Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I found out My neighbor was rushed to the hospital via ambulance last night with Covid. He was first diagnosed 1/30/2021 and was quarantined at home. I saw him out walking on Sunday.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Time for an update.

First the good news. The UK Recovery trial in 2022 patients which was double blind, showed that Dexamethasone combined with the Tocilizumab reduced the inpatient hospital mortality of patients with Covid-19 by 50%. This is highly significant. The trial was carried out by Oxford university in partnership with the Wellcome trust.
Tocilizumab is a synthetic antibody that block the IL-6 receptors giving it a powerful anti inflammatory effect.

Data from Israel shows the effect of vaccinations. They have vaccinated over 40% of their population now, from the elderly down. When 40% of the population had been vaccinated then age 60, became the crossover age of hospitalized patients. As the number of people vaccinated above 40% increases then the rate of those hospitalized with Covid-19 progressively diverges so that there are progressively more hospitalizations in under than over 60 year olds.

The UK is vaccinating fast and also continuing robust restrictions. The R rate is now below 1 for the first time since July. That means the epidemic is waning there.

The viral mutations are of great concern. The Kent variation is of concern. It is predominant in the UK and will be in the US. The new strain identified in California, is thought to have originated from the Kent strain and has minor differences. Both are 80% more infectious by current data and may be up to 50% more lethal, but certainly 30% more lethal. The good news is that the current vaccines seem to be highly effective against that variant.

The most concerning news is the South African variant. This is significantly impairing vaccine effectiveness. Even more worrying it is infecting significant numbers of people who have recovered from previous strains. Not only that, they are getting ill with it. This could be because of a double dose of vascular damage.

The Oxford data in SA, was complete before this variant was in circulation. The variant must be more infectious as it has become the dominant strain in SA. Mortality in the whole of Africa is increasing alarmingly, so presumably this variant is spreading. A point to note, a more infectious variant will kill more people than an increase in virulence.

So J & J vaccine was only 60% effective against the SA starin and Novavax 57%. However ICU cases and deaths were severely reduced. It does mean though that the vaccines do need to be adjusted to better immunize against this virus.

The Brazilian strain, appears to have rapidly evolved to become virtually identical with the UK strain.

The UK reported a new strain from Bristol this week. Its infectiousness is the same as the Kent strain as far as can be gleaned from preliminary data.

The UK is providing essential assistance to the US in improving and setting up rapid genome decoding this side of the Atlantic.
Oxford have assisted the contractor making the Astrazeneca/Oxford vaccine in Belgium. Vaccinations continue to progress in the EU at a snail's pace.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That is because they stole the Oxford research. It is identical to the Oxford vaccine with a different viral vector. It is an mDNA vaccine.
Odd. There's not a single reference I can find in multiple searches that support your accusation.

highfigh

highfigh

It may be only, as you say, hypothetical. But it's completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Where is any evidence that might support such a hypothetical idea? If this virus had been out among people in China, how could it be confined to only China? We have all witnessed how rapidly it spread.
Utterly batshit crazy – not worthy of further comment. Stop believing Faux News.
I'LL REPEAT IT FOR THE CHEAP SEATS- I DON'T WATCH FOX NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was asking questions, that's all. You took it upon yourself to say that it might be hypothetical, then crap all over me as if I stated it as fact.

highfigh

highfigh

It's so batshit crazy that you even edited out the OP name from your quote in the vain hope he would delete his post, and that is mighty kind of you :D

Edit: Spelling
As if it would be difficult to see who posted it.

You need to read ALL of the words, too- I wrote 'hypothetical' for all to see, yet you guys completely ignored it.

Answer questions, don't look for agendas that don't exist.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That is because they stole the Oxford research. It is identical to the Oxford vaccine with a different viral vector.
As far as I knew, using various adenovirus strains as vectors for vaccines as well as for gene therapy is an idea that's been around for a long time. The researchers at the Jenner Inst. were the first, or among the first, to actually get this working in the vaccine setting, but I don't know if they have international patents. Pharmaceutical R&D has been the subject of theft and corporate espionage for a long time. Ask Johnson & Johnson if they stole intellectual property from the Jenner Inst., or the Russians.
It is an mDNA vaccine.
I know what mRNA is, and I always thought mDNA refers to mitochondrial DNA (sometimes known as mtDNA), but what is the definition of mDNA, especially in the context of recombinant DNA vaccines?

Here are but a few definitions for the mDNA acronym that I found:
http://acronymsandslang.com/MDNA-meaning.html

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Odd. There's not a single reference I can find in multiple searches that support your accusation.
It was widely reported in the UK press some months ago, that the Russians had hacked to computers at the Jenner Institute and stolen data. The Oxford vaccine uses a monkey adenovirus, sputnik uses two human adenoviruses.

There was a long interview with Professor Sarah Gibert to Andrew Marr last Sunday morning. I still have it downloaded to iPlayer. She spoke at length about vaccines. She gives such clear concise answers. She is a professor in the best sense of the world. Anyhow she said the Sputnik was a good vaccine. She has been in discussions with the Russians about using one dose of Oxford and one of Sputnik. She wants to trial it, as she thinks it likely will increase immunity. She also thinks that combining either with the J & J vaccine would also likely increase immunity. She is hoping to have an enhanced version of the Oxford vaccine providing better immunity to the SA variant by September.

The new Oxford plant that can produce a variety of platforms should be ready around that time also. That will allow the Jenner institute to also do work on mRNA vaccines as well. The plan is to perfect being able to quickly alter vaccines as the virus mutates and attempt to keep ahead.

In addition they want to be able to have a vaccine ready to go into arms within four months of any novel virus arising that could produce another pandemic. That will require a different regulatory requirement for vaccine introduction in pandemics. The UK authorities would likely get on board with a phase 1 trail. and then doing the other phases concurrent with a general roll out.

This pandemic touched the young lightly and children barely at all. If we have a future pandemic that affected all age groups equally and with a high mortality, then this phase 1,2 and 3 study and waiting another two months after that would not be tenable. These discussions and policies need to be had, and made, well before the next pandemic.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It was widely reported in the UK press some months ago, that the Russians had hacked to computers at the Jenner Institute and stolen data. The Oxford vaccine uses a monkey adenovirus, sputnik uses two human adenoviruses.
Okay, I got a couple of hits about the Russians "trying" to hack Jenner. Nothing definitive about it being successful.

There was a long interview with Professor Sarah Gibert to Andrew Marr last Sunday morning. I still have it downloaded to iPlayer. She spoke at length about vaccines. She gives such clear concise answers. She is a professor in the best sense of the world. Anyhow she said the Sputnik was a good vaccine. She has been in discussions with the Russians about using one dose of Oxford and one of Sputnik. She wants to trial it, as she thinks it likely will increase immunity. She also thinks that combining either with the J & J vaccine would also likely increase immunity. She is hoping to have an enhanced version of the Oxford vaccine providing better immunity to the SA variant by September.
The combination of vaccines notion is being widely discussed in the press. Here's a Nature article; there are a lot of others, but I like Nature better:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'LL REPEAT IT FOR THE CHEAP SEATS- I DON'T WATCH FOX NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was asking questions, that's all. You took it upon yourself to say that it might be hypothetical, then crap all over me as if I stated it as fact.

From the columnist Max Boot:

"When Donald Trump was in office, he posed the most dangerous threat to American democracy. With the former president now golfing full-time, the most dangerous threat may well emanate from the Fox “News” Channel — and specifically from its top-rated host, Tucker Carlson. He seems to be on a mission to make America’s worst problems even worse.​
Carlson has a long history of pushing vaccine conspiracy theories that endanger people’s lives. On Tuesday night, he attacked covid-19 vaccines, claiming without providing any evidence that “the way the authorities handled the covid vaccine did not inspire confidence,” “all these people [were] lying about it” and “the most powerful people in America worked to make certain that no one could criticize it.” He never did say what these lies supposedly were — he just left his audience with the impression that the vaccines are part of a plot against them by powerful, shadowy forces. One fact Carlson did not mention: His boss, Rupert Murdoch, has already been vaccinated. His conspiracy mongering is likely to discourage Fox News’s elderly viewers — who are at the highest risk of dying of covid-19 — from getting safe and effective vaccines that could save their lives.​
...​
No one is trying to punish Fox News for expressing “slightly different” views. I am a staunch believer in free speech. I spent most of my life in the conservative movement. (Carlson and I were once affiliated with the same magazine — the Weekly Standard.) I welcome a debate that features conservative views.​
But that is not what Carlson represents. He is peddling lunatic conspiracy theories that endanger people’s lives and shred our social fabric. The executives at Fox News — and at the cable systems that carry it — should be ashamed of themselves for beaming this dangerous claptrap into millions of homes."​

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Most of us who served in the military during the Cold War quickly learned to never underestimate the Russians. Their science & technology can be good, especially if you challenge them. Russian politicians can bluff like no one else, and until now, that was the problem with the Sputnik vaccine. It was highly touted by a politician, Putin.
I remember when Putin first rose to power I asked a Russian woman I knew what she thought about him. Her response: "He is KGB." The way she said it conveyed a loathing and contempt that is hard to put into words. It was also clear she thought it was an idiotic question, so that was the end of the conversation.

It stuck with me over the years. "He is KGB" explains almost everything worth explaining.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I remember when Putin first rose to power I asked a Russian woman I knew what she thought about him.

It stuck with me over the years. "He is KGB" explains almost everything worth explaining.
I'll go one further...... 'he is KGB thug'!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I will say this. This campaign to bring this pandemic under control has been regarded by many in the UK, as another "Battle of Britain" moment. Not be accident have excuses been found for increased numbers of Spitfires and Hurricanes to do fly pasts. Unfortunately nigh on a year has gone by with an American President wilfully disengaged from this crisis. The EU is stuck in an administrative quagmire of its own making.

As I, and many, have stressed over and over again, no one is safe until we all our safe. So the whole world has to be vaccinated ASAP. The only way to stop these mutations, which could really set us back, is to stop transmission. That is why vaccinating the whole world, and getting it done in record time is so vital.

As in World War II, it is going to take the full mobilisation of the USA and its entire industrial might to get this job done. The UK is too small with not enough resources to get this job done by itself. I see the major players in this being the US, India, the UK and possibly Russia.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

"When Donald Trump was in office, he posed the most dangerous threat to American democracy. With the former president now golfing full-time, the most dangerous threat may well emanate from the Fox “News” Channel — and specifically from its top-rated host, Tucker Carlson. He seems to be on a mission to make America’s worst problems even worse.​
Carlson has a long history of pushing vaccine conspiracy theories that endanger people’s lives. On Tuesday night, he attacked covid-19 vaccines, claiming without providing any evidence that “the way the authorities handled the covid vaccine did not inspire confidence,” “all these people [were] lying about it” and “the most powerful people in America worked to make certain that no one could criticize it.” He never did say what these lies supposedly were — he just left his audience with the impression that the vaccines are part of a plot against them by powerful, shadowy forces. One fact Carlson did not mention: His boss, Rupert Murdoch, has already been vaccinated. His conspiracy mongering is likely to discourage Fox News’s elderly viewers — who are at the highest risk of dying of covid-19 — from getting safe and effective vaccines that could save their lives.​
...​
No one is trying to punish Fox News for expressing “slightly different” views. I am a staunch believer in free speech. I spent most of my life in the conservative movement. (Carlson and I were once affiliated with the same magazine — the Weekly Standard.) I welcome a debate that features conservative views.​
But that is not what Carlson represents. He is peddling lunatic conspiracy theories that endanger people’s lives and shred our social fabric. The executives at Fox News — and at the cable systems that carry it — should be ashamed of themselves for beaming this dangerous claptrap into millions of homes."​
At the risk of further sidetracking this into politics, I'm assuming you know this, but Carlson avoided liability in the McDougal slander case on the basis that his show is so wacky (my words) that no one would think he's stating actual facts. His appeal is a mystery to me.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
At the risk of further sidetracking this into politics, I'm assuming you know this, but Carlson avoided liability in the McDougal slander case on the basis that his show is so wacky (my words) that no one would think he's stating actual facts. His appeal is a mystery to me.

It's very unfortunate that just not wearing a mask is a Republican political statement as this will make it very hard to convince them of taking proper precautions or even take a vaccine. That said, anti-vaxxers are all over the political spectrum, but I believe that the Republicans thinking that Covid is a hoax is not in general opposed to vaccines.

highfigh

highfigh

...​
Thanks for posting that, I guess, but again, I don't listen to Fox. Tucker Carlson reminds me of a frat boy whose dad got him a job.

Did you not see where I wrote "What if..."?

I was looking for responses that pertained to it, not you two attacking me for it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis