Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a reasonable price for a pair of used speakers - typically 40-50% of retail.

Again, when I talk about "crazy deals" (and how difficult they are to find), it's more like scoring a pair of those for $20.
I hear ya, but $600 for those is more than 50% off. For those speakers it's a steal.

I find cool stuff in the 100 dollar range quite often. Check the search in my area once.

It changes almost daily too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Again, when I talk about "crazy deals" (and how difficult they are to find), it's more like scoring a pair of those for $20.
Wait, what? It's not a crazy good deal until I find $1500 speakers for $20?? Damn dude, just give up now, lol.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Wait, what? It's not a crazy good deal until I find $1500 speakers for $20?? Damn dude, just give up now, lol.
Believe me, I know a lot of people who, back before the rise of eBay as a used pricing catalog, scored those kinds of insane deals from people who, for example, inherited stuff they had no clue about, or the legendary scorned housewife sales, etc.

It just doesn't happen very much anymore.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Believe me, I know a lot of people who, back before the rise of eBay as a used pricing catalog, scored those kinds of insane deals from people who, for example, inherited stuff they had no clue about, or the legendary scorned housewife sales, etc.

Well... I'd argue deals like that have always been rare. I also found these KEF C75s for $30.

449.jpeg
450.jpeg
447.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now that is a score.
I find 'em all the time. By that I mean once a month or so out of the thousand plus speakers that are available at any given time on craigslist I'll find ONE good deal like that. So relatively rare, yes, but still out there. Just gotta put the time into looking.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone familiar with Acoustic Research? I found these for a hundred bucks. They look pretty nice. I guess that's an actual phase plug on the woofers. Never heard of them before tho.

00808_eVWFMHg7vkvz_0D50tj_1200x900.jpg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
AR (Acoustic Research) was one of the "BIG" names in speakers in years gone by. Their claim to fame is primarily the acoustic suspension speaker system ( a sealed cabinet) as I think they held the original patent. One of their founders left and started KLH. Like almost all of the "name" OEMs, they were bought and sold numerous times, and I really doubt if any of the original DNA exists anymore. I did a quick search and found this reference from 2007 on the ARXP62s:

"J&R has the bookshelf Acoustic Research ARXP62 speakers on sale for $99 a pair, marked down from more than $400 pr. This includes a 6 1/2" aluminum woofer and a tweeter."

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
That's a reasonable price for a pair of used speakers - typically 40-50% of retail.

Thing is, and we talked about this earlier.. Wishful thinking prices abound here.. There's a real audiophile community here, and with that comes high prices..Phoenix is kind of unique in this respect.. I'm sure other huge cities have this issue, but there aren't many huge towns where the population is still 20% rich folks ( mostly because of artificially high real estate prices)..

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
AR (Acoustic Research) was one of the "BIG" names in speakers in years gone by. Their claim to fame is primarily the acoustic suspension speaker system ( a sealed cabinet) as I think they held the original patent. One of their founders left and started KLH. Like almost all of the "name" OEMs, they were bought and sold numerous times, and I really doubt if any of the original DNA exists anymore. I did a quick search and found this reference from 2007 on the ARXP62s:

"J&R has the bookshelf Acoustic Research ARXP62 speakers on sale for $99 a pair, marked down from more than $400 pr. This includes a 6 1/2" aluminum woofer and a tweeter."
Yeah, once Jensen got hold of them in 89 it was pretty much over.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

A few years ago I was seeing people scoring some legendary deals via thrifts/goodwill type places but seems they smartened up and charge more now. Craigslist is more a place where people will ask too much :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Saw these today. Only got the great condition Dell PC Monitor with HDMI connection 1080p to see if I can resell it on Craigslist for a profit. The Klipch looked great, but some bruises on the box.
Tape deck was nice, but not for $29. The entertainment center stand was $25. Really wanted it. No room though. :( The Bostons would make a nice atmos heights for sure, but alas don't need em. Yammy nice don't need it.
IMG_17052021_153342_(2300_x_1294_pixel).jpg
IMG_17052021_153417_(1294_x_2300_pixel).jpg
IMG_17052021_153447_(1294_x_2300_pixel).jpg
IMG_17052021_153511_(2300_x_1294_pixel).jpg
IMG_17052021_153536_(2300_x_1294_pixel).jpg
IMG_17052021_153602_(2300_x_1294_pixel).jpg
IMG_17052021_153619_(2300_x_1294_pixel).jpg

That's all folks. I know you guys were anticipating a return. :D

Last edited:
J

Jerkface

Audioholic
A few years ago I was seeing people scoring some legendary deals via thrifts/goodwill type places but seems they smartened up and charge more now. Craigslist is more a place where people will ask too much :)
What I see quite a lot in thrift stores is mid-fi older HT receivers for dirt. In fact, there was a 7.1 Onkyo TX-something and a Denon (can't remember the model) sitting in a pile in one such place I went to a few weeks back. 20 bucks each.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Saw these today. Only got the great condition Dell PC Monitor with HDMI connection 1080p to see if I can resell it on Craigslist for a profit. The Klipch looked great, but some bruises on the box. Tape deck was nice, but not for $29. The entertainment center stand was $25. Really wanted it. No room though. :( The Bostons would make a nice atmos, but alas don't need em. Yammy nice don't need it.
View attachment 47713View attachment 47714View attachment 47715View attachment 47716View attachment 47717View attachment 47718View attachment 47719
That's all folks. I know you guys were anticipating a return. :D
Those Klipsch do look pretty nice. Drivers are in great shape.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those Klipsch do look pretty nice. Drivers are in great shape.
They were It was very tempting, but left in a hurry. :p They need good ampage for them to shine they say in reviews I added above.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They were It was very tempting, but left in a hurry. :p They need good ampage for them to shine they say in reviews I added above.
that is the KG series Klipsch, overall decent/nice, but a little too edgy sounding for me ... the Yamaha is a decent/nice receiver

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
that is the KG series Klipsch, overall decent/nice, but a little too edgy sounding for me ... the Yamaha is a decent/nice receiver
Believe me I was tempted by the price on the KG. Haha I'm running out of room. Yep the Yammy is nice, but got two already. Not same model though. I should have gotten the Boston since they are small and a good backup option for atmos. Oh well let's see if the Dell sells after a good cleaning.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis