Vintage loud speaker help.

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
Hi all,
Obviously my first post and I know that most people wouldn't tend to use vintage loud speakers with there home theatre system, but I'm into the old school stuff to go with my mid century decor.

I recently found these cheap and purchased them but have no idea who made them.

I was wondering if anyone has come across these before and if they would be suitable for use in a home theatre system as my fronts.

Have a look and any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks for looking at my post and hope to become a respected member of your community.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
No pictures showed up.

Can you tell us what they are?

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
Hi, thanks for the reply its saying the file is to large I did compress and zip them!
What's the file size limit?
In regards to make i have no idea no Mark's or labels on the back.
All at has on the front is an old English font B.
Thanks again.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
That appears to be a custom job. Looks like somebody took the front baffle of some 70's speakers (Sansui perhaps) and built a piece of furniture around it so it would match the living room.

If you like the sound, there's no reason to not use them, music-wise. But it'll be next to impossible to timbre match them up with a center channel since they predate 5.1 surround sound. You can try getting a center that you like and level-match so the sound is balanced.

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
Right ok, thanks for the help.
I thought they might have been dynatron based on the cabinet.
But what you are saying makes a lot of sense.
I was expecting to see a radio gram with them to but they were hooked up to b&o kit which I also snagged.

Maybe best to leave them with the hifi then?
Is it even worth me attempting to match kit like that to av equipment?

Thanks for your advice.

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
I assume they would have little value if I tried to resell them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know what you even have particularly. Maybe if you took the drivers out of the cabinet and photographed them and their markings might have a better idea of what you have. I think Kvn may have nailed it with DIY as I have never seen a speaker quite like that but then I can't say I've seen all the speakers out there (but have been interested in them since the early 70s when I first got "into" it. Why do you say its vintage....you mean just old? What characteristics of the speakers themselves are you looking for audio-wise (aside from a "look" of the cabinetry)?

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
Hi again thanks for the reply, well I would like to take them apart, but they seem to be tacked and not screwed so would require work to put them back together.
I was told they were purchased around the early 70's as the person I acquired them from remembers them from her child hood growing up.
Its was paired up with some b&o equipment from the late 70's.
So it kind of makes sense to me.

As for sound I just want nice clear vocals with good midrange that won't overlap.

The main driver looks to be around 10" and was concerned it would be produce to much bass.

I am new to this stuff so all the help is much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What makes sense about using these speakers with B&O gear? B&O was known in the 70s for modern design, not something that looks like something from grandma's boudoir :) I think you may have some misconceptions about "vintage" audio.

You want a good speaker, that's what we all would like :) How many drivers does this speaker have? 2 ? 3? The woofer size doesn't necessarily mean it would have excessive bass. Hopefully the speaker designer took the whole frequency range in mind and developed a proper crossover for the drivers and cabinet design involved for a good overall response.

Having grown up and started my audio journey in the early 70s myself, I'd rather have newer speakers generally. There were a few back then that could be considered "vintage" (i.e. like this definition "of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : classic" (Mirriam Webster). Hard to know where to place your speakers on other than the photo of the front, which isn't much to go on....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cabinets look very similar.
Superficially perhaps. Speaker cabinet otherwise is more about the specifics of the cabinet's dimensions and construction to the drivers/crossover utilized. How about a pic with the grille removed?

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
Lol , I am an 80's child and am into the grandmas boudoir stuff.
All my friends take the right p$#@ everytime they come round and tells me it looks like me mums house growing up lol.
The speakers have 3 speakers in them.
1 x 10" 1 x 4" and 1 tweeter.

Yes the b&o stuff is drastically more modern in design than these.
You guys probably think I'm doing this the wrong way round lol.
I will try takes some more detailed close up pics for you guys to analyse.

And again all the feedback is most appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 4" is likely a mid-range driver. Perhaps you're a good candidate for a modern speaker in a cabinet that looks the way you want via a DIY project ?

Buying a speaker by the way it looks only might leave you with a poor sounding speaker. So how do these sound if you insert them as your L/R speakers with your current setup?

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
Well you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly why I purchased the speakers.
I was more interested in the aesthetic than the quality.
I guess I will just see how they sound when I have them hooked up.
School boy error Lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Preference is hard to judge over the internet :) You may like 'em, you may not....one way to find out. If you like them no worries!

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
I shall still undertake more research and find out what they are comprised of.
As you stated they could have some nice mordern components and be very suitable for use.
All the feedback and clear wealth of knowledge from the community is clear that is for sure!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ahh ha pic uploaded.
If you are in the UK, they could well be Dynatron.

1620859419280.jpeg

There used to be firms like Dynatron that made a lot of really dreadful speakers in fancy cabinets back then.

They used to bravely turn up to the Audio Fair at Hotel Russel, and we would all turn up and have huge fun the right piss out of the company reps. It was a sport many engaged in. As I child I loved it and joined in the sport!

S

Spacemonkey82

Enthusiast
If you are in the UK, they could well be Dynatron.

View attachment 47511

There used to be firms like Dynatron that made a lot of really dreadful speakers in fancy cabinets back then.

They used to bravely turn up to the Audio Fair at Hotel Russel, and we would all turn up and have huge fun the right piss out of the company reps. It was a sport many engaged in. As I child I loved it and joined in the sport!
Lol, yup uk based.
Looks like a naughty a couple of lemons then.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis