Adjusting subwoofer levels after Audyssey.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I prefer DEQ because it applies the same boost in all channels, and gives it a smoother transition to the subwoofer (compared to no DEQ and using manual SW trim increase). Of course, several factors play into this too and what you prefer. If you like more subtle bass boosts it's likely just fine. Some speakers can't handle the bass increase and can sound muddy or distorted. Same goes for the subwoofer. The substantial bass increase (about +2.2dB for every -5 reduction from master volume at max reference or 0).

P.s. since I usually watch at -15 at my loudest, I decrease my surrounds and top rears by -3dB to compensate for DEQs surrounds/rear boosts (about +1dB for every -5).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If I recall, your don't have a huge space. In fact it might be small enough for a RSL Speedwoofer. It's only $399 and does really well for its size. I think it'd be a nice little step up. The new PB1000 Pro looks really good too, and it's not too much bigger than what you have. It's a true sub too and legit digs down to 20 hz. Both of those would be great for music.
I wish those prices were Canadian. With exchange and shipping I'm looking closer to $700 Cdn for the Speedwoofer. If manufactured outside the U.S. then import duties on top of that. Nothing decent at the big box stores. Found an SVS distributor and the PB 1000 Pro is $830 and the SB 1000 Pro $700 Cdn. I don't mind moving up to a 12" driver and the SB 1000 is rated down to 20 Hz. The PB digs a little deeper, but I get the impression that the sealed units have a little more detail in the mids and that probably leans more towards my tastes. Either way, I think I'll need at least $700+ to get anything significantly better unless I get lucky in the used market. (Damn, they had the non-Pro PB-1000 open box for $630 but sold out :eek:.)

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Is 3db following this thread? The PSB Subseries 250 (Canadian made) is on sale for $769 (reg $1099). Wonder how that would stack up against the SVS 1000 line? I can get that one locally.
25-150 Hz +/-3dB with LF cutoff at 20Hz -10dB. 200W class D amp.
The Sound and Vision review says that the Subseries is well suited to music, which I value over HT performance.
https://www.psbspeakers.com/product/subseries-250-subwoofer/
SVS SB1000 Pro is rated down to 20Hz +/-3dB with a 325W amp so deeper bass for less money. Decisions, decisions...
And the open box PB1000 is back on for $630! :D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The PB digs a little deeper, but I get the impression that the sealed units have a little more detail in the mids and that probably leans more towards my tastes.
I swear this is addressed here multiple times, daily. Sealed is not going to be more musical or detailed than a ported sub and you're one of those guys who continue to perpetuate the myth!

Btw, I've been listening to Flight of the Cosmic Hippo a lot lately. The bass isn't super strong, but it's not super weak either. It's really smooth and does dig fairly deep. It's fun to listen to!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I swear this is addressed here multiple times, daily. Sealed is not going to be more musical or detailed than a ported sub and you're one of those guys who continue to perpetuate the myth!

Btw, I've been listening to Flight of the Cosmic Hippo a lot lately. The bass isn't super strong, but it's not super weak either. It's really smooth and does dig fairly deep. It's fun to listen to!
Haha, yeah, sorry but I've seen some people say that sealed subs are more 'musical'. In reviews the SB1000 is said to be good for music and the PB1000 good for home theatre. Performance is pretty similar though. I may lean towards the SB1000 simply because it is a more compact enclosure and I have a small room. I can pick one up for $700 Cdn and that is what I am leaning towards. The PSB subs are good but the specs on the SVS are slightly better for less money.

I was going to ask whether you had listened to the track or just ran it through the spectrum analyzer. Glad to hear the former. :) What impressed me was the detail in the bass. I can clearly tell that he is playing an electric bass with metal strings. A lot of deep bass in modern music is simply digital samples using Pro Tools. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Cosmic Hippo is live. I would be curious to know what kit he used though. Whether he tuned a bass to go down that low naturally, or whether he has an octaver to halve the octaves on those really deep sections. Either way, the sound of the strings is lovely and I agree that it is very fun to listen to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha, yeah, sorry but I've seen some people say that sealed subs are more 'musical'. In reviews the SB1000 is said to be good for music and the PB1000 good for home theatre. Performance is pretty similar though. I may lean towards the SB1000 simply because it is a more compact enclosure and I have a small room. I can pick one up for $700 Cdn and that is what I am leaning towards. The PSB subs are good but the specs on the SVS are slightly better for less money.

I was going to ask whether you had listened to the track or just ran it through the spectrum analyzer. Glad to hear the former. :) What impressed me was the detail in the bass. I can clearly tell that he is playing an electric bass with metal strings. A lot of deep bass in modern music is simply digital samples using Pro Tools. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Cosmic Hippo is live. I would be curious to know what kit he used though. Whether he tuned a bass to go down that low naturally, or whether he has an octaver to halve the octaves on those really deep sections. Either way, the sound of the strings is lovely and I agree that it is very fun to listen to.
From Victor's webpage:
"
Compito Fretless 5
This was built by my friend Joe Compito. It has a purple heart top and an ebony fingerboard with purple heart fret markers. It was the first fretless or 5-string Joe had ever built. (He got it right the first time.) I've used this on many Flecktones recordings including "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo".

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
From Victor's webpage:
"
Compito Fretless 5
This was built by my friend Joe Compito. It has a purple heart top and an ebony fingerboard with purple heart fret markers. It was the first fretless or 5-string Joe had ever built. (He got it right the first time.) I've used this on many Flecktones recordings including "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo".
Oh, thanks for that! I'll have to check it out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, thanks for that! I'll have to check it out.
Check out Victor's recordings away from the Flecktones, too. Another to check out is his work with Stanley Clarke and Marcus Miller in S.M.V. (and of course their recordings of various sorts).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Oh yeah, I listened to it before I put it through the analyzer, and while I was analyzing too. I see HD found a quote and he's using a 5 string bass! I'm not a bass player but I'm assuming it's a heavier string. Would that explain it, or would he have to tune it lower too?

Yeah, the detail in the bass is really nice. I call that "having texture", and the bass in Hippo is very textured and detailed. I like it a lot. It's a great example of what good subwoofage that digs deep can do vs some of the speaker brands and budget choices. I do like me some synthesized bass, but prefer when an actual bass is being used. Some of my favorite bands have some pretty decent bass that's not synthesized, but a couple have 5 or 6 string bass guitars and/or detuned sometimes.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Eppie have you listened to any TOOL? Their bass player is really, really good. So is their drummer, and they make such a good team. Both have won awards for their playing. There's one song in particular that won their bassist some kind of award called 46 & 2 with a killer bass line.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Odd time signature(s) and polyrhythms are TOOL's bread and butter. That song is pretty typical too, in that it's a slow build to a powerful climax and ending.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah, I listened to it before I put it through the analyzer, and while I was analyzing too. I see HD found a quote and he's using a 5 string bass! I'm not a bass player but I'm assuming it's a heavier string. Would that explain it, or would he have to tune it lower too?

Yeah, the detail in the bass is really nice. I call that "having texture", and the bass in Hippo is very textured and detailed. I like it a lot. It's a great example of what good subwoofage that digs deep can do vs some of the speaker brands and budget choices. I do like me some synthesized bass, but prefer when an actual bass is being used. Some of my favorite bands have some pretty decent bass that's not synthesized, but a couple have 5 or 6 string bass guitars and/or detuned sometimes.
Iirc open note on a 5 string bass is just over 30hz.
That’s all fine and dandy, until fieldy gets ahold of it. Lmao.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Eppie have you listened to any TOOL? Their bass player is really, really good. So is their drummer, and they make such a good team. Both have won awards for their playing. There's one song in particular that won their bassist some kind of award called 46 & 2 with a killer bass line.
I have friends that are big fans of Tool and I've been meaning to check them out more. It's a little heavy for my wife at times but I like it. :) She can listen to rock but that's leaning more towards heavy metal. I love that bass sound though. I like a bass that has depth, but also has that higher end detail where you can hear the pick strumming the string and that distinctive sound of a round wound metal string. The song you linked to is a good example.

Here's some good Canadiana for you ;) and a nice example of the bass tone I like.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Iirc open note on a 5 string bass is just over 30hz.
That’s all fine and dandy, until fieldy gets ahold of it. Lmao.
Fieldy is exactly who I had in mind when I was typing that! That dude hits some serious deep notes with his bass and it's not synthetic sounding. You can hear the thickness and texture of the strings. Does he have a 7 string? He has a unique, funky style too. Heavy as shit sometimes, but funky nonetheless. He's one of those players that if you took him out of the group, the band would no longer be the same band.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Fieldy is exactly who I had in mind when I was typing that! That dude hits some serious deep notes with his bass and it's not synthetic sounding. You can hear the thickness and texture of the strings. Does he have a 7 string? He has a unique, funky style too. Heavy as shit sometimes, but funky nonetheless. He's one of those players that if you took him out of the group, the band would no longer be the same band.
Totally agree. He is definitely a “voice” in Korn. I also feel like Ray changed their trajectory as well as head coming back. Soo good.
What’s he play? Lots of different stuff but I think mainly a 5 string tuned to about the depths of hell. Lol ironically he found god too.
I don’t know if you can play a bass at all, but imo slapping the strings on a low tuned 5 string is pretty badass.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have friends that are big fans of Tool and I've been meaning to check them out more. It's a little heavy for my wife at times but I like it. :) She can listen to rock but that's leaning more towards heavy metal. I love that bass sound though. I like a bass that has depth, but also has that higher end detail where you can hear the pick strumming the string and that distinctive sound of a round wound metal string. The song you linked to is a good example.

Here's some good Canadiana for you ;) and a nice example of the bass tone I like.
Not a bad song either. This video has pretty good sound quality too.

I should have prefaced when I said 46 & 2 had a "killer bass line". It's not super deep, especially in the beginning, but from a musicianship perspective it's pretty killer. I learned to play drums for a few years and it really changed my perspective on music. Made me appreciate it from a whole new perspective, and even if I don't play anymore I'm still glad I learned.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis