Does Film Maker Mode Marks Death to the Soap Opera Effect for UHD Displays?

How Do You Prefer to Watch Your UHD TV?

• Directors Intent - No Motion Interpolation, No Soap Opera Effect

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Motion Enhancements for Sport Events, Directors Intent for Movies

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Give me Soap Opera Effect ALL the time

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Don't care, I'm still rocking a 40" CRT Display and S-VHS collection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, I was seeing the same thing and couldn’t stand it when watching any Star Wars material so I just turned it off. I didn’t mean that it went away on it’s own. If I turn it back on, it’s still there. The worst of it can be seen when watching “The Mandalorian” season one, episode one at the 29 minute mark to the end. All kinds of laser blast ghosts.:eek:
What settings were you using for Blur and Judder? You were on 5 for Judder, right?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe its a good thing to read the first thread, it explains a lot LOL
Maybe you should understand what the meme pic was about before assuming I don't know that this thread is about motion interpolation...

My response to G's post was because I didn't understand why someone would randomly come into a thread and ask what someone "didn't turn off" and then say he didn't read the whole thread -- it was just a weird, random question.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Directors Intent - No Motion Interpolation, No Soap Opera Effect
Thanks for clarifying.

There are ways to minimize or even eliminate the soap opera effect WHILE using motion interpolation, you know that, right? The customized sliders on modern 4K displays allow the user to dial in just the right amount of smoothing before SOE kicks in (or, if he/she prefers, to experience the SOE), which is what I do with my Samsung; at "5" on the Judder Reduction slider on my NU8000 (out of a scale from "0" to "10"), the motion stays smooth (save for the artifacts I'm discussing with Treb when fast moving foreground action takes place) without it crossing the line into that video-esque look.

Last edited:
Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
60hz panel here, so no blur reduction.
Gotcha; so the Judder Reduction was causing that ghostly distortion we've been talking about...

I suppose this is good to know, because then I don't have to worry about playing around with lowering the BLUR slider to combat this; can you give me a better idea of what this distortion in your picture looked like? I'm just trying to get an idea if it's the same thing I'm seeing...

I've tried lowering the Judder Reduction back to the Custom AMP mode's default of "3," but this doesn't get rid of it -- only when I turn the motion system completely OFF does it go away.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Weapons blasts or flashing lights are the worst offenders with what looks like white lightning striking within the blasts and colors. It can also create a strange wave of sorts around a fast moving object similar to refraction. Think of hot asphalt.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Weapons blasts or flashing lights are the worst offenders with what looks like white lightning striking within the blasts and colors. It can also create a strange wave of sorts around a fast moving object similar to refraction. Think of hot asphalt.
Thanks Treb; seems like we're experiencing if not the same thing, very close to it...

Have you tried lowering the Judder from 5 to something else?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I used three for awhile but it doesn’t quite smooth it enough and still has a bit of the other issues. Turning it up makes things worse. Mo’ smoothin’, mo’ problems.:confused:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe you should understand what the meme pic was about before assuming I don't know that this thread is about motion interpolation...

My response to G's post was because I didn't understand why someone would randomly come into a thread and ask what someone "didn't turn off" and then say he didn't read the whole thread -- it was just a weird, random question.
Never assume anything I know what the thread is about.:rolleyes:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Forget motion interpolation. Drama is the real soap opera effect.:D It’s all good guys.:)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Forget motion interpolation. Drama is the real soap opera effect.:D It’s all good guys.:)
Yep! I believe you knew why I asked that, what setting to switch on or off. Some AH members live for the Drama, they get All Soapy eyed with opera and they get inffected! :D
3C26C9A1-8609-47EF-AD50-A90C29797C0A.gif

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I knew. Hey, I’ve had my run ins around this joint, too. But, “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.”:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis