Denon8500 vs Anthem1140

B

Bill_C

Audiophyte
Hello,
Pairing with a GoldenEar 7.2 setup, including Triton 2+, room size about 14x24, comparing Anthem1140 to Denon8500. Given the delays of Anthem is it worth the wait? I would like opinions of the Denon.
Bill_C

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Denon AVR-X8500H 13.2CH IMAX Enhanced AV Receiver Review | Audioholics
The newer X8500HA has the newer board with link below for explanation.

AVR-X8500H HDMI 8K Upgrade The Denon HDMI 8K Upgrade enables the latest HDMI specifications on your beloved AVR-X8500H including 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz pass-through capabilities to achieve your flagship home entertainment aspirations. AV Receivers | Denon

Anthem 1140
Anthem Releases New 7 CH, 11 CH, & 15 CH AVM A/V Processors and MRX Receivers | Audioholics
Also new 1140 revised AVR with updated HDMI board, should be available 3rd/4th qtr. May want to contact them.

My only comment is, I have owned and operated 3 Denon AVR's over the past 12 years and all 3 are still functioning. The very first one was sold to a friend, for set-up in his garage for music. It is still good.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would take the Denon, no brainer really. If you don't need 8K, the 8500 is good and you should be able to negotiate the price down to close to $3,000 or less for a new one. Otherwise you should go for the 8K ready model that Teetertotter mentioned. Anthem followers may think that AARC is better than Audyssey, I would probably believe that before D+M launched the Editor App. Now that people can use the App, I do not believe AARC is better. Even if it is, for advanced users, there shouldn't be any audible difference, all else being equal. This is just my opinion, but I do have some basis.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd take the Denon myself.

What "pairing" tho? It's not wine and food. :)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Double check what HDMI processor is used in the 8500HA...
The later ADI processor is preferred.
Denon has been very secretive about their HDMI 2.1 performance specifications after their previous HDMI 2.1 debacle..

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Double check what HDMI processor is used in the 8500HA...
The later ADI processor is preferred.
Denon has been very secretive about their HDMI 2.1 performance specifications after their previous HDMI 2.1 debacle..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Then Anthem incorporates this later ADI processor?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello,
Pairing with a GoldenEar 7.2 setup, including Triton 2+, room size about 14x24, comparing Anthem1140 to Denon8500. Given the delays of Anthem is it worth the wait? I would like opinions of the Denon.
Bill_C
If you’re asking if the Anthem sounds better, the answer is no.

But as with speakers, subs, and everything else, opinions are all over creation. :D

The X8500HA should be shipping mid-July.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you’re asking if the Anthem sounds better, the answer is no.

But as with speakers, subs, and everything else, opinions are all over creation. :D

The X8500HA should be shipping mid-July.
No excuse not to use the latest bug free HDMI board then..

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Yes, Denon has been very secretive on HDMI 2.1 error, which effects latest gaming boxes. My TV is 4K with HDMI 2.0 and I am not a gamer or in that... 5%, needing 8K? I did order Denon's Free HDMI Adapter KIT for 8K gaming, out of spite, last week. Confirmation said I would receive notification in 7-10 days. I suppose that means, when the kit will ship??

Denon DID come up with a solution for those 2020 released models. I learned about it here on audioholics.com, which is the BEST.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
To date the comments on the Denon single HDMI port box have been mixed...
Now they are talking about a multi-port HDMI box. After 8 months, Denon has said very little about what the box fixes... We sold/installed some of the Denon AVRs with the HDMI 2.1 problem, and some customers were given $$ refunds. A later, replacement HDMI processor IC has been released which apparently fixes some of the issues, but are in short supply due to the IC shortages. But to date no mention by Denon of providing a retro board FIX..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@M Code Where are you reading Denon is working on a multi-port box? Who do you represent that you sold and installed some of Denon's AVR's? The only retro board on Denon's website, is for the X8500 for $599.00. But the X8500HA model is advertised on Denon's website along with the replacement HDMI board. Can you verify some customers received cash refunds and amounts and how it was handled?

It would be nice if someone could respond/confirm if the Denon Kit is the solution to work with the newer Play Stations and Xboxes. I wonder if the you have to have an 8K tv with HDMI 2.1, for the game boxes to work, if using an AVR or not. Anyone have info?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
@M Code Where are you reading Denon is working on a multi-port box? Who do you represent that you sold and installed some of Denon's AVR's? The only retro board on Denon's website, is for the X8500 for $599.00. But the X8500HA model is advertised on Denon's website along with the replacement HDMI board. Can you verify some customers received cash refunds and amounts and how it was handled?

It would be nice if someone could respond/confirm if the Denon Kit is the solution to work with the newer Play Stations and Xboxes. I wonder if the you have to have an 8K tv with HDMI 2.1, for the game boxes to work, if using an AVR or not. Anyone have info?
Most of my information come from sources outside of Denon....
Unfortunately..
Denon made a big push for HDMI 2.1 AVRs but failed to validate any HDMI 2.1 performance specifications.....
:mad::mad:

X-Box 1 and PS5 have HDMI 2.1 output capability and many game users purchased the Denon HDMI 2.1 AVRs as to get the promised upgrade capability for bandwidth and resolution. After 7 months of saying nothing about a fix and/or corrective action Denon announced the single HDMI port adapter box. But still are not saying exactly what HDMI 2.1 issues it fixes.
Being a CEDIA AV seller/installer we sold some of the Denon HDMI 2.1 AVRs, but was caught in the middle of users complaining about the lack of HDMI 2.1 performance and Denon saying nothing. For certain users we refunded some $$ and exchanged some Denon AVRs, the AVRs were returned to our distributor for credit. This story continues as it is up to Denon to provide an acceptable solution that should include replacement, updated HDMI boards to be retroed into customer's units. This solution should also include prepaid shipping costs to/from their service centers. As of now we have not received any further confirmation from Denon. In my opinion, I am very disappointed about their lack of support but I will hold back on making any further public rant...
I just hope that the executive management of Denon addresses this marketing dilemma in an equitable, satisfactory way.

Just my $0.02... ;).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most of my information come from sources outside of Denon....
Unfortunately..
Denon made a big push for HDMI 2.1 AVRs but failed to validate any HDMI 2.1 performance specifications.....
:mad::mad:

X-Box 1 and PS5 have HDMI 2.1 output capability and many game users purchased the Denon HDMI 2.1 AVRs as to get the promised upgrade capability for bandwidth and resolution. After 7 months of saying nothing about a fix and/or corrective action Denon announced the single HDMI port adapter box. But still are not saying exactly what HDMI 2.1 issues it fixes.
Being a CEDIA AV seller/installer we sold some of the Denon HDMI 2.1 AVRs, but was caught in the middle of users complaining about the lack of HDMI 2.1 performance and Denon saying nothing. For certain users we refunded some $$ and exchanged some Denon AVRs, the AVRs were returned to our distributor for credit. This story continues as it is up to Denon to provide an acceptable solution that should include replacement, updated HDMI boards to be retroed into customer's units. This solution should also include prepaid shipping costs to/from their service centers. As of now we have not received any further confirmation from Denon. In my opinion, I am very disappointed about their lack of support but I will hold back on making any further public rant...
I just hope that the executive management of Denon addresses this marketing dilemma in an equitable, satisfactory way.

Just my $0.02... ;).
Do you have any information on which HDMI 2.1 chip is being used in the Yamaha A8A and A6A?

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@M Code, Ya, and probably only represents 2% of the market that needs 2.1 to support the new game boxes, I think most need an AVR for 5.1, 7.1 and more.....IMO. LIke the car mfgs when time for a recall of some sort due to complaints. The AVR mfgs don't have that kind of money to perform a recall and will take a few complaints that do come through?? Like offer the free box in Denon's and Marantz case, which will probably be very few. IMO. They will just wait for the HA models to come out like others.

I read that Yamaha is working on software for those that have the 2020 models. I think they have had 6 months and nothing, which means, the processor/component is non programable?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
@M Code, Ya, and probably only represents 2% of the market that needs 2.1 to support the new game boxes, I think most need an AVR for 5.1, 7.1 and more.....IMO. LIke the car mfgs when time for a recall of some sort due to complaints. The AVR mfgs don't have that kind of money to perform a recall and will take a few complaints that do come through?? Like offer the free box in Denon's and Marantz case, which will probably be very few. IMO. They will just wait for the HA models to come out like others.

I read that Yamaha is working on software for those that have the 2020 models. I think they have had 6 months and nothing, which means, the processor/component is non programable?
IMHO...
Denon needs to step up and cover for this debacle..
If a bankrupt brand like Onkyo can step up and replace 000s of HDMI boards, Denon should follow....
My opinion is quite simple, Denon advertised its AVRs as HDMI 2.1 but they were not. In a certain legal sense this is false advertising, bordering on fraud. Denon had the chance to become the #1 AVR brand if they had provided an orderly, worthy response to this debacle. Instead they kept silent for 7 months, while the users did their beta testing...

Regarding Yamaha, this is another discussion but note they are providing retro updated HDMI boards. .

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis