Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

S

Slockim

Audiophyte
I know you need to enable object decode mode in the Yamaha menu (at least on my 2017 Yamaha RXA2060, you do)

I use Amazon Fire Cube 4K and Apple TV 4K though, not shield or TiVo.
Thanks for the response snakeeyes... but I don't think there's an object decode mode on this model?? (however I do remember it on a previous Yamaha I had)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
At the moment all my hardware (Shield Pro, TiVo 4k, etc.,) is hooked up to the yamaha receiver which in turn is connected to my HD projector...but the video format shouldn't affect the audio feed/codec... should it?! And as I mentioned, I can get Atmos in Netflix, but not the other apps I mentioned. (Thanks for the response BTW)
I would never have believed it if it didn’t happen to me. While using a Shield Pro to stream from Disney+, atmos worked with HDR and did not work with SDR. I’ve ranted on and on about the HDMI-CEC/ARC crap going on out there. Apps supporting atmos on different devices is another load of crap. Some poor soul can go out and get atmos capable gear only to find that a particular app does not support atmos on their devices in certain conditions.o_O

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The other setting is 4K mode. Mode 1 will pass 4K signal. I still see that setting on the new Yamahas.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the response Gmoney.... I'll try tinkering with the settings on the Shield and the TiVo 4k to see if that will help (similar to what you did on your Roku)
Your very welcome bro! So far no issues with my RX-V6A, My Son wants to buy it from me which I'll probably sell it to him and pick me up Yamahas RX-A1080. But yeah when I had my Roku set to Auto in setting it would only show DD+ only, no matter what setting I had in speaker setting in my RX-V6A.

Last edited:
S

SRO0425

Audiophyte
I just picked up a tsr700 for my miniature av/music/game room. Pretty straight forward set up- I have xbox to tv, then tv eARC'd to the tsr700. I'm running streaming tv straight from the tv. I play movies/games off the xbox. Then I stream music from Amazon Music on my phone. Running 5.1 right now but will add either presence or upfires at some point once I have this all figured out. Lots and lots of settings to work through and sometimes its hard to hear the nuance.

So some questions, when I run pure direct for music- it shuts down my sub, so I was curious what other people listen to music in? For movies and games I'm running 'standard' dsp mode and DD+ decode mode since it seems to be universally compatible with tv streamers. Anyone have any advice to shorten my learning journey?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I used "Straight" mode on my TSR-700 and later the RX-V6A. You may find that, depending on the TV, apps may not stream in atmos and a separate streaming device connected to the Yamaha may be necessary when you add atmos speakers. You can check the Yamaha display to see if atmos is coming over as DD+/atmos. Enjoy!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I use straight mode for music and movies. Allows playback of original format ie stereo, etc

hackenbacker

hackenbacker

Audiophyte
At the moment all my hardware (Shield Pro, TiVo 4k, etc.,) is hooked up to the yamaha receiver which in turn is connected to my HD projector...but the video format shouldn't affect the audio feed/codec... should it?! And as I mentioned, I can get Atmos in Netflix, but not the other apps I mentioned. (Thanks for the response BTW)
Trouble is, multiple things can affect what formats are used for audio and video. You've got settings that you choose for the devices. You've got handshaking between the devices for what they are capable of (and this may or may not override your chosen settings). If you are using apps on smart devices, they may or may not fully utilise whatever the devices are allowing.

And then you've got the content itself, and whatever is made available on different streams. For example, my satellite provider only makes Atmos soundtracks available on UltraHD broadcasts / downloads. It's entirely possible for a streaming app to select a stream based on video capabilities, and that have an impact on what audio format(s) they make available.

I have a similar issue on the video side with a Chromecast (/w GTV) - depending on how/when the handshaking takes place, sometimes apps don't detect that they can use Dolby Vision, unless I reboot the Chromecast.

B

binkypoo1

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I have a CX and some pretty decent Polk 5.1 speakers. I have my PC and my PS5 hooked up to the TV directly and then my AVR using the eARC for sound. Use all the apps through the TV as of now. I am currently using the Sony DN1080 but it's been giving me problems with HDMI signals. The board might be going bad? I am not sure.

Regardless, I am looking to upgrade now! I am currently looking at the Yamaha - RX-V6A Yamaha and the AVENTAGE RX-A2A. I would love some future proofing so I was thinking this would be a good way to go about it.

Did they ever resolve the HDMI 2.1 bugs on these receivers? My goal is to eventually get a beefier PC so I can use HDR/4K/120HZ/VRR with this TV. But I don't want to invest now if it's still all too early.

Anyone have advice for me?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hello all,

I have a CX and some pretty decent Polk 5.1 speakers. I have my PC and my PS5 hooked up to the TV directly and then my AVR using the eARC for sound. Use all the apps through the TV as of now. I am currently using the Sony DN1080 but it's been giving me problems with HDMI signals. The board might be going bad? I am not sure.

Regardless, I am looking to upgrade now! I am currently looking at the Yamaha - RX-V6A Yamaha and the AVENTAGE RX-A2A. I would love some future proofing so I was thinking this would be a good way to go about it.

Did they ever resolve the HDMI 2.1 bugs on these receivers? My goal is to eventually get a beefier PC so I can use HDR/4K/120HZ/VRR with this TV. But I don't want to invest now if it's still all too early.

Anyone have advice for me?
As of now No, Yamaha hasn't released the update for the 4K/120, 8 k thing yet. I believe someone posted up that this month they'll release the update. I have Yamahas RX-V6A and as of now no issues but like I stated can't use 2.1 yet it's not Functional till Yamaha sends the update and I don't have a 4K tv that has a 2.1 hdmi input or a 2.1 Source like a PS5.

B

binkypoo1

Audiophyte
As of now No, Yamaha hasn't released the update for the 4K/120, 8 k thing yet. I believe someone posted up that this month they'll release the update. I have Yamahas RX-V6A and as of now no issues but like I stated can't use 2.1 yet it's not Functional till Yamaha sends the update and I don't have a 4K tv that has a 2.1 hdmi input or a 2.1 Source like a PS5.
So it is in the works then. I will keep an eye on that. Do you know if the two receivers I am thinking about have any major differences between them?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn’t recommend anything on the market from Yamaha for future proofing as they aren’t even current. When Yamaha turns on the promised features, there are a few of them, there is no guarantee they will actually work properly without more updates. While more robust, I don’t think the $800 A2A is worth twice the price of a $400 TSR-700. The $600 V6A is the TSR-700’s twin. They all have the same feature set. I wait patiently to put the Yamaha back in service. F$&kin’ little droid just sits there beeping at me. I know he’s laughing.:mad:

B

binkypoo1

Audiophyte
I wouldn’t recommend anything on the market from Yamaha for future proofing as they aren’t even current. When Yamaha turns on the promised features, there are a few of them, there is no guarantee they will actually work properly without more updates. While more robust, I don’t think the $800 A2A is worth twice the price of a $400 TSR-700. The $600 V6A is the TSR-700’s twin. They all have the same feature set. I wait patiently to put the Yamaha back in service. F$&kin’ little droid just sits there beeping at me. I know he’s laughing.:mad:
Hahaha!

Would you be able to recommend anything other than the Yamahas then? Specifically with HDMI 2.1 in mind? Same price range-ish but I am willing to spend the money if I don't have to worry about this again for several years ahead!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Couldn't have stated any better about the new Yahamas at least as for the video side of them goes. Now I'm soon to be the owner of a new Yamaha RX-A1080 by end of next week! Funds are finally come in!! Andrew been keeping it warm and fussy for me in his stash closet for over a month now.:)

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hahaha!

Would you be able to recommend anything other than the Yamahas then? Specifically with HDMI 2.1 in mind? Same price range-ish but I am willing to spend the money if I don't have to worry about this again for several years ahead!
No one knows what or even if the 2.1 will even work right, Denon doesn't know, Yamaha doesn't know. Thats why I'm selling off my V6A to my Son he's gonna give it to his Son to put in his bedroom they both have PS4's, big time gamers they are. If I ever do get a 4k tv with 2.1 inputs I'll just run HDMI out from the source to TV than just use eARC back to my A1080. Don't think I'll ever get a PS5 but if I do I'll do the same with the HDMI just run the HDMI from it to TV and use eARC from TV back to AVR.

Last edited:
B

binkypoo1

Audiophyte
No one knows what or even if the 2.1 will even work right, Denon doesn't know, Yamaha doesn't know. Thats why I'm selling off my V6A to my Son he's gonna give it to his Son to put in his bedroom they both have PS4's, big time gamers they are. If I ever do get a 4k tv with 2.1 inputs I'll just run HDMI out from the source to TV than just use eARC back to my A1080. Don't think I'll ever get a PS5 but if I do I'll do the same with the HDMI just run the audio from it to TV and use eARC from TV back to AVR.
What a bummer of a time to be shopping for one of these things. Thanks for the insight!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps others will chime in, but I can’t think of anybody using the PS5 without issue through an AVR. Some with direct connections to a capable TV have issues as well. Normally, most will recommend connecting devices to the AVR and then video to the TV. But, Smart TV apps and the current HDMI 2.1 fiasco are changing things up a bit. If you plan on keeping a direct connection to the TV for everything, then anything out there with eARC will work for you. ARC will get you DD+/atmos when streaming, but only eARC will get you lossless TrueHD/atmos from discs. Can’t remember if any TV is passing DTS anymore. Tech these days...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis