Focal Sopra N°1 Bookshelf & Center Speaker Review

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Just saw a comment on an asr thread that shadyj's measurements aren't up to those of the Klippel system Amir uses....this seems to say otherwise.
The Klippel system is certainly more capable and can do things that James and I can't, but that doesn't have anything to do with accuracy. James has accurate measurements. He simply can't measure their full polars down to 20hz.

Some folks get really hung up on really small micro-differences as proof of some kind of error.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Pfff!

Nope. I don't have any way of dealing with speakers as heavy as they are.
They would come out to set them up. I have a contact if you want James!

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Great review, very helpful in my quest.

I wonder if anyone has heard the Utopia Diablo iii monitors as well as the Sopra n1's? I see a few Diablos's on the used market here and there, and I've never read a single negative review. The question is; are the newer Sopra 1s leveraging updated tech to produce a better speaker, or are the Utopias on a difference scale (given the high asking price for even used versions).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great review, very helpful in my quest.

I wonder if anyone has heard the Utopia Diablo iii monitors as well as the Sopra n1's? I see a few Diablos's on the used market here and there, and I've never read a single negative review. The question is; are the newer Sopra 1s leveraging updated tech to produce a better speaker, or are the Utopias on a difference scale (given the high asking price for even used versions).
I looked very closely at the specs for the Diablo Utopia bookshelf speakers, and I am not sure how the price doubling is justified. It looked very similar to the Sopra No1 speakers.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
I looked very closely at the specs for the Diablo Utopia bookshelf speakers, and I am not sure how the price doubling is justified. It looked very similar to the Sopra No1 speakers.
Yeah, I did the same investigation. I know that measurements are not the whole story, which is why I ask for those who have heard both speakers. It appears that the Diablos are going for between 5-8K on the used market, so then the question becomes, is this a good deal, or am I investing in older technology and missing out on the advancements and lack of wear and tear in a newer pair of Sopra 1's? I have to admit the Diablos are vey cool looking.. but that's just a "nice to have" feature....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, I did the same investigation. I know that measurements are not the whole story, which is why I ask for those who have heard both speakers. It appears that the Diablos are going for between 5-8K on the used market, so then the question becomes, is this a good deal, or am I investing in older technology and missing out on the advancements and lack of wear and tear in a newer pair of Sopra 1's? I have to admit the Diablos are vey cool looking.. but that's just a "nice to have" feature....
The thing is, the Sopras are so massively over-built, I don't even know what the Diablos could do to top them. The weight is the same. The materials don't look enormously different. I doubt the performance is radically different. It would be hard to get a more neutral response from a passive loudspeaker.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
The thing is, the Sopras are so massively over-built, I don't even know what the Diablos could do to top them. The weight is the same. The materials don't look enormously different. I doubt the performance is radically different. It would be hard to get a more neutral response from a passive loudspeaker.
Pulled the trigger on a pair of Sopra 1s. Looking forward to,setting them up and moving the Focal Kanta No1s to the rear channels. So now I’ll have the exact same front 3 as you reviewed here, since I already have the Sopra Center, should be amazing!

Last edited:
D

DavidParis

Enthusiast
Hello all,
Also have a new pair of Sopra 1s currently being driven by Naim Supernait 2, HicapDR and ND5XS2 but not happy with the sound...The Sopras are replacing a pair of PMC 25.22i standmounts.

The "legend" about Naim and Focal being voiced together since the buyout is total nonsense to me or a large group of audio professionals are experiencing serious hearing problems. In my case atleast, the sound is anemic and lacking punch, emotion and perceived power reserve. Normally the Naim amplification is no slouch and PRaT and driving force are part of their house sound. I think the Sopra is presenting a difficult load to the amplifier in spite of electrical specs that would indicate a proper association.

Getting to the question...would any of you have first-hand experience with good amplification match with the Sopras? The rest of my system is optimized to the point where I cannot do much more. I'm convinced this is an electrical load/resistance requirement that is not being met currently. Dealer has suggested German Octave tune amplification and I have heard the Sopras driven by Unison Research Unico 90 integrated (hybrid design, triode preamp stage and SS output) - a much better match than the Naim but am wary of the Unison Research brand.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Brgds.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Hello all,
Also have a new pair of Sopra 1s currently being driven by Naim Supernait 2, HicapDR and ND5XS2 but not happy with the sound...The Sopras are replacing a pair of PMC 25.22i standmounts.

The "legend" about Naim and Focal being voiced together since the buyout is total nonsense to me or a large group of audio professionals are experiencing serious hearing problems. In my case atleast, the sound is anemic and lacking punch, emotion and perceived power reserve. Normally the Naim amplification is no slouch and PRaT and driving force are part of their house sound. I think the Sopra is presenting a difficult load to the amplifier in spite of electrical specs that would indicate a proper association.

Getting to the question...would any of you have first-hand experience with good amplification match with the Sopras? The rest of my system is optimized to the point where I cannot do much more. I'm convinced this is an electrical load/resistance requirement that is not being met currently. Dealer has suggested German Octave tune amplification and I have heard the Sopras driven by Unison Research Unico 90 integrated (hybrid design, triode preamp stage and SS output) - a much better match than the Naim but am wary of the Unison Research brand.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Brgds.
Interesting… in all of the research I did before purchasing the Sopra 1’s all I ever heard was how well that combo was supposed to be and how easy these speaker are to power.
I cannot comment on the amp you mention here, but I’ll be sure to share my experience powering my Sopras with my PS Audio M700 monoblocks (350WPC). I’m currently using these amps to power a pair of Focal Kanta No1s and they sound Excellent. I’ve also powered my Kantas with my Theta Dreadnaught amp (150WPC) with very good results.
I’ll be interested to hear what others who own these speakers are powering them with. The other amp I keep hearing positive reports on are the Macintosh amps..if you’re into that sort of thing…

D

DavidParis

Enthusiast
Interesting… in all of the research I did before purchasing the Sopra 1’s all I ever heard was how well that combo was supposed to be and how easy these speaker are to power.
I cannot comment on the amp you mention here, but I’ll be sure to share my experience powering my Sopras with my PS Audio M700 monoblocks (350WPC). I’m currently using these amps to power a pair of Focal Kanta No1s and they sound Excellent. I’ve also powered my Kantas with my Theta Dreadnaught amp (150WPC) with very good results.
I’ll be interested to hear what others who own these speakers are powering them with. The other amp I keep hearing positive reports on are the Macintosh amps..if you’re into that sort of thing…
Hi, thanks for the reply. The Naim/Sopra combo is listenable but my ears have definitely heard better marriages. The Unison Research was actually very good on the Sopras but I have some quibbles with the brand in general, their universal remote with super small buttons, lack of balance control...but gee whiz it sounded good on the Sopras. Power, punch and silky-smooth delivery was clean and involving. Not much PS Audio distribution here in Europe and the McIntosh brand seems to have some QC issues lately, notably with the hybrid 252 and 352. Then, they remain silly-expensive.

Have I understood correctly that you have the Sopras now or are you awaiting them? Do you have ample space available from the rear wall? I have found that the seemingly slim rear port does indeed produce some pressure to manage.
Thanks and brgds.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
I
Hi, thanks for the reply. The Naim/Sopra combo is listenable but my ears have definitely heard better marriages. The Unison Research was actually very good on the Sopras but I have some quibbles with the brand in general, their universal remote with super small buttons, lack of balance control...but gee whiz it sounded good on the Sopras. Power, punch and silky-smooth delivery was clean and involving. Not much PS Audio distribution here in Europe and the McIntosh brand seems to have some QC issues lately, notably with the hybrid 252 and 352. Then, they remain silly-expensive.

Have I understood correctly that you have the Sopras now or are you awaiting them? Do you have ample space available from the rear wall? I have found that the seemingly slim rear port does indeed produce some pressure to manage.
Thanks and brgds.
am awaiting the delivery of the Sopra 1s. I have about 1.5 feet of space between the back of the speakers (currently the Kanta 1s) and the front wall. I can pull the speakers forward if I need to.
im also using two JLAudio e110 subs in the front of my room, plus a 3rd sub at the rear of my 17’x17’ room. I have bass traps in the front wall corners and absorbers behind the front speakers as well.
i may remove the rear sub once I move the Kanta‘s to the rear corners Depending on room response.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Just looking into the Naim Supernait 2. Maybe it just simply not enough power at 80w to drive these speakers? I also wonder how the older Naim stuff compares to the newer stuff built and designed while under the same parent Co as Focal?

Was there some engineering done in the newer stuff that made the two work together more efficiently? Not sure, and I freely admit I know just enough about Naim to be dangerous.

D

DavidParis

Enthusiast
Just looking into the Naim Supernait 2. Maybe it just simply not enough power at 80w to drive these speakers? I also wonder how the older Naim stuff compares to the newer stuff built and designed while under the same parent Co as Focal?

Was there some engineering done in the newer stuff that made the two work together more efficiently? Not sure, and I freely admit I know just enough about Naim to be dangerous.
Hi, I've had Naim since 2013. Currently the system is full Naim except for the Sopras that I just acquired used, 1 year old. The SN2 is most assuredly not adapted to the Sopras and most likely to all the other Focal speakers. I can guarantee and certify, with more than 40 years of critical listening experience, that Naim and Focal were and still are a business marriage first and foremost. There are indeed myths and legends about some Focal lines being tuned on Naim electronics, but I'm convinced this is an imposed talking point between the 2 companies. Even the new Focal powered by Naim boutique stores popping up in select cities around the world are struggling to convince seasoned audiophiles, while the noobie can be impressed by a store demo of sexy and expensive boxes. Anyway...I heard my speakers on demo with another amp, hybrid design, producing more current and it left the Naim amp miles behind. I am still attempting to define a shortlist of known and proven amps that can drive the Sopras correctly. Then the nearly impossible task of home demo-ing will have to be tackled. Compatible amplification was basically the primary question I was asking here.
Are your speakers on the way? They are indeed some impressive looking equipment...Brgds.

Last edited:
H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I've had Naim since 2013. Currently the system is full Naim except for the Sopras that I just acquired used, 1 year old. The SN2 is most assuredly not adapted to the Sopras and most likely to all the other Focal speakers. I can guarantee and certify, with more than 40 years of critical listening experience, that Naim and Focal were and still are a business marriage first and foremost. There are indeed myths and legends about some Focal lines being tuned on Naim electronics, but I'm convinced this is an imposed talking point between the 2 companies. Even the new Focal powered by Naim boutique stores popping up in select cities around the world are struggling to convince seasoned audiophiles, while the noobie can be impressed by a store demo of sexy and expensive boxes. Anyway...I heard my speakers on demo with another amp, hybrid design, producing more current and it left the Naim amp miles behind. I am still attempting to define a shortlist of known and proven amps that can drive the Sopras correctly. Then the nearly impossible task of home demo-ing will have to be tackled. Compatible amplification was basically the primary question I was asking here.
Are your speakers on the way? They are indeed some impressive looking equipment...Brgds.
Speaker delivery tomorrow! I’m looking forward to trying the PS Audio m700 and the Theta amps to see which is the best match. My money is on the PS Audio…

I’ll be sure to report back here…

D

DavidParis

Enthusiast
Well, it's a done deal for me. The Sopra 1s are a major disappointment as they simply do not work in my room. Looks like I'll be losing lots of money again as they go up for sale. Hope yours work out better. Brgds.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it's a done deal for me. The Sopra 1s are a major disappointment as they simply do not work in my room. Looks like I'll be losing lots of money again as they go up for sale. Hope yours work out better. Brgds.
Perhaps choose a dealer with a good return policy?

D

DavidParis

Enthusiast
Perhaps choose a dealer with a good return policy?
I own the speakers already. Totally not recommended for a 4mx8mx2.5m room. These are extremely difficult to sell on the used market, and now I understand why.
Thanks.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I own the speakers already. Totally not recommended for a 4mx8mx2.5m room. These are extremely difficult to sell on the used market, and now I understand why.
Thanks.
My comment about chosing a dealer with good return policy was towards your "losing lots of money again". Sometimes, otherwise excellent, speakers just does not work out for you.

D

DavidParis

Enthusiast
My comment about chosing a dealer with good return policy was towards your "losing lots of money again". Sometimes, otherwise excellent, speakers just does not work out for you.
Yes, understood but these were bought used from a somewhat crooked first-hand, private owner after a 3 hour home demo in my room/electronics. Guess I didn't hear then what I hear now because if I did I never would've bought them. It is indeed quite pitiful if even a home demo is no guarantee of avoiding massive mistakes. Granted, these speakers are beautifully made and are quite impressive in terms of technical implementation. However, as bass reflex speakers, the dependence on room acoustics compatibility is perhaps even more paramount. For a speaker that is reputed by Focal to be down 6dB at 41hz and 3dB at 47hz I can certify that in my room, which isn't tiny, the REW measurements of FR <100hz are so "off the chart" I have to massively adjust the chart limits in REW just to see the curve. Imagine what that sounds like...I'll give you a clue; it sounds like Satan.
Brgds.

PS: Very impressive room treatment you've done! Happy with the GIK products?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis