JBL HT1Fs, Gramps to the rescue

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They sound better ear level, for sure, and they are really good for movies, the bass is already a big difference, it sounds like it's coming from the surrounds, but I'm sure the bass is coming from the JBLs, it really fills the room, but for music, they still sound a bit mumbled nonetheless, either way, 5.1 is cool as heck, just gotta find a good movie to watch now, i did go through the speaker setup and levels, i set my speakers to small, enabled the center and surround, and then measured their distance, i leveled them using a decibels app, I'm gonna take another photo of their current position
When not using direct mode ... did you check the tone controls for bass and treble on the receiver to make sure bass is set to 0

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
When not using direct mode ... did you check the tone controls for bass and treble on the receiver to make sure bass is set to 0
well, what you do there doesn't affect direct mode anyway

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
You don't have rear surrounds until you get to 7.1. Surrounds should be more to the side, like yours, and the way I see those they're lower than higher in any case as I'd consider high to be above ear level (my old Sony avr also has these settings).
they show up as surround back, perhaps i hooked them up wrong, i'll look that up tomorrow

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
they show up as surround back, perhaps i hooked them up wrong, i'll look that up tomorrow
Usually in a 5.1 configuration the rear surrounds won't even play. Terminology might be a bit different, maybe your model of Sony in 5.1 can accommodate the various positions mentioned all in the 5.1 surround mode.....did you look it up in the manual?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Usually in a 5.1 configuration the rear surrounds won't even play. Terminology might be a bit different, maybe your model of Sony in 5.1 can accommodate the various positions mentioned all in the 5.1 surround mode.....did you look it up in the manual?
no, but i might have used the wrong surround outputs, as i said, i'll look that up tomorrow

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
well, what you do there doesn't affect direct mode anyway
Can be true in most cases with most receivers, but that Sony receiver tends to operate a little different ... however, hope everything works out for you

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
just confirmed, they are wrong
What HD is referring to is that surround speakers in a 5.1 setup are technically not "rear", but "side" speakers. It's just a terminology thing.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
What HD is referring to is that surround speakers in a 5.1 setup are technically not "rear", but "side" speakers. It's just a terminology thing.
No no, there are outputs for back surrounds, and surrounds, i had hooked them up to back surround, while i was settings the levels they were also being refered as SBR and SBL

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While SL and SR didn't play a thibg
The surrounds should easily play with 5.1 content, and would expect nothing from rear surrounds. Wonder if your zone 2 thing is involved (is it assigned to use rear surrounds?).

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
The surrounds should easily play with 5.1 content, and would expect nothing from rear surrounds. Wonder if your zone 2 thing is involved (is it assigned to use rear surrounds?).
Idk, tho, i was playing 7.1 content, tho, afaik, this receiver only does 5.1 compressed, i might be wrong
It did sound like what they were playing was supposed to come out from my back suprisingly enough

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Idk, tho, i was playing 7.1 content, tho, afaik, this receiver only does 5.1 compressed, i might be wrong
It did sound like what they were playing was supposed to come out from my back suprisingly enough
Like Zieg says, Sony may be a bit different in what will play in what mode. If I set my avrs up for 5.1 generally the rear surrounds would be inactive (my Sony is only 5.1 so it can't handle 7.1). However a lot of 7ch avrs can play 5.1 and assign the rear surrounds to zone 2 use, so wondered if that might be in play (but would be L/R signal in such case).

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Also i meant that when SL and SR had no speakers connected to them, only the SBR and SBL noise test were working, after changing them they worked fine

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Perhaps it does...
20210501_174937.jpg

Gramps used to have a center back channel after all...
I just assume dit was for thx

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
That's just discussing whether you have one surround back speaker or two....(I think your avr is from the time 6.1 was more a "thing").
I mean, i've been doing stuff thinking this was capped at 5.1, and i do have some 6.1 films...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mean, i've been doing stuff thinking this was capped at 5.1, and i do have some 6.1 films...
Looking thru the manual yes it's basically a 5.1 with a bit of 6.1 capability for content from what I see, as well as some upmixing into as much as 7.1....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Looking thru the manual yes it's basically a 5.1 with a bit of 6.1 capability for content from what I see, as well as some upmixing into as much as 7.1....
So a center back channel makes more sense than stereo back there, if i were to stay true to the content

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis