Focal Sopra N°1 Bookshelf & Center Speaker Review

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just wonder if you’ve actually heard and seen this speaker line in person, and not in a horrible room? You were right there with a price, so you must have some hard data to back up the valuation, right?
I have heard enough neutral speakers, in fancy cabinets, to know value and about how far a paper, or plastic/metal, piston-driven-cone can do, with regard to music. There is certainly no shortage of these well reviewed super speaker types on the auction block, either. Who's owners were all bubbling over with glee, initially. Then what happened? We see it all the time. Next time you see them, they have moved on to the next greatest thing before the warranty is even up.

There is no bookshelf speaker in the world (technically, mechanically, performance wise) worth $10k. That price indicates a company that either needs to trim a LOT of fat, or that there are way too many hands in that pie that are not creating anything of actual value, that think they deserve to be paid so handsomely for just touching it.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Build quality with regard to performance is rather redundant. The fact that speakers of this quality cost more than $2k with the available technology, is more telling, than not. It's not as if some pedigreed Swiss watchmaker is painstakingly assembling each one by hand out of all hand cut parts, and that's how they are priced. They are priced that much because someone will pay it. If they don't move at that price, they would either be discontinued, discounted, or passed off to the highest bidding liquidator, or all of the above.

Sorry but, "superbly neutral response" is not magic, come 2021. This is still (by today's technological standards) crude, mechanical technology. CNC machined cabinet parts, are no mystery either. People have CNC capabilities in their garages, these days.

I can certainly find audibly perfect (what is the actual weak link of all this tech?), well constructed speakers for much less. For less than half, the JBL 708P, would certainly contend, and include amplification. What would I be giving up? $4k worth of additional styling?
That was the longest answer ever for “no, I have not heard these speakers”……

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For many, though, style matters. At a certain price point (and that will vary by individual) I expect a high level of finish and something that is pleasing to look at. If the speaker is simply playing background music, I don't care much what it looks like, but in my main system at my prime location I am looking at my components. There is enjoyment and pride of ownership in looking at a well assembled system. If sound was all that mattered, I could throw together a BMR Monitor kit for $1k and spray the MDF with a can and be done with it, but who wants to show that off in their living room? I get the point that $10k is excessive but for some they not only desire great sound but the speaker is almost a work of art at that level of finish. Some people pay tens of thousands to hang a piece of art on the wall. Someone paying $10k for a bookshelf is obviously looking for more than just background music. Focal has certainly shown that there is a viable market in that class.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just wonder if you’ve actually heard and seen this speaker line in person, and not in a horrible room? You were right there with a price, so you must have some hard data to back up the valuation, right?
Every speaker I own, audibly exceeds the quality possible (or available, perhaps) in a recording, at least with the music I would ever listen to, which is a lot. So, what exactly are you going to play back through these $10k, book shelf speakers?

I was right there with a price because I use, and help to develop and source machined parts made with the same, modern manufacturing processes, and since well before computers started building and designing everything. At least back then, you could somewhat qualify the introductory costs, just for the pile of failed engineering, the prototypes built, destroyed, and sent to the landfill, that it took to get something right, more often than not. Now a computer can sim, and at least get you in the ballpark before you plug in the first tool.

So where does all of this savings that modern technology provides go? Are these really $40k speakers that are now at an affordable $10k? I think not. The industrial age was supposed to make life easier, instead the opposite is true, and for much the same reason that these "toys" cost as much as they do.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
That was the longest answer ever for “no, I have not heard these speakers”……
Hey Einstein, I was typing that before you asked that question. It's an internet forum with the usual communication limitations. GTF over yourself with trying to discredit a valid, "personal" opinion, with regard to cost of things these days. Did you pay $10k for a pair of these bookshelf speakers? Fine. Enjoy them for all they're worth.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Here's a pair on ebay discounted, with stands. How could such a perfect speaker, fall out of favor in a year's time?
Focal - Sopra No 1 & Sopra Stands - Second Hand - Shipping in Europe Only | eBay

The build quality is nothing extraordinary in 2021. If it was all hand made, to that level of consistency, that would be something else. It could still be done cost effectively enough.

I believe something like the Salks, are more fairly priced with about the same, or even better level of finish, and they are offering custom finishes with exotic veneers.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Hey Einstein, I was typing that before you asked that question. It's an internet forum with the usual communication limitations. GTF over yourself with trying to discredit a valid, "personal" opinion, with regard to cost of things these days. Did you pay $10k for a pair of these bookshelf speakers? Fine. Enjoy them for all they're worth.
Hardly think my question qualifies me as Einstein… but I’ll take it! So.. now that my question has reached you…. I’m still guessing you’ve never heard or seen these speakers in person? Your personal opinion would hold a ton more weight if you actually had any experience with the speakers reviewed here. That’s all I’m saying. The cost of these speakers in the US is higher that in the EU, so the price you found online will naturally be lower since that ad you found was in EU. Try finding that price here in the states.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Holy eff'n sheep-doo. . . . "Gamma structure." Really? What exactly does this mean, beyond physics? What could it possibly mean in these type of engineering terms? Is this $2k of the 10?

"At Focal, we use MDF (medium-density fiberboard) to achieve this. It may seem a "low-tech" solution compared to some cabinet materials employed today but MDF has inherent advantages that we believe make it the optimum material from which to construct a loudspeaker."

Shows a guy assembling an MDF cabinet with window bracing. All CNC routed parts. Big whup. If it was some proprietary (and it should be, at this price level) composite, I can perhaps see a higher level in materials, at least. But it's not.
I can see $10k in their towers, perhaps.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Hardly think my question qualifies me as Einstein… but I’ll take it! So.. now that my question has reached you…. I’m still guessing you’ve never heard or seen these speakers in person? Your personal opinion would hold a ton more weight if you actually had any experience with the speakers reviewed here. That’s all I’m saying. The cost of these speakers in the US is higher that in the EU, so the price you found online will naturally be lower since that ad you found was in EU. Try finding that price here in the states.
Does not matter if I have ever heard it. Music can only be so good, even live. Anything beyond that is redundant, or something else entirely. Why the review? Is it only directed at people who have heard, or will hear these speakers? I am going by the information provided. Neutral response, well measured speaker, with a supposed superior finish. The speaker has 2 drivers, and a cabinet.

"Pros:
  • Superbly neutral frequency response
  • Excellent off-axis performance
  • Very good electrical behavior
  • Fantastic build quality
  • Drop-dead gorgeous
Nothing else fits this description? These descriptions are not just placed upon $10k bookshelf speakers. They are pretty much 'cliche' by now with regard to speaker reviews. Based on these commonalities, used ad nauseam by now, "I" do not see this as a $10k speaker. But hey, if you do, by all means go drop $10k on a pair, if you already haven't.

I would not pay $6k for them here in the states, either. $2k is my limit for this level of size, technology and construction, period. Otherwise, I will use speakers matched in performance, to that of even the best of most available recordings.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
They are priced that much because someone will pay it. If they don't move at that price, they would either be discontinued, discounted, or passed off to the highest bidding liquidator, or all of the above.
Thanks for the Econ 101 lesson. :rolleyes:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't give 10 bucks for a speaker that I'm forced to hide behind a grill because they slapped the word sandwich on the front of it.;)

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
The new retail price for these speakers is 12K with the beautiful and well made stands. I was able to find a mint pair through a Focal reseller who took them in on trade (moving up to Sopra 2s). I paid 6,500 for mine which (in my opinion) is a great deal.
I’m not saying that the new retail price is too much, it’s just not in my budget. The fact is the second hand market is a tough space. I don’t think 6.5K was offered because they were trying to dump these speakers, it’s just what the used market will bare. This is not unique to the audio market. Have you ever tried to sell high end used furniture??? It’s WAY worse!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Build quality with regard to performance is rather redundant. The fact that speakers of this quality cost more than $2k with the available technology, is more telling, than not. It's not as if some pedigreed Swiss watchmaker is painstakingly assembling each one by hand out of all hand cut parts, and that's how they are priced. They are priced that much because someone will pay it. If they don't move at that price, they would either be discontinued, discounted, or passed off to the highest bidding liquidator, or all of the above.

Sorry but, "superbly neutral response" is not magic, come 2021. This is still (by today's technological standards) crude, mechanical technology. CNC machined cabinet parts, are no mystery either. People have CNC capabilities in their garages, these days.

I can certainly find audibly perfect (what is the actual weak link of all this tech?), well constructed speakers for much less. For less than half, the JBL 708P, would certainly contend, and include amplification. What would I be giving up? $4k worth of additional styling?
These speakers are hand-assembled in France, and they involve a lot of shaped and polished aluminum, glass, and MDF components. Later on, you compare them to Salks, well Salks don't have anything like that kind of construction. You also say that gaining such a flat frequency response from a passive loudspeaker is easy, but I really don't think so. If it was, many more manufacturers would be doing it.

If you say that this speaker should be a lot cheaper given the parts, hey, maybe you are right- but the problem is, there is not much out there like it that is cheaper. This is a luxury item, and the build quality and appearance are important to its goals, so you can't say to go get some studio monitors and be done with it. Some people want beautiful, well-made things and are willing to pay for it, and I don't blame them.

If the Sopras are as over-price and easy to make as you say, you should look at this as an opportunity. From what I hear, the Sopras have been a hugely successful loudspeaker line for Focal. Well, if they are so over-priced, you should be able to make something comparable that undercuts their pricing, and theoretically that should do very well. I think the reality is that you will find it difficult to significantly undercut Focal's pricing for similar speakers, but maybe you could shave a few thousand off the MSRP by moving production to China. As I said before, show me a speaker of comparable build, performance, and looks for significantly less cost.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe we should have some sort of ranking or breakdown of its furniture/appearance vs performance qualities ? Personally speakers and audio gear aren't making for pretty furniture in most cases, altho I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....but generally I think much audio gear is just not all that good looking except to those who are "into" the audio.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
These speakers are hand-assembled in France, and they involve a lot of shaped and polished aluminum, glass, and MDF components. Later on, you compare them to Salks, well Salks don't have anything like that kind of construction. You also say that gaining such a flat frequency response from a passive loudspeaker is easy, but I really don't think so. If it was, many more manufacturers would be doing it.

If you say that this speaker should be a lot cheaper given the parts, hey, maybe you are right- but the problem is, there is not much out there like it that is cheaper. This is a luxury item, and the build quality and appearance are important to its goals, so you can't say to go get some studio monitors and be done with it. Some people want beautiful, well-made things and are willing to pay for it, and I don't blame them.

If the Sopras are as over-price and easy to make as you say, you should look at this as an opportunity. From what I hear, the Sopras have been a hugely successful loudspeaker line for Focal. Well, if they are so over-priced, you should be able to make something comparable that undercuts their pricing, and theoretically that should do very well. I think the reality is that you will find it difficult to significantly undercut Focal's pricing for similar speakers, but maybe you could shave a few thousand off the MSRP by moving production to China. As I said before, show me a speaker of comparable build, performance, and looks for significantly less cost.
Thank you! Well said!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

Sorry. Not for me. Carry on. Buy two.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Sorry. Not for me. Carry on. Buy two.
I would love to see what gear you own so that we can understand what is “for you” and your frugal budget. Given your name “MrBoat” I’m assuming you consider boats a wise and cost effective investment?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would love to see what gear you own so that we can understand what is “for you” and your frugal budget. Given your name “MrBoat” I’m assuming you consider boats a wise and cost effective investment?
I built my own (and others) 18' wood boat, from scratch, 15 years ago. I still have it and it doesn't owe me anything. It paid me back in seafood roughly 10 years ago. Everything else has been pretty much a bonus ever since. Built entirely by hand, with hand tools, there is no more than 1/32" of error at any point in the build or it's parts. Not too shabby for being built on a makeshift jig outdoors. It's actually "handmade," of genuine mahogany framing, with Lloyds (their highest standard) certified marine plywood. It managed to gain quite a following (10s of thousands) over the years, somehow.

I've built or restored more than half of my audio gear as well, so I kind of know what goes into it, and what it costs. I started out life in electronics that I actually excelled at, but hated as a job. Have also built cabinetry for yachts, some of which managed to be featured in the media that goes with all that scene. I'm a schooled engineer, draftsman, fabricator and welder. I design, draw (full size), fabricate and weld everything I build. I have posted my gear and my work on here both good, and so-so. Still, all of it either exceeds, or matches what I feed it.

My day job involves a lot of the same processes that loud speakers, and just about everything else manufactured uses these days. I've been in these trades long enough to have evolved with these technologies from the start. When I see something allude to the notion of being "handmade," and charging accordingly, I tend to call out the BS. Sorry but, "hand assembled" is not hand made. Want to know what else is "hand assembled?" Ikea furniture. Big whup.

You have this rather nagging 'little' habit of attacking someone's personal character over brand support? Never said anything to you or about you, or anyone else about these speakers. I typically support others to buy what they enjoy, no matter what. You just keep inflicting your baby butt hurtedness on my posts for what reason? Says way more about you, than me. WTF is it that makes you so privy to expertise on this, or anything else? As someone who just buys things? So far, other than lip service, the only thing you have offered is some personal insult. You didn't even support this company with your purchase. You bought it second hand. That basically puts you up there in the 'el-cheapo' seats as some sort of clinger-on. The company probably hates those like you for circumventing their financial portfolio in this way. We don't even know if what you bought wasn't damaged/repaired or over-driven (when they realized the bass was a little weak) by the previous owner.

At the end of the product review video, it asked what were "my thoughts" on the matter and to post them. It did not ask for favorable thoughts only. My mistake. I will avoid this reviewers videos in the future. I offered a different perspective from someone who works for 30 years in custom manufacturing, both production, and one-off. It's rather obvious, based on the language and some rather, loose-footed errors in the review, that not everyone has hands-on experience/expertise across that board.

Now kindly buzz-off.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
I built my own (and others) 18' wood boat, from scratch, 15 years ago. I still have it and it doesn't owe me anything. It paid me back in seafood roughly 10 years ago. Everything else has been pretty much a bonus ever since. Built entirely by hand, with hand tools, there is no more than 1/32" of error at any point in the build or it's parts. Not too shabby for being built on a makeshift jig outdoors. It's actually "handmade," of genuine mahogany framing, with Lloyds (their highest standard) certified marine plywood. It managed to gain quite a following (10s of thousands) over the years, somehow.

I've built or restored more than half of my audio gear as well, so I kind of know what goes into it, and what it costs. I started out life in electronics that I actually excelled at, but hated as a job. Have also built cabinetry for yachts, some of which managed to be featured in the media that goes with all that scene. I'm a schooled engineer, draftsman, fabricator and welder. I design, draw (full size), fabricate and weld everything I build. I have posted my gear and my work on here both good, and so-so. Still, all of it either exceeds, or matches what I feed it.

My day job involves a lot of the same processes that loud speakers, and just about everything else manufactured uses these days. I've been in these trades long enough to have evolved with these technologies from the start. When I see something allude to the notion of being "handmade," and charging accordingly, I tend to call out the BS. Sorry but, "hand assembled" is not hand made. Want to know what else is "hand assembled?" Ikea furniture. Big whup.

You have this rather nagging 'little' habit of attacking someone's personal character over brand support? Never said anything to you or about you, or anyone else about these speakers. I typically support others to buy what they enjoy, no matter what. You just keep inflicting your baby butt hurtedness on my posts for what reason? Says way more about you, than me. WTF is it that makes you so privy to expertise on this, or anything else? As someone who just buys things? So far, other than lip service, the only thing you have offered is some personal insult. You didn't even support this company with your purchase. You bought it second hand. That basically puts you up there in the 'el-cheapo' seats as some sort of clinger-on. The company probably hates those like you for circumventing their financial portfolio in this way. We don't even know if what you bought wasn't damaged/repaired or over-driven (when they realized the bass was a little weak) by the previous owner.

At the end of the product review video, it asked what were "my thoughts" on the matter and to post them. It did not ask for favorable thoughts only. My mistake. I will avoid this reviewers videos in the future. I offered a different perspective from someone who works for 30 years in custom manufacturing, both production, and one-off. It's rather obvious, based on the language and some rather, loose-footed errors in the review, that not everyone has hands-on experience/expertise across that board.

Now kindly buzz-off.
Wow… “baby butt hurtedness”... that’s a good one.. right up there with the earlier “ Holy eff'n sheep-doo” that you came up with!

Anyway MrBoat, thanks for essay, and your thoughts…

Buzzzzzzzzzzz……..

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis