New Here & Looking for Advice About Everything!

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
I have gone from vid to tv & sound to the stereo to now: hdmi to stereo reciever (Sony). The Sony is dying & I want to replace it with something with more volume, LOUDER! I worked with heavy equipment for 40 years and my hearing is very bad. I have 2 recievers & 2 weeks to decide which to return.
1, Yamaha TSR7850
2, DENON AVRS750H

Have Klipsch tower speakers,
Technics SB CR-77 (3 way) speakers, old but sound good?
No sub-woofers (my high frequency hearing is shot) (the technics have 12" woofers)
Have '4' Teac CS F401 speakers given to me, never used

What does anybody & everybody have to say/recommend?

Thanks, cornemuse

edit: I'm having issues understanding the two recievers instructions, just listing what I now have, , , ,
The SB-CR77's you have are 3 way, 3 speaker bass reflex
100 watts RMS, 200 Watts Max
Sensitivity- 90db
12" woofer, 4" midrange,
Tweeter 2.5" cone type
40-22 frequency
28" height, 14" width, 10.5" depth

On your previous question, try to balance out the media sound until you get the level to your loudness preferences and without distortion, don't get caught up in the receiver's volume numbers, 70 etc., the most important thing is not to utlize the setup with distortion as this could damage your speakers.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not writing this to start a conflict, I'm only trying to learn, as you wrote 100 db's are hard to find, so why are others recommending these speakers, judging by the new Crutchfield price, these are $2600 for the pair, the original poster reported that his hearing is not as good as it once was, why in God's name does he need such an expensive set of speakers or for that matter an expensive rarity?

QSC K2 series, OK, that gives some info that can be looked up, JBL Eon and JTR speakers, that is helpful.

OK, looked up the first two, they are sold as loudspeakers for PA systems, again, this poster wants to watch loud movies/tv and listen to music, these recommendations seem way different than what I've been reading in other threads.

JTR's, looks like again we are in the $2000 to $4000 price range, does this poster seriously need that, I would think a 2 or 3 way tower pair of speakers at Crutchfield for $800 could do the job.
The poster said he wants something louder than what he has at the moment. He has Klipsch towers, so those are bound to be more powerful than the average speaker. The speakers that I listed are more powerful than most Klipsch speakers without being hugely expensive. JBL Eons and QSC K2 speakers are PA speakers yes, but relatively linear speakers as well, meaning they are not bad as home audio speakers, assuming you can accept their looks. The JTR speakers are a bit higher end and are very powerful speakers. No 3-way speaker home audio speaker from crutchfield is going to match those speakers for dynamic range. A typical 3-way tower speaker probably isn't going to have much of a dynamic range advantage over his Klipsch speakers.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
The poster said he wants something louder than what he has at the moment. He has Klipsch towers, so those are bound to be more powerful than the average speaker. The speakers that I listed are more powerful than most Klipsch speakers without being hugely expensive. JBL Eons and QSC K2 speakers are PA speakers yes, but relatively linear speakers as well, meaning they are not bad as home audio speakers, assuming you can accept their looks. The JTR speakers are a bit higher end and are very powerful speakers. No 3-way speaker home audio speaker from crutchfield is going to match those speakers for dynamic range. A typical 3-way tower speaker probably isn't going to have much of a dynamic range advantage over his Klipsch speakers.
OK, I'll defer to your knowledge but 10 years ago at Best Buy those Klipsch speakers were going for $350 each, if true then it is depressing that in order to exceed those speakers he will have to spend upwards of $1200-$1500.

Could he not just add a decent $500 amp to his current setup?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK, I'll defer to your knowledge but 10 years ago at Best Buy those Klipsch speakers were going for $350 each, if true then it is depressing that in order to exceed those speakers he will have to spend upwards of $1200-$1500.

Could he not just add a decent $500 amp to his current setup?
An amp in $500 would give him maybe a 3dB bump in output. I am sure he is looking for more than that. Almost not worth doing for an increase in headroom of only 3dB. But a good live sound speaker will give him way more than a 3dB increase in headroom, and many of them are self-amplified.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Been a long time since I started this, but,

FWIW,
I recently bought a Sony "STR-DH590" AVR. Its apparently the (or one of the) succesors to my old sony. It is 5.1 or 5.2, actually serves me just fine. I can crank up the volume (& a lotta time even turn off the subtitles), and no distortion in the sound. So, I finally got what I was looking for.
Only issue (besides Sonys lousy customer support) is has only 4 hdmi inputs. Which I can live with. And, it is/was the lowest priced unit I tried, under $300.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That actually is the best way to go if the goal is louder. Higher sensitivity speakers will get you there a lot more efficiently than trying to throw hundreds of watts at the situation. Less chance of melting your speakers too...
Yeah any amp can run
My onkyo 818 didn’t break a sweat running Klipch icons , I only had issues when I tried to passive avr bi amp once but it didn’t do anything except run amplifier too hot no reason to do that .

I’ve not had techniques but there pretty old you will need a subwoofer if you want heavy bass . Run them full range might work or down to 40hz but won’t replace a sub. I’ve passed on a few pairs of those older tower speakers .. people want high prices even gooodwill wanted $100.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Been a long time since I started this, but,

FWIW,
I recently bought a Sony "STR-DH590" AVR. Its apparently the (or one of the) succesors to my old sony. It is 5.1 or 5.2, actually serves me just fine. I can crank up the volume (& a lotta time even turn off the subtitles), and no distortion in the sound. So, I finally got what I was looking for.
Only issue (besides Sonys lousy customer support) is has only 4 hdmi inputs. Which I can live with. And, it is/was the lowest priced unit I tried, under $300.
Wow cheap , glad you like it . I was considering the 7.2 ch one for $350 but scrapped that plan . No access to my little bit of money I have left ,
Does it produce enough bass? I’d add a subwoofer eventually for more impact . They make a big difference, handle lower bass well we’re towers run out of steam sometimes.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
My low freq is not nearly as bad as my high frequency, so not as big issue. Hearing still sucks tho, , , ,

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Another issue with the Sony STR-DH590 is (mainly very annoying), is every time I turn it on, it asks what I want to do, every time. This is the first stereo that asks this, every other one just starts at previous setting, (if it was connected to cable box for instance, just start there, , , , but, no, I must select option or click on 'cable box' or whatever. If I click on (option) 'listen' I get sound but no video, click 'watch' & get no sound etc. Cable remote starts both avr and (sony) TV AVR remote only starts avr. Go figure.
-c-

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis