Help with Dual Subs

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello, I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-A880 receiver in a 7.2 set-up L/R, C, Surr.,Front Presence and two Definitive Tech Powered Subs connected to the receivers Sub 1 and Sub 2 LFE output. My question is I'm not sure if the Sub 2 is active when watching a movie in Surround. Or is the Sub 2 output only active when using a Zone 2 with separate speakers in that zone. When I run a test tone only one Sub shows on the graphic.
Thanks
Zone 2 is a two channel zone and will not grab a sub from the main zone. When checking channels, the LFE channel is treated as a single channel since that is what it is actually, a single Low Frequency Effects channel. The single signal can be sent out to one or two subwoofers. When testing speakers, is Sub 2 light green or red?
26E452E6-CB19-4B3E-9BB9-FA007F894A6C.jpeg
0C7E4053-E945-43C9-9332-50E6719F17F2.jpeg

K

Kaiser Roll

Audiophyte
Have you determined whether or not sub 2 is working??
Both subs are active..thanks. Now my frustration is only one Sub shows in test tone and YAPO measurements. My other question would be should I leave the volume control on the subs themselves in the 12 O' clock position? Plus what does the Sub volume due as apposed to the Sub volume on the receiver itself?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You only have one sub channel, tho....so when you run the ypao or test tones the sub 2 makes no noise? You said it works, tho....
The gain control on the sub at 12oclock is an often recommended starting point. What is the sub trim level set to in the avr currently? Generally easier to control and more accurately from the avr once it is setup (if you wanted to lower/raise the sub level later).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha usually recommends the volume knob on the subwoofer be set at 50% and the crossover knob set to max as the receiver will set the levels when running YPAO.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Both subs are active..thanks. Now my frustration is only one Sub shows in test tone and YAPO measurements. My other question would be should I leave the volume control on the subs themselves in the 12 O' clock position? Plus what does the Sub volume due as apposed to the Sub volume on the receiver itself?
The knobs are for folks using a stereo receiver with no sub pre outs. They can connect the speaker wires to the sub and it can deal with the volume and crossover. You do not need to worry about them when connecting to the LFE input except to set the volume to the recommended level.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The knobs are for folks using a stereo receiver with no sub pre outs. They can connect the speaker wires to the sub and it can deal with the volume and crossover. You do not need to worry about them when connecting to the LFE input except to set the volume to the recommended level.
Well, not just the avr's recommendation for sub level when it has no particular idea of what sub you're using.....or the gain relationship particularly. Sometimes 12 o'clock is too high a gain, but would be reflected in the avr's sub trim level set after ypao....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm working on a sub erotica fan fiction post right now. I might include @Danzilla31 as the sub-port antagonist for an interesting love triangle story.
If you are looking at standmounts may I suggest that you include @ryanosaur? From a recent post about a bookshelf I think he will qualify!

:D

T

Tailspin70

Audioholic Intern
Even though they have the same LFE signal going to both, they each have their own level gain/volume dial so I'm thinking you may need to adjust so that they match. On many receivers the automatic calibration does not distinguish each sub individually so you could end up with a sub where the level is too low.

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm better off with subs on either side of the front speakers or have them on opposite walls for coverage. Sub placement appears to be more art than science.

T

Tailspin70

Audioholic Intern
You'll want to at least set the volume high enough so that the test tones get heard from the microphone. Personally I find YPAO sets the level for the sub too low for my taste so I usually set the volume on the sub to results in a -7/-8 level adjustment after ypao and then I manually adjust the level back to 0.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I've done similar teaks. Interesting that, without any idea of one's sub/subs, Yamaha recommends a 50% volume level before running YPAO. I never had a problem with it or other brand receivers hearing subs when set at about 30% volume. If I remember the last go around, the subs were at 50% and the levels came in at -10 before adjusting it. Settings change all too often 'round here as I can't leave it alone. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I've done similar teaks. Interesting that, without any idea of one's sub/subs, Yamaha recommends a 50% volume level before running YPAO. I never had a problem with it or other brand receivers hearing subs when set at about 30% volume. If I remember the last go around, the subs were at 50% and the levels came in at -10 before adjusting it. Settings change all too often 'round here as I can't leave it alone. :p
50% is just a general rule of thumb to start. It's not necessarily universal and different subs will have different gain structures. I'm not sure about YPAO, but Audyssey will prompt me to adjust the gains on the backs of my subs to fall within a certain volume range during setup. I make it a little hot, but still within the "green zone". After that I don't touch the gain knob on the subs again and do any level adjustments in the avr menu.

Right now my trims are set at -7.5 and -8 and I only bump +2 dB from there. @Tailspin70 are you saying you bump your sub trim by 7 or 8 dB after running correction? That seems like a lot, but then again I'm unfamiliar with YPAO.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I just found it interesting using YPAO for the first time. Halfway mark won’t mean much to some subs while lesser subs will sweat it out during spirited listening of certain movies even if the receiver’s levels are in the low range. Stupid “Tenet.”
35C761FF-7474-431B-9FF0-37C5217157B2.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just found it interesting using YPAO for the first time. Halfway mark won’t mean much to some subs while lesser subs will sweat it out during spirited listening of certain movies even if the receiver’s levels are in the low range. Stupid “Tenet.”
View attachment 46552
Twice now I mixed you up with someone else. I know you already knew that... oops.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis