Are These Finds Good Deals?

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
anyone in the austin area? i'm visiting my friend and decided to see what was on cl. it seems like a great deal at more than half off of the hsu site.

Worth a listen.. Good deal if you like them..

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
i didn't even know hsu made anything other than subs.
they are pretty boxes though
They have been making speakers for a while now, i never heard any, but, afaik they are mostly warmish neutral,and decent... Idk if i'd like them or not...And yes they are pretty ...☺

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Still checking them out ... but they have a good build quality
I couldn't tell much from your pic of them still in bags!

I know, I know. You're holding out for the official review. Looking forward to your impressions!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I couldn't tell much from your pic of them still in bags!

I know, I know. You're holding out for the official review. Looking forward to your impressions!
That picture was out of the bags ... that plastic was a covering over the drivers ... even the inside of the grill is clean

1618690137046.png

1618690196845.png

1618690273634.png

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, nice! They look great without grilles. Very nice looking speaker all the way around.
This is my take ... they suggest 100 hrs to break the speakers in, so I compromised and gave them 20 minutes.:):)

They are smooth and easy on the ears ... they are slightly warm and polite sounding ... no real bumps in the frequency response ... bass is good and controlled and goes lower than most 5-1/4 inch woofers that I have heard ... voices are clear and clean with no excess ssszzz sounds ... they have good imaging with a wide soundstage that has decent central imaging ... the tweeter is nice/decent, but lacks some air ... they are lacking some as far as texture and layering of voices and instruments ... they are slightly boxy sounding but not distracting ... the Energy C-100 are better to me than the original Paradigm Atom and Titan and Monitor speakers and the original PSB Alpha, and better than the former Energy C-1 speakers and better than the Polk RTi4 and HTD Level Two and the Infinty Primus speakers, and also better than the JBL entry level speakers of the past ... I pretty much believe they will sound the same even a week or month from now ... people who desire a frequency bump in the 1 to 2 khz region like many speakers have and desire a somewhat rising treble will not like these speakers. -

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Energy does make some good speakers. I auditioned their towers when shopping for my HT system. The mid towers lacked in the vocal dept compared to the Paradigms but their higher end towers were quite nice. I just found that I needed to spend twice the money on the Energy towers to match the sound quality of the Paradigm bookshelves. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on those.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Energy does make some good speakers. I auditioned their towers when shopping for my HT system. The mid towers lacked in the vocal dept compared to the Paradigms but their higher end towers were quite nice. I just found that I needed to spend twice the money on the Energy towers to match the sound quality of the Paradigm bookshelves. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on those.
They are good for the price I paid ... the C-100 is still entry level, but perform better than a lot of entry level speakers ... I can tell that they are Canadian designed and engineered.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Found a Crown XLi 3500 for $300.

I've always used receivers, but I've wondered how one of these low cost ,hi power amps would sound.. I think the noise floor might be the Achilles heel...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've always used receivers, but I've wondered how one of these low cost ,hi power amps would sound.. I think the noise floor might be the Achilles heel...
I have half an eye out for one for my sub. The one I have now is more than adequate, but just knowing it has a blown channel messes with me psychologically. I still have no clue how much actual power I'm getting from it. Could be 900 watts, 1200 watts or even 3000 watts depending on what's wrong with the one channel and the way I have it set up right now.

Either way it's operating without misbehaving at all. I'm just looking for another goofy good deal for an amp. Looking at specs on that Crown I see there's no rating for 4 ohms bridged. Only 8, so it may not work for what I want it to. My sub is 4 ohms.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I have half an eye out for one for my sub. The one I have now is more than adequate, but just knowing it has a blown channel messes with me psychologically. I still have no clue how much actual power I'm getting from it. Could be 900 watts, 1200 watts or even 3000 watts depending on what's wrong with the one channel and the way I have it set up right now.

Either way it's operating without misbehaving at all. I'm just looking for another goofy good deal for an amp. Looking at specs on that Crown I see there's no rating for 4 ohms bridged. Only 8, so it may not work for what I want it to. My sub is 4 ohms.
Why not. Might as well enjoy the hobby.. If i had any disposable income I'd be sporting bmr's and a killer amp and rythmik sub

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why not. Might as well enjoy the hobby.. If i had any disposable income I'd be sporting bmr's and a killer amp and rythmik sub
I'm not too eager to spend much for one. What I'd really like is to find one for like a hunnert bucks. I can get one like the one I have now for $350 new, so if I can find one, or something similar for half that or less I might just grab it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is more of a curiosity find. "Rare and most sought after"... a JBL LSR 4312SP powered sub with DSP. Anyone know the story behind it?

00909_drzDyqu8CeQz_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg

There's a guy selling sub enclosures on there too, and this one caught my eye...

00z0z_fnWXQ897ZNgz_0ne0hq_1200x900.jpg

Then I saw the box is tuned to 35 hz. Doesn't look like it has much bracing either. That ain't gonna cut it in the Pogre household! I dig the 2 driver design tho...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This is more of a curiosity find. "Rare and most sought after"... a JBL LSR 4312SP powered sub with DSP. Anyone know the story behind it?

View attachment 46810

There's a guy selling sub enclosures on there too, and this one caught my eye...

View attachment 46811

Then I saw the box is tuned to 35 hz. Doesn't look like it has much bracing either. That ain't gonna cut it in the Pogre household! I dig the 2 driver design tho...
Looks like a band pass box for an auto, which are usually tuned for max output at that frequency as that is the bass note one usually wants to project whilst cruising (referred to as the “urban mating call”). Poor guy/gal probably built it THEN had the thought to see if it actually fit in his/her trunk...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis