JBL HT1Fs, Gramps to the rescue

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Phantom center tends to be better than some of them Mickey Mouse center channels
Mine is not a mikey center, but it's just as bad as my mains, since they are from the same family, my gramps is a mickey center tho

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I think i missinterpretated the meaning of a phantom and mickey centers actually

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think i missinterpretated the meaning of a phantom and mickey centers actually
with Phantom mode you tell the receiver no in the speaker set-up ... the front speakers will handle the front channels, but it works best if you sit between the 2 front speakers ... the JBL should give you decent imaging till you upgrade the center channel

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
with Phantom mode you tell the receiver no in the speaker set-up ... the front speakers will handle the front channels, but it works best if you sit between the 2 front speakers ... the JBL should give you decent imaging till you upgrade the center channel
Yup, agreed. I'd rather just go without a center channel than use a crappy one. If you sit in between your front 2 speakers the center image can be very good without a center channel speaker. I'll bet those JBLs have pretty good imaging.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
"Mickey mouse" means "not very good". "Phantom center" is where you just let your main 2 speakers handle center channel duty without the center speaker.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
"Mickey mouse" means "not very good". "Phantom center" is where you just let your main 2 speakers handle center channel duty without the center speaker.
ah, dowmizing to 4.1, i took that into consideration, yes

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Got the babies, and I'm gonna be honest, they didn't suprise me as much, if anything, they sound more muffled and less details than the old ones, for music that is, it's just sounds a bit mumbled, the bass overpowers most things, for a speaker that was supposed to lack bass, and yes, they are those ones, just with the mesh front on
20210430_181106-min.jpg

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Now, they aren't level, nor are they at the proper height, but if i do sit in a proper level, they sound like i wrote on the message above, if i don't the bass overpowers the music even more

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, my sub is on a repair shop, i wanted to try them out on the spot, so i could rule out the possible problems, but they were like, we can't do that, we are to occupied, leave it here and wait 5 to 10 days for an evaluation, but i wouldn't leave my receiver there, so i just left the sub, if they say the sub is fine, then it's probly me being dumb some way or another when hooking up, or something on the remote, i still don't have access to

If they say it's fine, I'm gonna try again to make hem test it on the spot, so we can decide if it's something that requires rapair, or just some dumb option, like, the sub being designated to the 2nd zone or something,
Humn, i don't have a crossover dial on my sub, so i hope just the LFE crossover point is fine
(That is, if i get my sub working)
So what was the issue with the sub? Were you able to access the bass management in your avr for the sub? Or need the remote? The sub wouldn't need a low pass filter (doubt it's an actual crossover) particularly if you're using bass management. Zone 2s in avrs generally do not accommodate subs at all....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
So what was the issue with the sub? Were you able to access the bass management in your avr for the sub? Or need the remote? The sub wouldn't need a low pass filter (doubt it's an actual crossover) particularly if you're using bass management. Zone 2s in avrs generally do not accommodate subs at all....
I still don't know, it hasn't been 3 days since I left it there

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got the babies, and I'm gonna be honest, they didn't suprise me as much, if anything, they sound more muffled and less details than the old ones, for music that is, it's just sounds a bit mumbled, the bass overpowers most things, for a speaker that was supposed to lack bass, and yes, they are those ones, just with the mesh front on
View attachment 47164
Noooo... that makes me sad. I was hoping they'd rock your socks off. Did you try using tone controls or run any kind of speaker setup? Assuming your receiver does such. I don't know what model you have there. You really do want the tweeters at ear height tho for sure. Other than that it doesn't look like the positioning is horrible. Pulling them away from the wall some more might help with the boomy bass, which really surprises me. They're only rated to 70 hz. If anything I'd think they'd sound lean. Try experimenting with toe in too.

I wonder if ol' gramps mighta blown a tweeter?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Noooo... that makes me sad. I was hoping they'd rock your socks off. Did you try using tone controls or run any kind of speaker setup? Assuming your receiver does such. I don't know what model you have there. You really do want the tweeters at ear height tho for sure. Other than that it doesn't look like the positioning is horrible. Pulling them away from the wall some more might help with the boomy bass, which really surprises me. They're only rated to 70 hz. If anything I'd think they'd sound lean. Try experimenting with toe in too.

They sound better ear level, for sure, and they are really good for movies, the bass is already a big difference, it sounds like it's coming from the surrounds, but I'm sure the bass is coming from the JBLs, it really fills the room, but for music, they still sound a bit mumbled nonetheless, either way, 5.1 is cool as heck, just gotta find a good movie to watch now, i did go through the speaker setup and levels, i set my speakers to small, enabled the center and surround, and then measured their distance, i leveled them using a decibels app, I'm gonna take another photo of their current position
The receiver is a Sony da9000es( also from gramps, go figure)
There's an eq, but it's only available if you're using one of those theater room or multi dimension sound presets, or only 2 channels, which i guess solves the music problem, but it's a pain to have to go change that every time, if i put it to direct mode, it just disables any post possessing , including the eq

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

He's got this to deal with for avr https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sony-da9000es-2nd-zone-on-will-stay-on-on-stabdby-and-some-extra-troubleshooting.122024/

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I meant what was the problem particularly? Did you have another thread on it?
Not another thread, but i did mention on my first recent one, and nothing i tried myself, and the few things I hadn't tried that people suggested me worked

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Also, truck my dad is going way to hard on them, i don't wanna sound like a bitch, trying to stop him from doing, but we might as well get a volume warning at this point

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Ain't to shabby
Now, there's an option for surround back high, surround back low, and surround sides high, which ones is the best here?
20210430_221440-min.jpg
20210430_221730-min.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't have rear surrounds until you get to 7.1. Surrounds should be more to the side, like yours, and the way I see those they're lower than higher in any case as I'd consider high to be above ear level (my old Sony avr also has these settings).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis