Adding an external tweeter?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And, yes I could tell the diff. The AVR with 2 channel needed a subwoofer. The Kenwood does not. You probably say it's in the settings. Nope. The AVR is not that awesome for 2 channel sound. It sounded good. But the Kenwood is great, even beyond great.
If that's true I'd return the avr. There absolutely shouldn't be any major audible differences. You mighta got a lemon.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
All well designed amps should sound the same, provided that they operate within their respective limits.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
They don't.
You don't seem to know much about audio. You should read what the members here say before trying to argue based on what you read on the web and hear from anybody without experience and knowledge in high fidelity reproduction.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Anyone that thinks all amps sound the same have zero clue.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Of course all amps don't sound the same.

Just the ones that are properly designed, properly functioning (not broken or out of spec), and are operating within their limits.

But there are plenty of defective ones for one reason or another.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
So lame. So all amps if they are working like they were designed all sound alike. Is this the kiddie audio forum? And where to go to have people denigrate my set-up?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You came here and displayed your setup for criticism, and now your knowledge in general.....keep going, I've got the popcorn out. So far you seem to be the "kiddie" here.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
The guy who starts a thread asking whether he should add an external tweeter to improve voice intelligibility is just too smart for all of us.

God speed, I hope you find a forum worthy of your knowledge.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
They are pretty much even. Here is a new photo. Set-up looks different now. TLS Guy, couple things. No way could I move things wider, as the hallway is just to the right of my right speakers. I live in a mobile home mansion. The small speakers are rebuilt Minimus 77's with metal cone 5" woofers and M&K tweeters. Those are now my HT Mains. The right "stack" is just a pedestal. I bolted those two radio shack speakers together as a pedestal. They are not hooked up. I don't know or care if they work. I ran a single long wood screw through the table into the bottom one, so the stack swivels as necessary. Double face tape under the Minimus 77. The Klipsch Forte II's are no longer part of the HT. They are hooked up to the Kenwood KA-7100 amp.
But, I did turn up the center on the AVR and I am pretty sure it solved the issue. I did not think of that, so thanks Lovin for that advise!
TLS guy, sorry but it's far from a horror show.
I would try phantom channel until or unless you find matching identical front speakers used . Or greatly bump up volume on center
.. could add 10 tweeters won’t fix the mis match
Use your best speakers for ht and music , this is two systems ?
Looks like a catastrophe

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone that thinks all amps sound the same have zero clue.
Wow, lol. Did you read any articles or other threads before you started posting here? This is a science based, no nonsense forum and it's pretty much just a fact as a general rule. This site's bread and butter is debunking claims like that, lol.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Wow, lol. Did you read any articles or other threads before you started posting here? This is a science based, no nonsense forum and it's pretty much just a fact as a general rule. This site's bread and butter is debunking claims like that, lol.
Case in point you know I run carver tfm-35 x amps if you look at my rig for easy wiring purposes I set this up as a true left and right meaning I run the front left main and the left surround of one amp and the same with the right side . Same with the center it’s on its own amp . So in this guy’s theory every speaker should sound different and it would never calabrate or sound right in my set up lol !

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
You guys were correct as usual. I bought a Marantz SR-5014 and it sounds as good with LP's (actually better) than the Kenwood. With the SR-5014, I set my mains to large, with the Yam, they were set to small with the Forte II's and I suspect that may have been the reason that I didn't get much low end playing in pure 2 channel. Anyway, I am back to a nice clean single set up with Klipsch's across the front. Center speaker is very clear now. I am using hdmi arc, where before I used an optical cable. Also, I can hear my heights like NEVER before. So that is awesome. Beginning to learn to live with hdmi now. I don't appreciate how it takes over so much control of the AVR though, but whatever. I have the Yamaha AVR and the Kenwood up for sale. Some folks will get a good deal on good amps. They are fine units, not as good as the Marantz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You guys were correct as usual. I bought a Marantz SR-5014 and it sounds as good with LP's (actually better) than the Kenwood. With the SR-5014, I set my mains to large, with the Yam, they were set to small with the Forte II's and I suspect that may have been the reason that I didn't get much low end playing in pure 2 channel. Anyway, I am back to a nice clean single set up with Klipsch's across the front. Center speaker is very clear now. I am using hdmi arc, where before I used an optical cable. Also, I can hear my heights like NEVER before. So that is awesome. Beginning to learn to live with hdmi now. I don't appreciate how it takes over so much control of the AVR though, but whatever. I have the Yamaha AVR and the Kenwood up for sale. Some folks will get a good deal on good amps. They are fine units, not as good as the Marantz.
Squish, I give you credit for coming back and honestly acknowledging that we may have been right all along. Not a lot of folks would be willing to do that. Good on you. Glad you're happy with the Marantz, it's a good receiver.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Squish, I give you credit for coming back and honestly acknowledging that we may have been right all along. Not a lot of folks would be willing to do that. Good on you. Glad you're happy with the Marantz, it's a good receiver.
Thx Pog!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis