JBL HDI 3800 vs KLIPSCH RF-7III

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
Well I can’t help but to wonder which of the speakers has an edge over the other and for what reasons. I honestly have only heard the Klipsch vis YouTube with some good headphones and some of the recordings were great and others not so much. I’m sure the questionable ones were probably not recording with good equipment either. Anyway I’d love to hear some real opinions and hopefully it’s based of you personal experience using your ears.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Well I can’t help but to wonder which of the speakers has an edge over the other and for what reasons. I honestly have only heard the Klipsch vis YouTube with some good headphones and some of the recordings were great and others not so much. I’m sure the questionable ones were probably not recording with good equipment either. Anyway I’d love to hear some real opinions and hopefully it’s based of you personal experience using your ears.
So, you haven't heard them at all?

If it were up to me, I'd get the JBL's over the Klipsch.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
JBL HDIs all day.
Not saying the Big K can't sound good, but flat and accurate they are not known to be.
Thus far, the 3rd party reviews of the JBL HDIs are all very similar in how they seem to measure their performance and all seem to consider them worthwhile speakers.

Can't resist... You cannot audition speakers on YouTube! SMH. ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Youtube sound comparisons are garbage. They do not tell you what a sound system sounds like.

Between the Klipsch RF-7 and the JBL HDI-3800, go for the JBL HDI every day and twice on Sunday. I have heard both these speakers at length. If you like scorching hot treble, go for the Klipsch.

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
Youtube sound comparisons are garbage. They do not tell you what a sound system sounds like.

Between the Klipsch RF-7 and the JBL HDI-3800, go for the JBL HDI every day and twice on Sunday. I have heard both these speakers at length. If you like scorching hot treble, go for the Klipsch.
Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
JBL HDI all day.
YouTube videos have So many limitations and reasons not to use them. You can hear differences between speakers, but not the original sound, or how they’ll sound in your room.

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
JBL HDI all day.
YouTube videos have So many limitations and reasons not to use them. You can hear differences between speakers, but not the original sound, or how they’ll sound in your room.
Thanks, I was honestly hoping to hear some positive feedback on the JBL’s because I’d like to get them. anyay, I’ve have about 2 months to pull the trigger these or maybe even the Revel F208’s. I seem to be attracted to the horns for some reason.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
You could wait until you return and try to go out and listen in person or get a pair of each from Crutchfield. I believe the return shipping for larger towers is $75. Small price to pay to know for sure.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If I were in your shoes and had to make a call without any opportunity to listen, I would definitely consider the JBL a safer bet!
However, if you really want to do it right, you can order one of each and have 60 days in your own home to compare (and note that Harman labs' research indicates that comparing single speakers works better than comparing stereo pairs - it is easier to hear the difference - that has been my personal experience as well).
Crutchfield offers a 60 day return period and all you are out is the cost of the return shipping. The icing on the cake is that Crutchfield will provide the return shipping (via pre-paid UPS label) for a very reasonable fee. Most items (such as AVR's are only $10 to return). Tower speakers are listed at $75/pr, so I would suspect you would likely end up paying something like $40 or $45 for a single tower return. Of course, just tell them your plan when you talk to the sales guy and ask for the specific cost for a single tower (JBL or Klipsch) return before you order.
It is up to you, but I consider $45 a very reasonable fee to be able to have weeks to listen at my leisure and determine which speaker I like better and know why I like it better! Even if you had the opportunity to hear both speakers locally, the likelihood of being able to hear both in the same room is low, and the influence of the room on the sound is substantial. Then there is always the possibility that a store may do something deceptive like using a miniDSP to tune one speaker to the room while the other is without alteration (I think this type of deception is rare, but have seen it done - whether accidental or not, I don't know). I am a huge fan of having a speaker in my room, setup by me with my gear for evaluation purposes!

Crutchfield 60 day return policies:

Return prices are listed under the second pull-down at the link above!

If you are like many people, this (Covid) is a great time to spend performing an in-home trial like this since you are spending more time hanging out at the house anyway!

Edit: Sorry @kini , I did not see your post before I made mine!

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
You could wait until you return and try to go out and listen in person or get a pair of each from Crutchfield. I believe the return shipping for larger towers is $75. Small price to pay to know for sure.
That’s where I plan on getting them, thanks

ToniScot

ToniScot

Enthusiast
Hello! I cannot answer your specific question because I did not hear the specific Klipsch model you mentioned. I can tell you that we have prepared HDi3800 for review and it will be completed soon. It was published a few months ago. e to demonstrate in real-time. Sometimes it can help me make a good choice. But this is all relative.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Bone-Head
I saw you mention elsewhere you are considering the Polk Legends.
These Klipsch Speakers may sound good to many people and are often labeled as "fun." As I stated before, Klipsch isn't exactly known for accurate and neutral sound reproduction.

If you are in the market for high quality speakers that can be used from HT to Music in a very respectable system, the the three NEW speaker systems I would steer you to are the JBL HDIs, Perhaps the Polk Legends (though I question the efficacy of the design on the flagship tower), or the DefTech Demands.
All of these have been reviewed here at AH to pretty high regard.

Beyond that... depending on your budget...
Monitor Audio Gold should be on your list to check out.

If you are crazy into super accurate music reproduction, perhaps look at something a little more specialized. The Philharmonic Audio BMRs will soon be joined by a Tower. You could put together an amazing 5-channel system with these and a high quality sub or two. Also Salk Sound. Both of these companies are internet direct, but the gear is top notch.

There are, of course, many other speakers out there. It all boils down to your goals and aesthetics.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Not to steer too far off the topic but has anyone heard both the JBL HDI's and the JBL 590s? The build quality would be dramatically better on the HDI's clearly as the 590 build quality is poor (I have them and like them). But I'm curious the relative sound quality relative to the price difference.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not to steer too far off the topic but has anyone heard both the JBL HDI's and the JBL 590s? The build quality would be dramatically better on the HDI's clearly as the 590 build quality is poor (I have them and like them). But I'm curious the relative sound quality relative to the price difference.
Find the video AH did on the HDI series tech.

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
Thanks

37-30k Hz
My very likelihood JBL HDI purchase will be delayed till June so I have more time to question things.The frequency response I see in the Klipsch RF-7’s seems to dig a bit lower than the JBL HDI 3800’s. What is your response to this? I ask this in hoping you could enlighten me. Now I do have dual subs anyway, but still.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what do you find particularly an issue on build quality in the 590?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My very likelihood JBL HDI purchase will be delayed till June so I have more time to question things.The frequency response I see in the Klipsch RF-7’s seems to dig a bit lower than the JBL HDI 3800’s. What is your response to this? I ask this in hoping you could enlighten me. Now I do have dual subs anyway, but still.
One thing to remember is that the Klipsch RF7iii is way different then the RF7.

The RP8000f got great reviews here for a reason and that is largely due to major improvements Klipsch made in there horn technology. I owned them and enjoyed them thoroughly

The RF7iii benefit from the same improvements I don't believe they have that old V shaped high end treble sound Klipsch was known for just like the RP8000f they seem to have fixed this

In fact I just spoke with a member here through PM about trying out the RF7iii's and he ultimately did and he put them up against a ton of speakers

SVS ultra, goldenears, Aperion, those were just 3 of many very very nice speakers

He's got good experience at this so I trust his judgement he said the RF7iii just walked all over every thing he tried

This influenced me so much I almost went with them my dealer sells both lines RBH and Klipsch and it was a very close toss up.

I ultimately went with the RBH SV-831R as my front 3 and this was mainly due to his not being able to get the RF7iii shipped to me. This was through no fault of his he scored a great deal but I would have had to pick them up for the deal he got picking up 100lb speakers 3 of them from Dallas just didn't sound like fun lol

Also I really like the rest of my RBH gear and those guys are awesome and I love AMT tweeters and RBH uses a super nice one so I went with them I'm just awaiting delivery

But I deviate sorry my point is that the RF7iii sound good enough from my fellow members review for the need for a heads up between the 3800. They are significantly less in price.

I think KEW had a great idea order one each from Crutchfield debut them both and compare for weeks and send back the one you don't like for a very small fee, buy the one you do, and have ZERO buyers regret, what ifs, or remorse

Last edited:
B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
I never looked at the 590 or know anything about it. I’m interested in the JBL HDI 3800’s and the low frequency response compared to the Klipsch RF-7III’s. I’ll probably wind up with the JBL’s, but for some reason continue to think about the RF-7’s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I never looked at the 590 or know anything about it. I’m interested in the JBL HDI 3800’s and the low frequency response compared to the Klipsch RF-7III’s. I’ll probably wind up with the JBL’s, but for some reason continue to think about the RF-7’s.
I'd think the 590 compares well with the RF7 series....particularly the later versions (I have the 590s/580s/530s/520). Probably more a matter of preference. I'd go for the JBLs over the Klipsch in general, tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
JBL 3800: 8,000 Cubic Inch, 8” Woofers x 3 = 150 Square Inch, 83 lbs
RF7iii: 12,000 Cubic Inch, 10” Woofers x 2 = 157 Square Inch, 97 lbs

So the RF7 probably has more bass and cost less.

The JBL probably has a better reputation since it is a Harman speaker. And there aren’t many fans of Klipsch around here.

I think you have to listen for yourself to know for sure. But if you are going by popular vote here, I bet the JBL will win. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis