Audiophile Cable Synergy: Real or Snake Oil?

Is Cable Synergy Real?

• Yes. Cables make or break the sound of a system.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • No. Cable Synergy is snake oil.

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • I go wireless, no cables.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Yes if you know what prat is it might be surprising (and appropriate) to find it is an audiophool favorite....Pace, Rhythm and Timing. :)
Uh... those are all basically the same thing. At least from a musician's perspective. So yeah, I guess it's wildly appropo to condense them into that acronym when someone uses them to describe a cable. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Uh... those are all basically the same thing. At least from a musician's perspective. So yeah, I guess it's wildly appropo to condense them into that acronym when someone uses them to describe a cable. :D
LOL and meaningless. However many "serious" audio mags/blogs still propagate this nonsense.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
LOL and meaningless. However many "serious" audio mags/blogs still propagate this nonsense.
Well, they're not meaningless when you're in a rehearsal room. But they definitely are when describing audio gear. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, they're not meaningless when you're in a rehearsal room. But they definitely are when describing audio gear. :D
Yes that could be a thing, the audio reviewer-like descriptions just are funny more than anything else. But so many will go for that nonsense, weird.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
It just so happens that I've developed special speaker cables that cure tinnitus by adding special high frequency signals that phase-cancel the ringing in your ears!

And they can be yours for the paltry sum of $5K per foot! Make sure you mention the specific pitch of your ear-ringing when you order, so we can tune the cables to your ears! ;)
What if you could see an audiologist and they test you to find out the frequency of your tinnitus. Then develop noise canceling hearing aids that play that frequency. The only problem I see is tinnitus is nerve damage and not actually sound waves, still it may be possible based on how your brain interprets the sound.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I admit that I have tested audioquest HDMI cables. To be had, the $30 6 foot 8K certified from Microcenter (QVS) were just as good as the one $100 audioquest cable. Never again. And that was before I found this forum. If you need or want another brand that is fully tested and certified get the ones from Kordz. Hard to find in the USA but you can find them. I like what I hear of the quality of Blue Jeans Cable and Benchmark Media also sells cables of high quality for not outrageous cost, and the Benchmark Cables are used for reference level audio and are way cheaper than Audioquest silver snot.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes if you know what prat is it might be surprising (and appropriate) to find it is an audiophool favorite....Pace, Rhythm and Timing. :)
Maybe someone should develop a cable laxative, to relieve........never mind

C

cutedaddy

Audioholic Intern
Funny how McGowan beats around the bush and even states things proven untrue.
A shame, but probably he has more audiophool clients than professional clients, so this is just his undeniable financial interest speaking.

Also funny how he acts as if really dependable tests don't exist.
Even though every well conducted test, by professional and scientific methods and personnel, time and again proves the same:

What measures best is also always judged as best by large and mixed listening panels.
Preferences for a sought after difference in sound quality turn out to be random. Every time.

This objective evidence can be found in many white papers and other scientific, peer reviewed publications.
People who want to believe otherwise should be left to their devices, more or less like religious fanatics should.

Although sometimes the behaviour of marketeers must be deemed criminal.
When money is charged for claims that have been proven untrue for instance.

Like teaching audiophools that cables behave like diodes and then charge money for that property.
That is called cheating or a scam and is not actually legal: one could sue them for it.

A judge would have no choice but to go with the acredited and certified scientific witnesses proving the defendant wrong.

But it still wouldn't stop the debate!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Umm, just yesterday at a Exxon/Mobil gas station, there is in big letters, Synergy right under the Exxon/Mobil sign and on each fuel pump . Synergy can be had in your gas tank!! Lol. It's a marketing gimmick, on the unsuspecting consumer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Umm, just yesterday at a Exxon/Mobil gas station, there is in big letters, Synergy right under the Exxon/Mobil sign and on each fuel pump . Synergy can be had in your gas tank!! Lol. It's a marketing gimmick, on the unsuspecting consumer.
Synergy is basically more additives to drive up the cost as if they did something beneficial. I think it has been around for a little while. They would like you to believe your global warming is cleaner.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I always figured much "synergy" in audio was simply due level differences....

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Funny how McGowan beats around the bush and even states things proven untrue.
A shame, but probably he has more audiophool clients than professional clients, so this is just his undeniable financial interest speaking.
You'll find a lot of his clients are professionals. I have no idea about "professional clients", what does that mean?
Wilson is the same way along with several Boutique speaker manufactures. They suggest amps, speaker and ICs that work.

I can't see how it's one brand. Unless they only test one brand. I've found it's always the construction and the quality of cable assembly as a
whole. Terminal ends are the big blooper with most. Crappy selection of material. Brass, Rhodium, nickel, brass/gold clad, they suck.

Most solder monkeys wouldn't know what a mechanical connection is. Spreading lead is easy, that is not the single purpose of solder.
It is to HOLD a sound mechanical connection together and seal the connection from outside contaminants. Shrink or electrical tape is
for insulation from electrical shock, BUT more so for solder contamination and looks in most stereo application.
I pressure weld if I can, I use a 30 ton press. 2000 graphite dust and 2000 diamond dust, great contact enhancer. 100.00 a gallon. It will last
you and all your buddies 1000 years. Don't snort the graphite.

Has Anyone tried a pinwheel construction on speaker, IC or power cables? Sure are a PITA to make with my crippled fingers and bad attitude.
I'm nosey as all heck. I want to try a couple but 2500.00-15k is gonna happen like a brand new trophy wife from the middle east.
You have to get SIX to have a full set of teeth (in my price range), there lies the problem. I'm tight, I'll make my own cable.

In the case of a "Trophy Wife" I'll spend the money on the old one and use O2 bags instead just plain paper. You have to be creative. Now for
an off on switch.

Last edited:
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
My experience with power components, including cables, is summarized nicely by Danny from GR- Research in this video, the differences are astounding:

Last edited:
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Synergy is basically more additives to drive up the cost as if they did something beneficial. I think it has been around for a little while. They would like you to believe your global warming is cleaner.
[/QUOTE

No, synergy is the sum of all parts impacting a system. That's why these active speakers are interesting, the designer chooses parts that synergize together

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My experience with power components, including cables, is summarized nicely by Danny from GR- Research in this video, the differences are astounding:
That's a real marketing bullshit!
It looks like you don't know much about audio reproduction products. Please don't bother us with that kind of silly publicity.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
That's a real marketing bullshit!
It looks like you don't know much about audio reproduction products. Please don't bother us with that kind of silly publicity.
Dude, no need to blow a gasket. This is MY experience, period. The differences to me are astonishing. If you don't agree fine. Look at the title of the thread, if you don't agree don't be so rude.

Can wire act like an antenna? YES
Can wire act like a filter? YES
Will the power conditions in NYC be the same as the power conditions of rural upstate NY?? Not likely, thus the need for synergy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis