absolutely love DM might hate Sony and Yamaha.

There is something for everyone. Sony AVR might work great in your system, but may not work great in some other systems. Who knows.

So are you thinking of getting a new Sony AVR after this experience ? :D

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
Quality, Reliability, Compatibility, Functionality and Support are the 5 things I always talk about.

But to be fair, a lot of people have success with DM and absolutely love DM. And people who absolutely love DM might hate Sony and Yamaha.

There is something for everyone. Sony AVR might work great in your system, but may not work great in some other systems. Who knows.

Sorry you are so frustrated. We’ve all been there. Not sure about the version of your Sony, but the Denon is HDCP 2.3 and older HDCP 1.4 devices will have some issues with some new AVRs. The version of the device can be assigned to the input in use. The HDMI Monitor 1and 2 outputs on the Denon do have limited abilities and are not fully independent of each other. The lesser monitor/TV’s resolution will be used.
View attachment 49016View attachment 49017
Thanks for the response.. I have a 4K TV (HDCP 2.2) and have a 4K projector (HDCP 2.3).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to write post here, I have been reading stuff here though. I have purchased Denon AVR-X3700H and it has been delivered on July 8th. I bought Klipsch RP-8000F and RP-504C to replace Paradigm Monitor V9 floor standing and CC-370 center. I am still using Paradigm Surround 3 for surrounds , Sonance in wall for atmos rear height speakers.

my observation so far is, Denon movie experience is way better than my previous Yamaha RX-A1020 but for music(stereo), I feel Yamaha is better.

I have observed few issues with this AVR and would like to get a confirmation from you that it is a defective piece so that I can return/replace it. No issues with sound as such but with video. l I have Apple TV 4K that I primarily use for streaming. First of all, sometimes when coming out of Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime shows/movies that there's little pop noise coming from my left surround later did extensive test and found that this pop noise is coming from my center , front left also, so, it is not speaker issue. (since my front stage is new I thought it maybe a speaker issue initially). Second, sometimes when I turn on receiver it is unable to send video signal from source to TV (I experienced this with my Apple TV, Xfinity xi6 box and blu ray player) meaning TV shows pop up saying "please connect to a source". When I switch inputs using Denon remote, then it is able to send video to TV. I know there will be lag when we switch inputs and screen can be blank but this is different, video completely not sent from AVR I think. And once or twice, while watching The Morning Show episode in Apple TV+, I pressed menu (to go back from show), TV screen turned blank and after few seconds TV said "please connect to a source". I am disappointed with my purchase.

I have called Denon support and tech support guy said there's some issue with the device/piece and asked me to return it. Anyone experienced this type of issue with Denon (I dont think so)...felt very bad to switch to Denon (primary reason is to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX AVR that is future proof (8K) ), I never had a single issue with my Yamaha.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Disclaimer: Please excuse me for my English and spelling mistakes.
Regarding the "pops", I would suggest you check carefully the connections at both ends for the affected channels especially if banana plugs are used. Some of those banana plugs may look good but can still have poor connections, enough to cause the occasional/intermittent "pops", been there done that.. It may not be the cause but you never know, no harm trying.

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
What is the model of the TV?
Vizio M70-D3. Latest firmware applied and using TV's HDMI1 port (HDMI1 which is the Full Color port and includes ARC if needed). I have TV connected to monitor 2, CEC turned off on TV. I have the projector attached to Monitor 1 on AVR and HDMI 3 (ARC) on the projector (supports eARC also). Of note, i can make movies work great by disconnecting the TV from the receiver and only use the projector HDMI in Monitor 1. Once i plug in the TV to monitor 2, it causes all sorts of issues in communication and i just dont know why. as part of trouble shooting i have disconnected all ports, reset and power off the AVR. Added them back and turned it on. Last night i simply wanted to watch the 70" TV instead of a movie with the projector screen down. (I have 5 TV's on a wall with the 70" as center to watch football). With the Sony, i never had switching issues between the 2. If this AVR will not send 4k video to both HDMI outputs (which i thought it did) with a method to easily switch, (I obviously dont need it simultaneously) then I missed that, and this isnt the receiver for me and i need to be corrected. I thought I could connect a 4k receiver and 4K projector at the same time and easily switch between the 2, regardless of which device was connected to the ARC port.

Last edited:
V

vfz

Audioholic Intern

I am coming from the STR-DN1070, but wanted Atmos with 7.2.2. and the only Sony that would support that is $1000 more then the Denon... meant to add i am now looking at the Yamaha RX-A2080, but really want to figure out the Denon so i dont waste $1300

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, first thing first. Fire up the TV. Make sure everything is set to Enhanced or whatever the designation for HDR. Then, go to the Apple TV 4K. Check the video settings. If it shows 4:2:0 and does NOT allow a change from 4:2:0, there is an issue with a cable or device in the chain. If 4:2:2 is available, select a movie you know to be a Dolby Vision title. If the label shows HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision, something is off somewhere. Remember, the max output of HDR from devices and the Denon is based on the weaker of the monitors. The Sony STR DN1070 did not support Dolby Vision and everything seemed to work just fine in HDR10. The Vizio, though only a few years old, may be the culprit in the setup as manufacturers are not required to maintain backward compatibility with older HDCP specs and some just aren't doing a good job of supporting anything but the newest spec in new devices. You may also need to change the HDCP spec for the DirecTV input on the Denon to 1.4 for it to work properly. It still may have issues. HDCP is the pain in everybody's a$$ when trying to combine new and older devices in a home theater setting. The lack of a standard for HDMI-CEC and a standard designation for HDR settings across manufacturers only adds to the frustration. If already connected to the HDMI 1 input on the Vizio, make sure to also enable UHD Color or it will not accept and display an HDR signal and force everything else to stop short of HDR as well.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Make all the jokes you want about Sony, but compared to Denon, the quality control is a 99 and the Denon is a 15. I swapped out my Sony for a Denon AVR X3700H for a more premium experience with high end speakers, cables and projector. So what did i end up with.. nothing but problems... how do you fix it? dont use that option, turn this off, turn that off, un plug everything, power it down... reset it.. etc. etc. Yeah it finally worked, but connecting to both a TV and a Projector at the same time is nothing but trouble.. This piece of crap is the worst investment i have ever made with audio equipment. Denon support is non existent, denon sales would rather eat lunch then sell things. Anyone here want a brand new 3 month old Denon? Still under warranty.. give me your best price.. i have all the receipts and bought it from an authorized reseller. I have wasted countless hours.. can someone please recommend a 9.2 4K receiver that will input Directv and Applet TV, and will send video out to my 4K TV and 4K LG Laser projector without me having to go into settings just to watch something, i will buy it, just dont tell me its a Denon.
Hang on, before you shoot it, you may have experienced the exact same problem I had. There's ONE stupid setting (IP SCALER) that you have to get to and force it to NOT mess with your signal all the time. That's where the handshake problems come into play all the time. It glitches out every 5-10 seconds and when you talk to Denon they say all kinds of crazy poop like "make sure you turn the devices on in a specific order" "try using different HDMI ports, ones closest to the projector" n my favourite "Buy a $150 HDMI EDID emulator" which I ALMOST DID...so I agree, the customer support is a bag of rocks.

Here's what I finally found (and am still ticked that they never ever STARTED with this when I called them) that did it for me: in your DENON settings, go to SETUP, then under OUTPUT SETTINGS turn the IP SCALER "OFF". That way the Denon isn't trying to adjust your resolution using it's own scaler. I think the scaler in the Denon is constantly checking the res to see if it's the best, and that makes hiccups with the HDMI handshake all the time.

If all your displays and sources are 4K you can also use the IP SCALER and choose 4K instead of auto, and it should always use a 4K output signal.

Also, in the same OUTPUT SETTINGS right at the top you should have the HDMI VIDEO OUTPUT to AUTO(DUAL)...SHOULD send the same signal out the two outputs you use.

Give that a try and hope it helps.

Last edited:
V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
Pictures for devices? Just get a universal remote with macros that all you need do is pick the desired activity, even wives and kids can handle that for the most part. Pictures, tho? This like the idiocy of people "learning" based on unqualified youtube videos?
Hang on, before you shoot it, you may have experienced the exact same problem I had. There's ONE stupid setting (IP SCALER) that you have to get to and force it to NOT mess with your signal all the time. That's where the handshake problems come into play all the time. It glitches out every 5-10 seconds and when you talk to Denon they say all kinds of crazy poop like "make sure you turn the devices on in a specific order" "try using different HDMI ports, ones closest to the projector" n my favourite "Buy a $150 HDMI EDID emulator" which I ALMOST DID...so I agree, the customer support is a bag of rocks.

Here's what I finally found (and am still ticked that they never ever STARTED with this when I called them) that did it for me: in your DENON settings, go to SETUP, then under OUTPUT SETTINGS turn the IP SCALER "OFF". That way the Denon isn't trying to adjust your resolution using it's own scaler. I think the scaler in the Denon is constantly checking the res to see if it's the best, and that makes hiccups with the HDMI handshake all the time.

If all your displays and sources are 4K you can also use the IP SCALER and choose 4K instead of auto, and it should always use a 4K output signal.

Also, in the same OUTPUT SETTINGS right at the top you should have the HDMI VIDEO OUTPUT to AUTO(DUAL)...SHOULD send the same signal out the two outputs you use.

Give that a try and hope it helps.
Thanks for your suggestions.. I did have IP Scaling off and HDMI Video Output to AUTO. I reset everything yesterday and unplugged the units and started from scratch with the TV and it works until i have 2 displays plugged in. Denon told me its bandwidth issues, and so far i have confirmed it.. here is the problem.. it won't work with 8k certified cables both less then 10 ft. I plugged Monitor 2 to a 1080P TV and the other to a 4K TV and still had the problem... independently both outputs work great, full 4K, Dolby Vision. hooking up a 1080p (or anything that or above) to the other HDMI out while the other is connected to a 4K display, the video just stops. Denon says thats by design, too much bandwidth, and splitting causes the issue... so in order to use both outputs simultaneously connected (even though they would never be used at the same time) they recommend HDMI boosters.

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
Ok, first thing first. Fire up the TV. Make sure everything is set to Enhanced or whatever the designation for HDR. Then, go to the Apple TV 4K. Check the video settings. If it shows 4:2:0 and does NOT allow a change from 4:2:0, there is an issue with a cable or device in the chain. If 4:2:2 is available, select a movie you know to be a Dolby Vision title. If the label shows HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision, something is off somewhere. Remember, the max output of HDR from devices and the Denon is based on the weaker of the monitors. The Sony STR DN1070 did not support Dolby Vision and everything seemed to work just fine in HDR10. The Vizio, though only a few years old, may be the culprit in the setup as manufacturers are not required to maintain backward compatibility with older HDCP specs and some just aren't doing a good job of supporting anything but the newest spec in new devices. You may also need to change the HDCP spec for the DirecTV input on the Denon to 1.4 for it to work properly. It still may have issues. HDCP is the pain in everybody's a$$ when trying to combine new and older devices in a home theater setting. The lack of a standard for HDMI-CEC and a standard designation for HDR settings across manufacturers only adds to the frustration. If already connected to the HDMI 1 input on the Vizio, make sure to also enable UHD Color or it will not accept and display an HDR signal and force everything else to stop short of HDR as well.
Independently, both displays work with some caveats. The Vizio is HDCP 2.2 and by itself, will do Dolby Vision and HDR. The Projector does get impacted (I have to use 4K SDR even when used independently) due to the length of the cable (I am using HDMI fiber 8k certified cable but the cable length is 50ft). Furthermore, when the output is split, that output fails completely, no output at all. Denon told me its bandwidth issues, and so far i have confirmed it.. here is the concern .. it had the same problem with video when i hooked up a 1080p TV to Monitor 2 and a 4K TV to Monitor 1. independently both outputs work great at short distance, full 4K, Dolby Vision. But, hooking up a 1080p (or anything that or above) to the 2nd HDMI out while the other is connected to a 4K display, the video just stops. Denon says thats by design, too much bandwidth, and ANY splitting causes the issue... so in order to use both outputs simultaneously connected (even though they would never be used at the same time) they recommend HDMI boosters. I am still chasing this down but wanted to share. So in a game room where you have a center TV for output (in my case its a 70"), and a 120" drop down screen, they both cant live without a booster (or so they say, haven't tried it yet). You are prob asking why i have both? The 70 TV is surrounded by 4 50" TV's for a 5 TV Football/sports room. For movies, the 4 TV's slide centrally and the screen comes down and covers all of it for a movie experience. Never had the issues in the past due to 1080p.. at least thats what i believe now.. will need to test some more.. You would think that Denon would know that splitting 4K HDR would be problematic, I should have bought the boosters in the first place.. live and learn

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Cool setup. Helpful info too. Yeah, that is a hell of a split run for dolby vision and eARC to work.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am coming from the STR-DN1070, but wanted Atmos with 7.2.2. and the only Sony that would support that is $1000 more then the Denon... meant to add i am now looking at the Yamaha RX-A2080, but really want to figure out the Denon so i dont waste $1300
I would go 5.x.4 before 7.x.2.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your suggestions.. I did have IP Scaling off and HDMI Video Output to AUTO. I reset everything yesterday and unplugged the units and started from scratch with the TV and it works until i have 2 displays plugged in. Denon told me its bandwidth issues, and so far i have confirmed it.. here is the problem.. it won't work with 8k certified cables both less then 10 ft. I plugged Monitor 2 to a 1080P TV and the other to a 4K TV and still had the problem... independently both outputs work great, full 4K, Dolby Vision. hooking up a 1080p (or anything that or above) to the other HDMI out while the other is connected to a 4K display, the video just stops. Denon says thats by design, too much bandwidth, and splitting causes the issue... so in order to use both outputs simultaneously connected (even though they would never be used at the same time) they recommend HDMI boosters.
In that case, you CAN get an HDMI splitter booster that would take your one signal and send it to two devices. If bandwidth was the problem, that should do it. DON'T get the $20 ones from Amazon...you'll have to spend some money to get a solid 4K splitter.

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
In that case, you CAN get an HDMI splitter booster that would take your one signal and send it to two devices. If bandwidth was the problem, that should do it. DON'T get the $20 ones from Amazon...you'll have to spend some money to get a solid 4K splitter.
Update: Last night i was able to send HDR10/Dolby vision to my projector using my 50ft fiberoptic HDMI cable on Monitor 2.. when ONLY monitor 2 was plugged in. For Apple TV to send its highest quality, I had to change AppleTV to HDR/4K/59.4 and Chroma to 4:2:2 and that worked. (if you dont increase Chroma, you will get speckles in the background) So, the real issue is when you set Output to AUTO/DUAL you create a splitter in the Denon.. and with both outputs connected, sabotages the signal quality. You can change the output settings to Monitor1 or 2 to force it only to work that way (as a switch instead) but since Denon didnt give you a button on the remote to quickly do that, you have to go into settings each time. This is, in my opinion, as design flaw for 4K receivers that have 2 outputs. The Sony had an HDMI switch on the remote so you can easily switch from Monitor 1 to Monitor 2 or choose BOTH to make it work as a splitter instead. So because of the design flaw, i can 1) buy a quality HDMI switch with a remote to switch from TV to Projector without degrading quality. Or 2) go into settings each time and change to the monitor that i want to watch.... Of note, a booster won't help because i am using a fiber HDMI cable that has 0 degradation at 50ft, so thats not the issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis