LG GX77 & Denon 6700 hookup

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, so do I just hook up to the HDMI or EARC port on the LG?
I will have the Denon of course handle all the processing but I forget which port to use on the LG and Denon.

Thanks!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The HDMI ports that support ARC or EARC are marked on both the LG and the Denon, so connect them with a cable. I thin that thre should be onle one HDMI on LG and Denon that supports ARC. In the LG settings do not enable EARC unless your Denon supports that. When I did that for my older Denon AVR I got issues with no sound.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
But the sound is not coming from the TV - I will have the Denon control the SVS speakers so does it matter?

Can't I just use the HDMI 1 on the LG and then the ERC (Monitor 1) on the Denon?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
On My LG OLDED 55CX the EARC port is HDMI 2, so you need to look at the port itself or read the manual.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Ok but my question is, if the Denon is handling all the audio anyway, does it matter which port the LG is connected to?

Or do they have to match?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, they must match or you will not get sound from your TV internal apps or any device directly connected to it. Other devices connected directly to your receiver will work as before.

All my devices are directly connected to my reciever and with ARC I hear sound when watching, say Netflix, using the TV's internal app.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So I guess I will do LG HDMI 2 (ARC) and then Denon HDMI Monitor 1 OUT

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok but my question is, if the Denon is handling all the audio anyway, does it matter which port the LG is connected to?

Or do they have to match?
That depends if you want audio sourced from the tv or not, so if you just use a tv as a display only the port on the tv doesn't really matter. Or you can disable ARC and still use the ARC port on the tv in case you want to later.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
That depends if you want audio sourced from the tv or not, so if you just use a tv as a display only the port on the tv doesn't really matter. Or you can disable ARC and still use the ARC port on the tv in case you want to later.
thats what I mean - I dont want audio from TV - only from AVR (Avr should handle everything)

So in this case, do I use HDMI 1 on LG and Monitor 1 on 6700?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thats what I mean - I dont want audio from TV - only from AVR (Avr should handle everything)

So in this case, do I use HDMI 1 on LG and Monitor 1 on 6700?
I don't think we're exactly on the same wavelength. I'm not talking about using the tv's speakers, but rather audio sourced from the tv (whether that be over-the-air, built-in apps, or sources plugged into the tv directly). If all your audio is sourced thru the avr separately from the tv, all you need is an hdmi connection from avr to tv and use the appropriate hdmi input on the tv for viewing.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Yes

I should have mentioned I will also be using Apple TV4K as streamer for all net services, etc with the Denon handling everything with Audio

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes

I should have mentioned I will also be using Apple TV4K as streamer for all net services, etc with the Denon handling everything with Audio
Where are you plugging in the Apple TV, tho....to the avr or to the tv?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then it doesn't matter which hdmi port on the tv (as long as you select that for using the display of course).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn’t put all of your eggs in one basket. I also have an Apple TV 4K and all devices into the AVR and still use ARC. Good to have a backup streamer and YouTube on Apple TV 4K still won’t do 4K HDR @60fps. It plays it back in HD 1440. Won’t hurt anything to use eARC ports. Then, you can compare quality of streams from the LG TV vs the Apple TV.

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So I hooked up the lg hdmi 2 arc to the denon arc/earc

Then Apple 4k tv to media player hdmi on Denon.

When I go to Apple settings to choose audio it only shows option for INTERNAL TV SPEAKERS??

Is this normal behavior?

I double checked arc enabled all around

Thanks

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
kinda bummed - to find out that APPLE TV4K and the LG GX77 dont play so nice together???

I had intentionally wired ethernet just to the ATV4K and NOT the TV and now I see that the quality of the Apple tv is not so good with net streaming like YOU TUBE TV and Netflix!

If I go the LG streaming route I only have wifi thru google mesh! Not cool

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...Smacks @fast fred in the head for not running network cabling to ALL locations!!!

It does look like (from your other photo) that you could run a network wire up the wall to the TV. That would be a very simple thing to do if you want hard wired network at the TV and currently only have it below at the receiver location. Like... super easy.

If you need it at both locations, just get a cheap gigabit network switch. It acts as a splitter for your network connection. Not sure how networking literate you are, but network switches are just like splitters. You plug it into your network and you can have a bunch more hard wire connections available.

I use this one all the time...

They do the job, are inexpensive, and give you 4 extra network connections at the equipment location.
They also have models which have 8 or a LOT more connections should you need it at any location.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
...Smacks @fast fred in the head for not running network cabling to ALL locations!!!

It does look like (from your other photo) that you could run a network wire up the wall to the TV.
IMG_5484.jpeg
That would be a very simple thing to do if you want hard wired network at the TV and currently only have it below at the receiver location. Like... super easy.

If you need it at both locations, just get a cheap gigabit network switch. It acts as a splitter for your network connection. Not sure how networking literate you are, but network switches are just like splitters. You plug it into your network and you can have a bunch more hard wire connections available.

I use this one all the time...

They do the job, are inexpensive, and give you 4 extra network connections at the equipment location.
They also have models which have 8 or a LOT more connections should you need it at any location.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis