Looking for guidance and advice

• Thread starter Jamie's is bigger
  • Start date
Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
Hey guys! Im new to the page but have been building and tinkering with stereo systems since my Dads mid 70s Toshiba system at like 10 years old. I have a 2 sets of Technics SB-SL701's AND SB-A65 tower speakers and Onkyo SKF-100 as my center. What can I say I like to party! Ive been powering these with a Technics SU-V78 reciever that craped out a few days ago. I know whats wrong with it and have the skills to fix it but Ive been looking at different options
1.Marantz SR-4002
2.Technics SA-EX110
3.Technics SA-424
All 3 are $20 a peice on market place. But I want somthing that has at least 350 watt RMS rating and Denon, Onkyo, HK, are not out there for 20 bucks. Recommendations on cheap or older units that can push my set up without sounding like crap? Believe it or not The SU-V78 has done really well but has a list of failed soldering points and filthy pots. Thank you for any ideas

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
None of those speakers need more than 100 WPC, 350 W average (so called RMS) will be more than enough to destroy the speakers if you crank the volume up high enough. So look for amps rated 75 to 100 W into 8 ohms, don't restrict your choice by imposing the 350 W requirement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There aren't any 350 watt rms per channel receivers to begin with. Why do you want such a high rating? Probably better to find an old unit that happens to have pre-outs and install an appropriate power amp if you want more than typical receiver amp sections.

Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
None of those speakers need more than 100 WPC, 350 W average (so called RMS) will be more than enough to destroy the speakers if you crank the volume up high enough. So look for amps rated 75 to 100 W into 8 ohms, don't restrict your choice by imposing the 350 W requirement.

Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
Thank you guys! Well i have a verdict and i want your opinions if you will. Im not saying how much it cost till i read your opinions btw. I got a Sony STR-DG820 7.1 × 100 WPC. Ive had a few quality AVs Hk and like 5 Onkyo's and this seems like a good competitor. Sony seems to be an all around brand nowadays. I own tons of bluetooth portable speakers and theirs are my favorite. Aside from (JBL Extreme and Doss Soundbox XL)!! Anyways let me know your thoughts, my Ol Lady is sick of me askin her!

Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
There aren't any 350 watt rms per channel receivers to begin with. Why do you want such a high rating? Probably better to find an old unit that happens to have pre-outs and install an appropriate power amp if you want more than typical receiver amp sections.
An older unit was what i wanted i have a 1000 watt Sony HTS that would push them. I should have worded it as what brands other than HK, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz sound good and cheaper?

Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
I definitely worded that wrong! Not 350 per channel but definitely want more than 60 wpc. I came up with the Sony STR-DG820 for a price i couldn't turn down its 7.1×100 perfect condition. Whats your take on Sony

Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
I didnt mean 350 wpc my apologies, total. I wanted to stay away from surrond sound recievers so older models that are findable

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also generally keep the specs behind a rating relatively equal or they lose their significance. Just stating a wattage without the background spec is suspect automatically. Many would like to see a 20hz-20khz with high linearity and a very low thd or thd+n spec. Many advertisements take a lot of liberties with what is being spec'd so much so as to make it useless information....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Jamie. Sony has a very decent reputation for HT Receivers, and I've owned 4 of them in my dabbling in HT. (Presently still have 2 of them on HT systems but more recent than your ~13 year old Sony STR-DG820.) I also have a couple of Denons on systems, and just gave one of my old Denons to a Brother who's Sony STR-DN860 Receiver died (Speaker protection circuit - a common failure point on newer units I'm told).

I noticed you don't mention any Subs in your system. You will find they can take a lot of load off a receiver as low bass consumes a lot of power. If you don't have any Subs, put them on your to do list next.

A you seem to have a 5.0 system, the 7.1 STR-DG820 won't be driving 2 speakers so it will have a bit of an easier time supplying the 5 channels you have, when you want it loud. Your SB-SL701 are rated at 90 db/w at 1 meter whereas the SB-A37s have a sensitivity of 88 db (1 watt/1 meter). The Onkyo SKF-100 center is manufactured in China, rated at 100w and is 8 ohms. I'm struggling to find much about it. I'm thinking it was part of a HT in a Box system, and probably not very efficient. (Sorry to be a skeptic.) Please advise if you have any Data for this speaker.

In an HT set-up your center speaker is where the majority of the sound is channeled through during a movie, TV, - any surround codec => so it's critical to get it right. Your Onkyo could be in tough if it's in the 83 db range that I see for other Onkyo center channels of this age. With a decent Center and a Sub, the Sony STR-DG820 should be a fine HT Receiver to start out with.

Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
Also generally keep the specs behind a rating relatively equal or they lose their significance. Just stating a wattage without the background spec is suspect automatically. Many would like to see a 20hz-20khz with high linearity and a very low thd or thd+n spec. Many advertisements take a lot of liberties with what is being spec'd so much so as to make it useless information....
Ive learned wattage rates dont really mean s*^t anymore. I was patient and dealt with my 2×50 +100 SW mini amp I got off Wish and just made a home for the Amp board. Its my little test amp that has ended up being awesome! I almost bought a couple different higher end used Marantz Denon Onkyo recievers and no joke when i was on my way to buy one and trolling Market Place a older couple put my new Sony STR-DG820 up for free!! I have lots of Sony electronics cuz lets face it their an ALL AROUND awesome company. And like Samsung they dont put out much junk. Im an 80s baby that loves my Technics SB-A65's over stuffed tower speakers paired up with its little brother SB-ZL701's and 2 Onkyo center's. To some of the guys on here it dated 80s crap. Its the nostalgia and hunting down stuff that i used to have or could never get. I had these exact model speakers at 12 years old.
Hi Jamie. Sony has a very decent reputation for HT Receivers, and I've owned 4 of them in my dabbling in HT. (Presently still have 2 of them on HT systems but more recent than your ~13 year old Sony STR-DG820.) I also have a couple of Denons on systems, and just gave one of my old Denons to a Brother who's Sony STR-DN860 Receiver died (Speaker protection circuit - a common failure point on newer units I'm told).

I noticed you don't mention any Subs in your system. You will find they can take a lot of load off a receiver as low bass consumes a lot of power. If you don't have any Subs, put them on your to do list next.

A you seem to have a 5.0 system, the 7.1 STR-DG820 won't be driving 2 speakers so it will have a bit of an easier time supplying the 5 channels you have, when you want it loud. Your SB-SL701 are rated at 90 db/w at 1 meter whereas the SB-A37s have a sensitivity of 88 db (1 watt/1 meter). The Onkyo SKF-100 center is manufactured in China, rated at 100w and is 8 ohms. I'm struggling to find much about it. I'm thinking it was part of a HT in a Box system, and probably not very efficient. (Sorry to be a skeptic.) Please advise if you have any Data for this speaker.

In an HT set-up your center speaker is where the majority of the sound is channeled through during a movie, TV, - any surround codec => so it's critical to get it right. Your Onkyo could be in tough if it's in the 83 db range that I see for other Onkyo center channels of this age. With a decent Center and a Sub, the Sony STR-DG820 should be a fine HT Receiver to start out with.
Ok so I also (for free) picked up a Full Sony BDV-E570 HT Systrm, its in my living room never being used. I didnt think my 80s 90s stuff would sound all that great on it so I was wanting somthing Like the Technics that just craped out. But this STR -DG820 just fell in my lap and its honestly JUST getting the job done. Not in just wattage ratings But quality. You can toataly tell the difference. Im just gonna wait till the Denon falls in my lap and deal with the Sony buzzing till then. Ive checked all internal crossovers on the speakers and i think its coming from the receiver. Do you know what thats all about?

Last edited:
Jamie's is bigger

Jamie's is bigger

Audiophyte
Ive learned wattage rates dont really mean s*^t anymore. I was patient and dealt with my 2×50 +100 SW mini amp I got off Wish and just made a home for the Amp board. Its my little test amp that has ended up being awesome! I almost bought a couple different higher end used Marantz Denon Onkyo recievers and no joke when i was on my way to buy one and trolling Market Place a older couple put my new Sony STR-DG820 up for free!! I have lots of Sony electronics cuz lets face it their an ALL AROUND awesome company. And like Samsung they dont put out much junk. Im an 80s baby that loves my Technics SB-A65's over stuffed tower speakers paired up with its little brother SB-ZL701's and 2 Onkyo center's. To some of the guys on here it dated 80s crap. Its the nostalgia and hunting down stuff that i used to have or could never get. I had these exact model speakers at 12 years old.

Ok so I also (for free) picked up a Full Sony BDV-E570 HT Systrm, its in my living room never being used. I didnt think my 80s 90s stuff would sound all that great on it so I was wanting somthing Like the Technics that just craped out. But this STR -DG820 just fell in my lap and its honestly JUST getting the job done. Not in just wattage ratings But quality. You can toataly tell the difference. Im just gonna wait till the Denon falls in my lap and deal with the Sony buzzing till then. Ive checked all internal crossovers on the speakers and i think its coming from the receiver. Do you know what thats all about?
Oh and the SB-SL701's are 200 wattas a peice and the SB-A65's are 260

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Oh and the SB-SL701's are 200 wattas a peice and the SB-A65's are 260
Those are definitely 'vintage' speakers. They will play full range well, but don't have the deep bass that a dedicated subwoofer would have in any space.

What, specifically, is your use? What type of room are you putting these speakers into?

I would seriously consider a decent subwoofer and then I might start looking for a dedicated amplfiier.

Be aware that REPUTABLE companies have numbers and figures that actually matter. Almost everything on a website like Wish is them lying to you. It's just complete BS. Amazon has this issue as well. The bottom line is that if you can't find reviews, and there isn't a website, then they are likely lying to you about what the product can do.

Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Marantz, etc. tend to just post actual measurements. They are reputable and far more likely to deliver a quality product.

At some point though, if you are looking for more power, then I might consider a dedicated amplifier that matches up nicely to the speakers. Crown and others make more pro-level amps which can reach incredible power levels that will happily destroy your speakers.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Jamie, as BMXTRIX said, some specs, especially power ratings on older equipment tend to be smoke & mirrors from some OEMS; and IMHO the cheaper the equipment was initially, the more bogus the numbers are. For example the manual for the SB-SL701s has input power at 200W (music) which for most folks is a "non" spec and really just a marketing number to influence sales. Power ratings need definition parameters for them to be believed. Even the Frequency range published, although with parameters, is strange. => 33Hz ~ 22kHz (-16dB) and 41Hz ~ 20kHz (-10dB) most use deviations like +/- 3dB at most. Better speakers use even tighter numbers.

Please answer all of the questions members here ask, as we are truly just trying to help you out. Without responses it makes the process that much harder.

As for the Sony buzzing, please define what's going on. Is it a 60 cycle hum? Typically most folks have "buzzing issues" related to grounding problems, or adjacent electrical equipment inducing noise onto the powerline. (Typically Refrigerators, Fluorescent Lights, pumps, fans, etc.) Start with only a single speaker connected, and a single source and try to plug it into a circuit without anything else. If it buzzes on radio (FM is probably better than AM) and a single speaker, then swap the speaker. If it doesn't buzz then it could be something connected to the STR-DG820. Add one device at a time until you find the one causing the issue.

Troubleshooting can be time consuming, but you need to be methodical and change only one parameter at a time. I get it you are on a Budget and being cost effective is admirable, but sometimes Free stuff just won't give you the results you are looking for.

I hope this is helpful.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis