LG GX77 & Denon 6700 hookup

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Kinda hard now - wall is closed in!
If you have network down at the AV receiver... literally 3 feet away, then it's EXTREMELY EASY! Just run a wire down the wall. You literally just DROP A WIRE DOWN THE WALL BEHIND THE TV! It's like 101 level basic to do this. Yes, your TV needs to come down so you don't damage it, but it is less than a one hour project. Maybe two for a rookie.

This video shows how to do it pretty well. But, I think I saw your other photo where you already have a box in place. Just pull out the box that's in place and run the wire down along with your HDMI cable and pull it out next to your AV receiver, then plug it into a network switch.

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Not that easy

It’s loaded with foam insulation

Will need to do some cutting and drilling to snake the cable up

Thanks

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
How does one set the default sound as “surround” when switching between LG tv steaming and other devices?

I noticed the Denon 6700 set itself to Stereo??

The sound was not good

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it's like my older Denon it can remember your preference for sound mode for both input and a particular format from that input. If you don't make any choices it'll play the format as received. I assume in your case the audio incoming signal was 2.0/stereo.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Switch to the desired device for playback. If sound is set to stereo for an incoming signal, press the green movie button on the remote control to switch from stereo to surround mode. The last mode used for an input should remain when returning to that input from another. The options available to you will depend on the encoded content. Refer to pages 151-163 of the manual for sound mode information and options.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
^ Reading manuals is an excellent way to learn how to operate equipment.

Z

zewolf

Audiophyte
The HDMI ports that support ARC or EARC are marked on both the LG and the Denon, so connect them with a cable. I thin that thre should be onle one HDMI on LG and Denon that supports ARC. In the LG settings do not enable EARC unless your Denon supports that. When I did that for my older Denon AVR I got issues with no sound.
Where you able to make it work again on your older denon ? Since the update last week , my arc sync between my lg cx and denon 1300w stop working and i tried everything. Help !!!

V

Volt

Enthusiast
Hey guys, so do I just hook up to the HDMI or EARC port on the LG?
I will have the Denon of course handle all the processing but I forget which port to use on the LG and Denon.

Thanks!
For hooking up your LG GX to your Denon 6700 I would do the following. I have the LG CX and Denon 6700. And I have all the audio playing on my 5.1.2 speakers.

Take a HDMI cable and connect it to the HDMI Port 2 on the side of my LG CX. That's the only eARC/ARC HDMI port on it. Now connect that to the back of my Denon 6700 to the 9th HDMI port over. They are labeled 1 to 7. But the last 3 are not numbered. The 9th port over is labeeld as "MONITOR 1 ARC eARC". It's the only ARC/eARC HDMI port on back of the Denon 6700. See my screenshots for both.

On my LG CX I need to check a few settings. These might be the default settings. So just check, and make changes accordingly.
On basic settings my Sound Out should have HDMI ARC selected
Or, under ALL SETTINGS/SOUND/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
also under ALL SETTINGS/SOUND/Additional Settings/eARC = ON
also under ALL SETTINGS/SOUND/Additional Settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = HDMI 2 Bitstream

Have that all going you'll be set. When I watch WandaVision on the Disney+ App, which is running on my LG CX, it will now send the audio from the LG CX to the Denon Receiver, through the eARC/ARC to play out onto my 5.1.2 in ATMOS. It sounds glorious. In fact, any audio that is coming from the TV, winds up on my 5.1.2 speakers.

You have 3 more HDMI ports on your LG GX, to add more devices. Like an Apple 4K TV or a PS5 or XBOX. Let's say it's a PS5.
PS5 to LG GX (sending video and audio) You'll see the video. But not hear anything on the TV's speakers.
LG GX to DENON (sending audio)
Denon to your speakers (sending audio) is now playing the audio from the PS5 routed through your LG GX to your Denon's speakers.

You also have 7 HDMI input ports on your DENON. So you could connect the PS5 to one of those ports instead of the back of the LG GX. Audio would still go out to your Denon's speakers. While the video from it gets routed through the Denon and plays on the LG GX.

Attachments

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Where you able to make it work again on your older denon ? Since the update last week , my arc sync between my lg cx and denon 1300w stop working and i tried everything. Help !!!
HDMI is finicky. I first went through the HDMI-CEC settings in various devices. From avsforum I read that there is a "soft reset" by simply powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes. Then plug back in and power on the TV first, wait 5 seconds, AVR, wait 5 seconds, and finally the source device. Worked for me.

After that there is even a reset on can do for the receiver and instructions for that you can find in the official Denon thread (by year) for your model. 2016 I believe.

Edit:

The AVSFroum thread for your Denon: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-official-2016-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owners-thread-faq.2444306/

In the third post, section 11, subsection k and m there is info on how to fix HDMI dropout:

"
k. HDMI Handshake Issues (audio/video dropouts): Handshake issues will most often present as "audio dropouts" or sometimes video display issues. Ensure the source device having the issue has the latest firmware installed and has been reset (ie. powered down, unplugged for a few minutes, then powered back ON again). For a more detailed HDMI reset try the following procedure ....
  • HDMI HDCP reset
  • With all devices powered on, remove the two HDMI cables at both ends from the source device to the AVR and from the AVR to the TV.
  • Power off all devices and disconnect power cables to all devices.
  • Wait 10-15 minutes.
  • Reconnect HDMI and power cables to all devices.
  • Power on the devices in this order ... TV, wait a few secs, AVR, wait a few secs, and then source device (although this is the generally recommended order, in some instances, you may have better luck powering on the AVR first and then the TV, then the source last ... bottom line if it's still not working, try a different power on sequence).
If the issue only involves the cable/sat box, HDMI handshake issues with cable/sat boxes are quite common (with any brand of AVR) and are usually always the fault of the cable/sat box not being designed to be connected to an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR) which is why they work without issue connected directly to the TV. Give your cable/sat box provider a call to see if there is a separate firmware update that can be applied to the box to resolve the issue although note that in some cases, a future firmware update to the cable/sat box may very well cause an HDMI handshake issue as well, so your best option to avoid the issue now (or in the future) is to connect the cable/sat box HDMI directly to the TV and also connect an optical cable from the cable/sat box to the AVR for surround audio. If you don't have an optical cable available, and your cable/sat box has a coax digital "orange" output, you can also use a coax digital cable (note: a "yellow" composite video RCA cable is a suitable substitute) and connect it to the SAT/CBL coax digital input on the AVR (ie. right next to the optical jack). Note that with this configuration (ie. HDMI straight to TV) you will lose the GUI/status menu for the cable/sat box, but you retain the capability to watch TV using the TV speakers only with the AVR in Standby (eg. news, sports, wife, kids). Another option, if your AVR features a component video input is to connect both a component video cable and an optical (or digital coax) cable from the cable/sat box to the AVR noting that although you gain the GUI/status menu feature, you will lose the capability to watch TV using the TV speakers only. You may also want to try upgrading to a different model cable/sat box.

Other possible solutions:

• Try inserting an HDMI switch in between the AVR and the TV (or better yet add either an HDMI Dective Plus or Dr HDMI).
  • Ensure there is proper ventilation around the AVR (at least 3-4" above the unit) and if enclosed in a cabinet, use a PC fan to exhaust the heated air out the back of the cabinet
  • HDMI performance can also vary between the different HDMI input jacks due to quirks of circuit board design so be sure to try each of the other HDMI inputs as one may work better than another
  • With the (S920W/X2300W) and higher models, if you are having a video issue, try setting the "Resolution" setting to the resolution of the TV(eg. 1080p) rather than using the "Auto" setting.
  • Try inserting the Dr. HDMI between the AVR and the TV/PJ.
m. Intermittent HDMI audio/video: Other than the possibility of an HDMI handshake, try connecting the HDMI cable to each of the other inputs on the AVR to determine if one HDMI jack works better for you with that input (previous year's models have shown that HDMI1 and HDMI2 react differently than the other inputs). Also try all the HDMI inputs on your TV as well as ensuring there is a tight, secure connection at both ends of the HDMI cable as sometimes the cable can just be loose. Note that just because the HDMI cable works when connected directly to the TV, doesn't necessarily mean it will work when connected to the AVR. When in doubt, try another HDMI cable that is confirmed to work with the AVR. You may also want to try inserting an HDMI switch between the AVR and the TV.

"

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
For hooking up your LG GX to your Denon 6700 I would do the following. I have the LG CX and Denon 6700. And I have all the audio playing on my 5.1.2 speakers.

Take a HDMI cable and connect it to the HDMI Port 2 on the side of my LG CX. That's the only eARC/ARC HDMI port on it. Now connect that to the back of my Denon 6700 to the 9th HDMI port over. They are labeled 1 to 7. But the last 3 are not numbered. The 9th port over is labeeld as "MONITOR 1 ARC eARC". It's the only ARC/eARC HDMI port on back of the Denon 6700. See my screenshots for both.

On my LG CX I need to check a few settings. These might be the default settings. So just check, and make changes accordingly.
On basic settings my Sound Out should have HDMI ARC selected
Or, under ALL SETTINGS/SOUND/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
also under ALL SETTINGS/SOUND/Additional Settings/eARC = ON
also under ALL SETTINGS/SOUND/Additional Settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = HDMI 2 Bitstream

Have that all going you'll be set. When I watch WandaVision on the Disney+ App, which is running on my LG CX, it will now send the audio from the LG CX to the Denon Receiver, through the eARC/ARC to play out onto my 5.1.2 in ATMOS. It sounds glorious. In fact, any audio that is coming from the TV, winds up on my 5.1.2 speakers.

You have 3 more HDMI ports on your LG GX, to add more devices. Like an Apple 4K TV or a PS5 or XBOX. Let's say it's a PS5.
PS5 to LG GX (sending video and audio) You'll see the video. But not hear anything on the TV's speakers.
LG GX to DENON (sending audio)
Denon to your speakers (sending audio) is now playing the audio from the PS5 routed through your LG GX to your Denon's speakers.

You also have 7 HDMI input ports on your DENON. So you could connect the PS5 to one of those ports instead of the back of the LG GX. Audio would still go out to your Denon's speakers. While the video from it gets routed through the Denon and plays on the LG GX.
Thanks fo taking the time to post this tip - amazing - your are very helpful

I have only one cable from the Denon to the LG - as you described - everything else I have going to the Denon - ATV, Nintendo etc

I will check these settings tonight on the LG GX

Cheers!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis