JBL HDI 3800 vs KLIPSCH RF-7III

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks bro I just have one question. HAVE YOU INSTALLED THOSE RSL C34E'S YET? :D
I actually got some used Canton Vento AR800 front heights and got some SVS Prime Elevation rear heights so rocking the 5.1.4 now. :)

The RSLs are still boxed up for when we decide on staying or moving homes. I’m actually really happy so far. I think I’m 85% of what in ceiling would get me. :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
JBL 3800: 8,000 Cubic Inch, 8” Woofers x 3 = 150 Square Inch, 83 lbs
RF7iii: 12,000 Cubic Inch, 10” Woofers x 2 = 157 Square Inch, 97 lbs

So the RF7 probably has more bass and cost less.

The JBL probably has a better reputation since it is a Harman speaker. And there aren’t many fans of Klipsch around here.

I think you have to listen for yourself to know for sure. But if you are going by popular vote here, I bet the JBL will win. :D
590 is a budget option better for music / ht
3800$ Has more drivers , Klipch has a big horn larger woofers but less surface area and no midrange?
Throw the chane 753 in there also haha
Revel is overpriced IMO but if you can afford it they look like jbl Lexus , paradigms similar .
Infinity is more value per dollar but not as high end
590 is only one I’ll probably be able to afford others I’m too broke for ..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Klipch has a big horn larger woofers but less surface area and no midrange?
No, the RF-7-III has more speaker surface area and more cabinet volume than the JBL.

The dual 10" woofers most likely handle some lower midrange and bass. And the big horn probably handles some upper midrange and treble.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No, the RF-7-III has more speaker surface area and more cabinet volume than the JBL.

The dual 10" woofers most likely handle some lower midrange and bass. And the big horn probably handles some upper midrange and treble.
Klipch probably wins this shootout, especially for most uses.
Unless you prefer neutral speakers.. less dynamic
jbl590 probably wins higher reviews on average then hdi series considered its significantly cheaper . Studio series too

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Klipch probably wins this shootout, especially for most uses.
Unless you prefer neutral speakers.. less dynamic
jbl590 probably wins higher reviews on average then hdi series considered its significantly cheaper . Studio series too
Probably. But we don't have any measurements of the RF-7-III.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Probably. But we don't have any measurements of the RF-7-III.

Without off-axis measurements, this speaker can't really be judged fully, but that crossover null is formidable and would likely grow worse off-axis. This is not a neutral speaker.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Without off-axis measurements, this speaker can't really be judged fully, but that crossover null is formidable and would likely grow worse off-axis. This is not a neutral speaker.
Big K, comin in for the win! :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Daaaaaaaaaamn. Not good. :D

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

Ahh, I had found it the other day and remembered that it wasn't pretty, but couldn't find it again this morning.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shady has said as much before. Right now, it's the 8000, and one other, that he mentioned where they snuk in some "good design."
Pretty much the only Klipsch I would buy might be their THX Ultra2 Certified speakers because in order to be certified for THX Ultra2, those speakers have to measure accurately. Too bad they don't make a THX Ultra2 Tower. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty much the only Klipsch I would buy might be their THX Ultra2 Certified speakers because in order to be certified for THX Ultra2, those speakers have to measure accurately. Too bad they don't make a THX Ultra2 Tower. :D
I agree, with reservation: I just don't want support them unless they up their game and start actually designing most of their speakers to perform better. (Erin's review of KEW's Heresy iv is a great example!)
If they wanna charge 1800 for a sh!tty version of a JTR (though be it a more attractive option) I guess that's fine. Something tells me the 210HT performs better. Would be an interesting comparison.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic

So this was for the Rf7iii? Or JBL? Guessing RF7 right?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, with reservation: I just don't want support them unless they up their game and start actually designing most of their speakers to perform better. (Erin's review of KEW's Heresy iv is a great example!)
If they wanna charge 1800 for a sh!tty version of a JTR (though be it a more attractive option) I guess that's fine. Something tells me the 210HT performs better. Would be an interesting comparison.
It would be nice to have the SAME person using the same technique and environment to measure and compare these speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis