Streamer and cable recommendation for my Marantz PM-6007

S

sand87

Audioholic
I have ordered a Marantz PM-6007 which should arrive this week.

Apart from my dads old Philips DVD player I will mainly use Spotify etc. using airplay.

Hence

1. I need a cost effective streamer only device(no dac needed) that has airplay and bluetooth+coax out. Any recommendations?
2. What brand coaxial cable(I guess I need digital coaxial cable) need I use to take coax-out from the streamer to my PM-6007?

Please advice. Also please note I am in India and hence stuff here are pretty costly.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
What is your budget, hence what is "cost effective" to you? Also, what may be important is what is available to you locally...
Marantz has the NA6006, which retails (here in the US) for $700 - the same as your PM6007 and would match the looks of your integrated.
Primar has their new NP5 for $600
Bluesound Node 2i (my personal favorite) retails here for $550
Yamaha has the WXC-50 for $350

Depending on your budget, there are models from Audiolab, Cambridge Audio, NAD etc. Of course there are many high price models as well...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The cable need not be a famous brand particularly, just a competent coaxial rca cable....you might use any you have on hand first, if it works you're good. Not familiar with branding in India either, but Amazon likely has several good choices at a reasonable price. Can't help you with the streamer, I use a phone/pc in conjunction with wifi for streaming to wifi enabled devices and/or audio chromecast units on my older gear....

S

sand87

Audioholic
The cable need not be a famous brand particularly, just a competent coaxial rca cable....you might use any you have on hand first, if it works you're good. Not familiar with branding in India either, but Amazon likely has several good choices at a reasonable price. Can't help you with the streamer, I use a phone/pc in conjunction with wifi for streaming to wifi enabled devices and/or audio chromecast units on my older gear....
so all this talk about 75ohm mogami or othello reference cables being better aounding etc is snake oil?

S

sand87

Audioholic
What is your budget, hence what is "cost effective" to you? Also, what may be important is what is available to you locally...
Marantz has the NA6006, which retails (here in the US) for $700 - the same as your PM6007 and would match the looks of your integrated.
Primar has their new NP5 for $600
Bluesound Node 2i (my personal favorite) retails here for $550
Yamaha has the WXC-50 for $350

Depending on your budget, there are models from Audiolab, Cambridge Audio, NAD etc. Of course there are many high price models as well...
budget -15000 INR or 250 usd.i actually dont need a streamer with dac.just a streamer that has airplay and blutooth 5 with aptx hd will do

the WXC -50 costs around 22,000 rs(300 usd)in india.and since i dont need the dac i dont find the need to pay that much money for smthng i wont use at all.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
S

sand87

Audioholic
S

sand87

Audioholic
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1439892-REG/marantz_na6006_audiophile_network_audio_player.html
With the NA6006, you may not need a external standalone DAC (depending on how much of a golden ear bat you are)

The Yamaha WXC 50 is primarily designed to be a transport only (you would need a external DAC). The built in DAC on it is no good.

Why do you insist on digital coax? No optical for ya?
With the NA6006, you may not need a external standalone DAC (depending on how much of a golden ear bat you are)
I dont need a standalone Dac.I gues the Marantz PM-6007 already has that.i intend to use that.Hence i said that i only need a streamer capable of hi res BT and airplay 2.

The Yamaha WXC 50 is primarily designed to be a transport only (you would need a external DAC). The built in DAC on it is no good.
I plan to bypass the dac.The only reason i asked yamaha is because till date i have been unable to find a decent cost effective streamer with airplay 2 and bluetooth which can complement my system.I aint interested using
the dac in the streamer

Why do you insist on digital coax? No optical for ya?
Well i saw at many places that the COAX tends to be better than optical in terms of delivering better sound.Before reading this i used to think that HDMI is better than optical which is in turn better than Coax.But after reading many forums and articles it seemed to me that coax is better than optical.Correct me if i got the wrong idea.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The difference in digital delivery is about capability....not particularly one digital format offering anything with "better" sound quality. HDMI can carry a higher bandwidth than optical or coax, which are pretty much the same.

S

sand87

Audioholic
The difference in digital delivery is about capability....not particularly one digital format offering anything with "better" sound quality. HDMI can carry a higher bandwidth than optical or coax, which are pretty much the same.
I meant isnt coax better than optical?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have ordered a Marantz PM-6007 which should arrive this week.

Apart from my dads old Philips DVD player I will mainly use Spotify etc. using airplay.

Hence

1. I need a cost effective streamer only device(no dac needed) that has airplay and bluetooth+coax out. Any recommendations?
2. What brand coaxial cable(I guess I need digital coaxial cable) need I use to take coax-out from the streamer to my PM-6007?

Please advice. Also please note I am in India and hence stuff here are pretty costly.
This is a no brainer, get the matching Marantz Network Player. You will need to wait for it however since a 6007 model has not been introduced yet and everyone is sold out of the 6006. And, yes, coax may be better than optical S/PDIF but that's in cases where the transmit/receive electronics have Toslink which just carries up to 16/48. Modern electronics usually carry optical S/PDIF at 24/96.

Last edited:
S

sand87

Audioholic
This is a no brainer, get the matching Marantz Network Player. You will need to wait for it however since a 6007 model has not been introduced yet and everyone is sold out of the 6006. And, yes, coax may be better than optical S/PDIF but that's in cases where the transmit/receive electronics have Toslink which just carries up to 16/48. Modern electronics usually carry optical S/PDIF at 24/96.
outside my budget.i will get the 6007 next week is wat they said.
i saw at many places that tsolink is less good than coaxial.Thats why i asked here.Havent yet decided on streamer as unable to find a simple streamer with BT and Airplay 2 which isnt too costly.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
i saw at many places that tsolink is less good than coaxial.Thats why i asked here.Havent yet decided on streamer as unable to find a simple streamer with BT and Airplay 2 which isnt too costly.
Buy a used Airport Express. Connect it to your modem/router via cat 6 and to your amp via Toslink. You can then play Apple Music from iTunes wirelessly from any device you have installed the iTunes app. Generally, you can get a used Airport Express for about $50.

S

sand87

Audioholic
Buy a used Airport Express. It will connect to your amp via Toslink. You can then play Apple Music from iTunes wirelessly from any device you have installed the iTunes app.
nope using spotify.need airplay 2 and BT.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
budget -15000 INR or 250 usd.i actually dont need a streamer with dac.just a streamer that has airplay and blutooth 5 with aptx hd will do

the WXC -50 costs around 22,000 rs(300 usd)in india.and since i dont need the dac i dont find the need to pay that much money for smthng i wont use at all.
I have the same model- don't worry about the cables.

Are you not using the MusicCast for streaming? If not, why not? It does a great job of that.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
The SMSL DP5 may be what you need. It's built in DAC should be quite good. You also have your digital coax out, BT, airplay 2 and other things (affordable)
https://apos.audio/products/smsl-dp5-high-fi-network-enabled-dac-amp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw_H-BRD-ARIsALQE_2OhUpi4qjjCqYa4lGTlle73a85X-dVZPBJjLiWi2VXADzniMwhdreQaAiHUEALw_wcB

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis