Streamer and cable recommendation for my Marantz PM-6007

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The WXC 50 uses 2 DAC chips, a BurrBrown PCM5101 chip for the optical input/source and a ESS Sabre 9006 chip for all the other sources (NAS, USB input, musiccast, etc).
There don't seem to be reasons to route the optical input to the PCM5101. It looks to me the PCM5101 is for the aux out.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How easy is it to hear the 10dB difference when the furnace is blowing, the fridge compressor and fan are operating or ears ring? ALL of these will mask it, as does the music. The S/N spec is pretty good- anything over 90dB will be indistinguishable between devices in a normal room, IMO.

I find it hard to call it the 'weak link' when it's better than ANYTHING that was available ten years ago. How did we ever put up with that crap? :)
You know you don't have too convince me on that right? In fact, I suggested the Yamaha, half the price of that Marantz, likely measure (may or may not sound..) better and can do streaming.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
There don't seem to be reasons to route the optical input to the PCM5101. It looks to me the PCM5101 is for the aux out.
Your reasons are not the same as Lord Yammy's reasons. Lord Yammy does the same on their A-S801 integrated amp as well (a.k.a route the opical in to a burrbrown chip...usb etc to a sabre chip).

You could quit your job at Sound United and go work for Lord Yammy. You may then be able to better comprehend his reasons. :D

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
LOL resolving.
Ear wax can make it less resolving
If you drank too many vodka tonics the night before, that quinine can make it less resolving
A Klipsch shtbox can make it less resolving...

You need to change your ways in life to get things more resolving...bwaaahahaha

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Your reasons are not the same as Lord Yammy's reasons. Lord Yammy does the same on their A-S801 integrated amp as well (a.k.a route the opical in to a burrbrown chip...usb etc to a sabre chip).
As for the A-S801, I got my read right from the service manual but it wouldn't be the first time, or tenth times I am wrong regardless.

No idea who lord Yammy is, but he has his worshipers, I guess.:D

You could quit your job at Sound United and go work for Lord Yammy. You may then be able to better comprehend his reasons. :D
I wish I could, but couldn't since I never work there, never would either.. :D If Lord Yammy is Yamaha, of course I'll work for them if they offer me an interesting job. I happened to like their products, including their pianos.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
No idea who lord Yammy is, but he has his worshipers, I guess.:D

I wish I could, but couldn't since I never work there, never would either.. :D If Lord Yammy is Yamaha, of course I'll work for them if they offer me an interesting job. I happened to like their products, including their pianos.
Oh you don't work there?? my bad,,,i thought you, mazer and Lemmerhirt were duly employed by Sound United :D .
In any case, very true, forget the hifi and listen to Lord Yammy unplugged first. When you get a chance to listen to a couple of violins and my piano from Lord Yammy, you will become a believer. Welcome, welcome to the ways of the Yammy. You are finally on the correct path to enlightenment.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh you don't work there?? my bad,,,i thought you, mazer and Lemmerhirt were duly employed by Sound United :D .
In any case, very true, forget the hifi and listen to Lord Yammy unplugged first. When you get a chance to listen to a couple of violins and my piano from Lord Yammy, you will become a believer. Welcome, welcome to the ways of the Yammy. You are finally on the correct path to enlightenment.
Okay enough teasing... Seriously, if you have the service manual for the A-S801, I hope you have the latest revision. On mine, I noted the following info that appears confusing because:

- on page 36, the block diagram clearly show the optical/coaxial inputs are routed to the PCM5101
- it reference page 57/58 (for more details I assume), but you look there, you will see that the optical/coaxial, and the USB DAC input all seems to be routed to the ES9010K2M via some multiplexor/switches/selectors.
- on the parts list, it does no even show the PCM5101, only the ES9010K2M.

Actually when eargiant (some of us would remember him) first post the schematic block diagrams of the A-S801, I told him the PCM5101 was used for the optical/coaxial inputs, only the USB DAC used the Sabre ES9010K2M chip, but after I downloaded the manual and took another detailed look, I then realized the seemingly conflicting info on different pages I noted above.

Now I am suspecting that perhap the block diagram on page 36 may apply only to the A-S701 that does not have a USB DAC module and it has just the one TI DAC. The 701's service manual is also not totally clear as on one page it shows the PCM5101, but PCM5102 on another, and finally on the parts list it only shows the PCM5102.

Either way it isn't a big deal, but since you brought this up, I thought I would share my findings. If you get your info right from Yamaha, that's great, but then I hope they would revise their service manuals. People who pay for the manual deserve to have accurate/clear information.

Oh, back to the WXA-50, again those service manuals don't necessarily show all the details but from as much as I could tell, there is a PCM5101 (unlike the S801's that was clear even on that) and it seems to be used for the aux output that could be used with an external premap/amp, according to the owner's manual.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When you get a chance to listen to a couple of violins and my piano from Lord Yammy, you will become a believer.
I would have to wait for something like a CX-A5300, for now, the only thing Yamaha I own is the piano. I gave away my RX-V659 long time ago.:D

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Okay enough teasing... Seriously, if you have the service manual for the A-S801, I hope you have the latest revision. On mine, I noted the following info that appears confusing because:

- on page 36, the block diagram clearly show the optical/coaxial inputs are routed to the PCM5101
- it reference page 57/58 (for more details I assume), but you look there, you will see that the optical/coaxial, and the USB DAC input all seems to be routed to the ES9010K2M via some multiplexor/switches/selectors.
- on the parts list, it does no even show the PCM5101, only the ES9010K2M.

Actually when eargiant (some of us would remember him) first post the schematic block diagrams of the A-S801, I told him the PCM5101 was used for the optical/coaxial inputs, only the USB DAC used the Sabre ES9010K2M chip, but after I downloaded the manual and took another detailed look, I then realized the seemingly conflicting info on different pages I noted above.

Now I am suspecting that perhap the block diagram on page 36 may apply only to the A-S701 that does not have a USB DAC module and it has just the one TI DAC. The 701's service manual is also not totally clear as on one page it shows the PCM5101, but PCM5102 on another, and finally on the parts list it only shows the PCM5102.

Either way it isn't a big deal, but since you brought this up, I thought I would share my findings. If you get your info right from Yamaha, that's great, but then I hope they would revise their service manuals. People who pay for the manual deserve to have accurate/clear information.

Oh, back to the WXA-50, again those service manuals don't necessarily show all the details but from as much as I could tell, there is a PCM5101 (unlike the S801's that was clear even on that) and it seems to be used for the aux output that could be used with an external premap/amp, according to the owner's manual.
It sounds like the service manuals are a bit messed up between a couple of model numbers. I bought a used A-S801 from a dude few years ago and the USB input developed some issues during power up. I live 30 mins from a Yamaha authorized service tech and was in his shop when he mentioned the above info.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just mechanical clamps to help reduce vibration during testing. At that time the back wasn't glued in place, just held by friction.
The fronts of mine are still held on with friction. I should finish them but I have a bathroom that needs a lot of work......

highfigh

highfigh

Are you doing the offset one too?
No, but I had intended to do more tweaking and left the crossovers outside of the cabinets with the faces loose in case I needed to change anything inside (bracing, final mount for the crossovers, etc). I haven't wanted or heard a need for any tweaking in a long time but other thinks keep getting in the way WRT time and me wanting to do more in a day. I have too many other projects.

What components are in yours? They look familiar.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, but I had intended to do more tweaking and left the crossovers outside of the cabinets with the faces loose in case I needed to change anything inside (bracing, final mount for the crossovers, etc). I haven't wanted or heard a need for any tweaking in a long time but other thinks keep getting in the way WRT time and me wanting to do more in a day. I have too many other projects.

What components are in yours? They look familiar.
I had the crossovers outside too during testing. It was a good thing because something went wrong in one of them, I didn't even notice it until I plot the graphs with REW. It's a lot of work when you have a full time job. It took me and my partner over a year to build the two pairs.

highfigh

highfigh

I had the crossovers outside too during testing. It was a good thing because something went wrong in one of them, I didn't even notice it until I plot the graphs with REW. It's a lot of work when you have a full time job. It took me and my partner over a year to build the two pairs.
I did a lot of driver comparisons before choosing the ones I did- I didn't want to go nuts with expense, but specifically intended to find something that sounds good without breaking the bank. As it is, the crossovers cost much more than the drivers and that's with having a wholesale account with Parts Express.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did a lot of driver comparisons before choosing the ones I did- I didn't want to go nuts with expense, but specifically intended to find something that sounds good without breaking the bank. As it is, the crossovers cost much more than the drivers and that's with having a wholesale account with Parts Express.
It was easy for me, I got the BOM from Dennis.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis