What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice Eppie! Looking at your pic makes me want to listen to some records. Yours is all shiny and new too.

I'm all digital now and have no intentions of going vinyl, but I have pleasant memories of listening to it on my uncles' systems back in the late 70's when I was a kid. My uncle David introduced me to AC/DC when I was 8 or 9! Vinyl was hifi for the day and I totally get why people love it so much. Playing vinyl gets you more involved with the equipment and medium. Watching the record spin, the way the needle rides the groove... it's just cool. I don't find the occasional pop or crackle overly offensive either.
I have AC/DC Powerage on red vinyl. :) Also Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock (Bon Scott fan).
I have more digital, but a lot of my vinyl I don't have digital copies. I also inherited my father's classical collection which has no digital reissues. To purchase it all in digital would be a significant investment but I suppose I could buy a lot of music for what the TT cost. :) Yes, some of it is nostalgia and reliving my youth but I also like the challenge of improving the sound in both formats. Since I like classic rock the digital copies are usually re-engineered and sometimes the reissue can be worse, so it's fun to compare.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I picked this up to replace the Oppo 203 that I sold. Sony X700 Big step down overall but considering how few disc's I have been using I think it will be fine. The item I am buying with the money I made off the Oppo will be coming. Want to wait until the new owner has the player and is happy. Also gong to make my cables a bit more purdy.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Sold my Integra 5.1 AVR today on Craigslist and bought some stuff from Ikea. Haven't been there in years. Stay tuned on my thread for the setup. Dunno if I'll set it up tonight or tomorrow been running around all day. o_O Congrats on the turntable goodness guys!
IMG_15022021_164057_(2100_x_1575_pixel).jpg

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
I picked this up to replace the Oppo 203 that I sold. Sony X700 Big step down overall but considering how few disc's I have been using I think it will be fine. The item I am buying with the money I made off the Oppo will be coming. Want to wait until the new owner has the player and is happy. Also gong to make my cables a bit more purdy.

I've had the X700 for awhile. Decent picture quality but its internal DAC probably doesn't measure up to the Oppo's (but irrelevant if you're using an AVR). Use the X700 as a back-up streamer, though when I bought it only Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime, and Hulu were pre-installed--and you can't add apps.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
So I now have my new toy ordered. This will replace the P3/A23/ZDAC setup that I had been using. I have moved the A23/ZDAC to handle my whole house audio and sold the P3 and Oppo 203. I brought my Dali's home and am setting up my two channel setup in my loft office. Behold the Denon PMA-1600NE integrated amplifier.

I will use my new Raspberry Pi running RoPieee as my endpoint for Roon playback.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally broke down and bought this for my turntable

View attachment 44380

I was tired of having to wash my hands and move the belt to the other part of the pully to play 45s. I don't expect to hear a sound improvement from a better speed stability perspective that this box supposedly offers.
I received an email last week stating that they no longer have them in stock nor will they receive any new ones because its been discontinued.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I received an email last week stating that they no longer have them in stock nor will they receive any new ones because its been discontinued.
That stinks. Going to try eBay?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Where are you located? My dealer in tax-free New Hampshire might have one, I could check.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
PSB Stratus Goldi's!

IMG_20210220_0625088_copy_1622x2164.jpg

Got these from the original owner.. had to make a 500+mile round trip. But they are in immaculate condition. I paid a little more than the median going price I've seen, but it was worth it for the like-new condition.

But here's the thing... when I got them home and started listening to them in the living room... they sucked! WTF happened to the sound I heard in the owner's house? I mean if I cranked them really loud it was nice, but my receiver got very hot.

So I recalled that the seller had his fed by a Parasound HCA series amp. I had heard that these need a really robust amplifier, but I guess the proof's in the pudding.

That revelation then led to...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
PSB Stratus Goldi's!

View attachment 44868

Got these from the original owner.. had to make a 500+mile round trip. But they are in immaculate condition. I paid a little more than the median going price I've seen, but it was worth it for the like-new condition.

But here's the thing... when I got them home and started listening to them in the living room... they sucked! WTF happened to the sound I heard in the owner's house? I mean if I cranked them really loud it was nice, but my receiver got very hot.

So I recalled that the seller had his fed by a Parasound HCA series amp. I had heard that these need a really robust amplifier, but I guess the proof's in the pudding.

Another 500+ mile round trip to buy his used amp? :D
#synergy!
:p
:cool:

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

led to...

Niles SI-275!

IMG_20210220_0626279_copy_1622x1216.jpg

Okay so this has to be the most ridiculously good thing going in hifi right now. For $100 plus shipping on ebay I have a high-current amplifier, stable down to 2.7 ohms, with audio-sensing auto turn on and daisy chain RCA output, and over 100 clean w/p/c at 4 ohms!

And it doesn't look out of place in an AV or hifi system, to boot!

So, unfortunately I found out the hard way that the Denon DRA-800h (yeah I bought a 2-channel AVR; I'm that guy :p) doesn't have a true preamp output. Don't even get me started on that "Zone 2" bullsh!t. It is not the same, and you can't make it the same. Ultimately I had to get a 1/4 headphone to stereo RCA cable in order to preamp the Niles.

Bu... oh... damn...

THAT is exactly what the doctor ordered for the Stratus Gold's! Suddenly everything I had read about these speakers came to life. With good amplification behind them they are true beasts.

And even after jamming out to tunes and playing the action scenes from Netflix' "Outside the Wire" at house-shaking levels, the amp wasn't even warm to the touch. Insane.

Probably going to replace the Denon with a Marantz NR1200, which has a true preamp output. That way I get to keep HEOS. I don't like the headphone jack hookup and I wouldn't mind being able to bi-amp the PSB's.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Today our custom combination dog crate/entertainment center got delivered!

IMG_20210220_1632321_copy_1622x1216.jpg

IMG_20210220_1632408_copy_1622x1216.jpg

IMG_20210220_1632551_copy_1622x1216.jpg

IMG_20210220_1634368_copy_1622x1216.jpg

A guy in Yorktown has his barn converted into a woodworking shop and he built us this. It's solid poplar from top to bottom, and the top platform is 6' wide and 2' deep. His workmanship is amazing. If anyone in SE VA area wants his info, by all means let me know by PM.

It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't Chinese. One of those things you buy once and enjoy forever.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
PSB Stratus Goldi's!

View attachment 44868

Nice! My friend had those back in the day (90s). I recall them sounding very dynamic with impressive midrange presence--esp vocals. He was using Sonic Frontiers monoblocks to drive them. You can always get a Monoprice Monolith 2x200 amp ($1099), provided your receiver has pre-amp outs with adequate output voltage.

Edit: Didn't see your post on the Niles. Problem solved.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Today our custom combination dog crate/entertainment center got delivered!

View attachment 44871
View attachment 44872
View attachment 44873
View attachment 44874

A guy in Yorktown has his barn converted into a woodworking shop and he built us this. It's solid poplar from top to bottom, and the top platform is 6' wide and 2' deep. His workmanship is amazing. If anyone in SE VA area wants his info, by all means let me know by PM.

It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't Chinese. One of those things you buy once and enjoy forever.
Where the hell are the fans!? I got a fuzzy feeling. Man what a lucky pup. :p

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Since I've moved on past the "audiophile speaker feet" mythos, I've been using Penn Elcom 9106 feet on all my speakers. Large, tough, hard rubber. You can get a pack of 8 off ebay for about $25 shipped.

IMG_20210220_1915305_copy_1216x911.jpg

IMG_20210220_1915403_copy_1216x911.jpg

IMG_20210220_1915565_copy_1216x1622.jpg

IMG_20210131_1805340_copy_1216x1622.jpg

I recommend to use a 1" o.d. washer so the screws don't dig into the rubber itself.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis