Looking for some advice on new speakers for a 2 channel setup

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Budget: $2K to $2.5K
Room: Large open area. Seating maybe 12 ft from speaker location.
Current setup for 2 channel: Yamaha WCX-50 for streaming (network, usb and wifi), Oppo for cd. XTZ Edge A-200 for power. Monolith 10" ported for subwoofer.

Speakers will be located on either side of a large fireplace. Plenty of room between the speakers and wall. MLP will be directly in front of and between the two speakers at approximately 10 feet.

Been looking at the Salk Songtowers. Would also consider a good bookshelf and stands. No place anywhere close to audition any speakers.

Currently running Infinity RSII's with the sub and they sound great. Just wanting to lower the physical footprint a bit.

I listen to mostly jazz and classical. Bit I do listen to just about everything out there with a few exceptions.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I am very partial to my Paradigm 800F Premier speakers. For what they are they are an excellent speaker. I have auditioned the new Paradigm Founders series which may be out of your price point with the 80F, 70LCR and the 40B (I own the last). All are excellent, although with the 40B's they still benefit from a good subwoofer. The 70LCR and the 80F are out of your price point, but both speakers are absolutely stunning in sound quality as well. The 40B speakers IMHO are better than my Paradigm 800F. But the 800F has a wider dynamic range.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I am very partial to my Paradigm 800F Premier speakers. For what they are they are an excellent speaker. I have auditioned the new Paradigm Founders series which may be out of your price point with the 80F, 70LCR and the 40B (I own the last). All are excellent, although with the 40B's they still benefit from a good subwoofer. The 70LCR and the 80F are out of your price point, but both speakers are absolutely stunning in sound quality as well. The 40B speakers IMHO are better than my Paradigm 800F. But the 800F has a wider dynamic range.
Thank you. I will look into those you mentioned as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like your idea of Salk (or maybe Philharmonic?) and doubt any audition would be necessary, at least I wouldn't worry about such, but you could ask Salk if there are any owners willing to demo for you in your area....

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I like your idea of Salk (or maybe Philharmonic?) and doubt any audition would be necessary, at least I wouldn't worry about such, but you could ask Salk if there are any owners willing to demo for you in your area....
I forgot to mention Philharmonic. Thanks for the reminder. Also a great idea to reach out to to Salk for a possible demo. Thank you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I personally don't think it's necessary to audition any speaker because I've owned and listened to many speakers in the past. And many good speakers are more alike than different

But if you haven't auditioned many speakers, I think it's necessary to audition as many speakers as possible. That way when you hear people say "this speaker differs from that speaker" or "this speaker is better than that speaker", you will have a much better idea of why they say those things. :D

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
In addition to the Salk, a nice used set of Dynaudio Excite X-38 or Focal Aria 926 might do pretty well. Or, even Excite X-44. I recently found a mint used set of X-44 for $2,500.

Last edited:
nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I have owned many different makes over the years. JBL, KEF, Mission, Paradigm, Acustat, Infinity, Magnepan, KLH, Klipsch, Martin Logan and many more.

I think I have narrowed it down to Salk, Philharmonic, Focal and maybe Ascend. Unfortunately these are some that I have yet to hear in person. But they all seem to get some praise from the community.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even among brands there are differences among different lines....but I think you can find some very good stuff with your Salk, Philharmonic, Focal and Ascend possibilities, but will depend on model/room etc. I just wouldn't put too much in the brand alone.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Even among brands there are differences among different lines....but I think you can find some very good stuff with your Salk, Philharmonic, Focal and Ascend possibilities, but will depend on model/room etc. I just wouldn't put too much in the brand alone.
Agreed. The Salk, along with the others mentioned, seem to lumped together with the "sound" descriptions I have read. Detail is what I am looking for in the 2 channel realm. And with it being in the main room, asethetics is important. I am really digging the cabinets with the Salk lines.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. The Salk, along with the others mentioned, seem to lumped together with the "sound" descriptions I have read. Detail is what I am looking for in the 2 channel realm. And with it being in the main room, asethetics is important. I am really digging the cabinets with the Salk lines.

I'd generally think of Salk as very well designed speakers (with Dennis' help from Philharmonic of course) as well excellent cabinet building. I can't say I've ever seen a comment from someone dissatisfied with such....

As was said many speakers only yield very slight differences, hard to know what you'd prefer, too.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

It's hard to argue against the Salk or Philharmonic speakers when you see how incredibly flat the response curve is on them. I'm tempted to go that route as well. The finish on the Salks is gorgeous. Where you'll likely notice the difference is in the various tweeters used. The ribbons will sound different from the soft domes. The Songtowers have the soft dome, while the Philharmonitors have the RAAL ribbon. Would be ideal to hear both.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Yeah. I am thinking to stay in the Salk family. And may have to up the budget a bit more. Now looking hard at the SongTower 2 and Song 3.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hard to go wrong with Salk. They sound even better than they look.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis