Are These Finds Good Deals?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I
This one got my interest, until I saw $300 apiece... still tho, these Sunfire subs are s'posed to be pretty good subs?

still have my original True Subwoofer (MK I) from '97. The tech and performance at the time were groundbreaking and it is amazing what they can produce from such a small driver and cabinet compliment. That being said, they probably do not measure well by today's standards and I am sure any sub in your stable can out perform them. All that being said, $300 per is a pretty good price (I sold my MK II for $600 a couple of years ago) but I would imagine they have not had a tune-up (which they will probably need). Bill Flannery in WA (ex Sunfire tech) charges about $300 to work his magic: https://www.flannerysvintageaudio.com/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I

still have my original True Subwoofer (MK I) from '97. The tech and performance at the time were groundbreaking and it is amazing what they can produce from such a small driver and cabinet compliment. That being said, they probably do not measure well by today's standards and I am sure any sub in your stable can out perform them. All that being said, $300 per is a pretty good price (I sold my MK II for $600 a couple of years ago) but I would imagine they have not had a tune-up (which they will probably need). Bill Flannery in WA (ex Sunfire tech) charges about $300 to work his magic: https://www.flannerysvintageaudio.com/
I've read a little about them before and I guess for their size they can still impress. They made a pretty big splash back in the 90s.

Why does saying "back in the 90s" make it sound like that was a long time ago..?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Flannery in WA (ex Sunfire tech) charges about $300 to work his magic: https://www.flannerysvintageaudio.com/
That's kinda funny. I found a guy who repairs plate amps for the Infinity IL50 on eBay. This guy has a 5.0 IL set for $300 but his 50s have a "crackling sound" from the powered drivers.

Out of curiosity I did a search to see how hard/expensive it would be to fix it and found this guy.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
That's kinda funny. I found a guy who repairs plate amps for the Infinity IL50 on eBay. This guy has a 5.0 IL set for $300 but his 50s have a "crackling sound" from the powered drivers.

Out of curiosity I did a search to see how hard/expensive it would be to fix it and found this guy.

I thought about offering on the il10s, but then i gotta go pick em up :rolleyes: ..i wouldn't make an offer on the 50s.. Too old for powered speakers.... There's some elac uni2.0s out in Waddell (bfe) ..if they were under $400 would be good...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought about offering on the il10s, but then i gotta go pick em up :rolleyes: ..i wouldn't make an offer on the 50s.. Too old for powered speakers.... There's some elac uni2.0s out in Waddell (bfe) ..if they were under $400 would be good...
You'd have to figure another $400 for those IL50s for amp repairs, and those guys only offer 180 day warranty on their work. They are good speakers, but $400 is kinda pushing it and who knows how long the repair will hold.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I've read a little about them before and I guess for their size they can still impress. They made a pretty big splash back in the 90s.

Why does saying "back in the 90s" make it sound like that was a long time ago..?
What? The ‘90s were just a few years ag... oh, crap.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
You'd have to figure another $400 for those IL50s for amp repairs, and those guys only offer 180 day warranty on their work. They are good speakers, but $400 is kinda pushing it and who knows how long the repair will hold.
Exactly.. I just don't go there with powered speakers, or subs... They are fine at very low prices , but those kind of products better be next to new to get my interest...

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Old school Canton Ergo's for $650 near DC:

That's a great price and not a bad drive at all... but I have nowhere for them. Trying really hard not to buy any gear for the time being.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Here's blast from the past!

One of my roommates in college had a pair of Toby speakers (he and Toby were from Fort Worth) powered by a Carver M-400 cube amp. Were they good? As far as my eighteen-year-old ears could tell, yes, and they were loud (especially in our tiny dorm room!). This was the model he had:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Someone is selling a pair of B&W 802Ds out here for $6750. I listened to the 802 D3s and to this date one of the best I've ever heard.

00A0A_67WnieADWPiz_0iP0CI_1200x900.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's blast from the past!

One of my roommates in college had a pair of Toby speakers (he and Toby were from Fort Worth) powered by a Carver M-400 cube amp. Were they good? As far as my eighteen-year-old ears could tell, yes, and they were loud (especially in our tiny dorm room!). This was the model he had:
Those Tobys, are those 6 x 9 woofers? Interesting. @Kvn_Walker those old Cantons look old! Lol. I guess Canton has been around a long time.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Those Tobys, are those 6 x 9 woofers? Interesting. @Kvn_Walker those old Cantons look old! Lol. I guess Canton has been around a long time.
Yeah, a 6x9. When I went home during a break in school, I mentioned them to my local high-end dealer and he haughtily harumphed at the idea of a "non-circular" driver...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I know nothing about these but they have a certain presence.
There's definitely a segment in the audio community who'll pay big bucks for those old speakers. There's a shop out here that specializes in those vintage speakers. "Only" $850 for these.

00202_6TRt9sJgkyIz_0cU09G_1200x900.jpg

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I

I love the people that say "If you are reading this you know what these are worth.." Like it's a threat not to offer them lower than their asking price. And then the asking price is usually way too high. They need to lose the attitude in the post :0

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
This one got my interest, until I saw $300 apiece... still tho, these Sunfire subs are s'posed to be pretty good subs?

The description sounds similar to the new SVS 3000 Micro.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis