Looking for Subwoofer Suggestions for HT Room (WiP)

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Hello all!

New here. I’ve have just moved into a new home (not a new build), which has a dedicated theater room. I’m planning to make it into a 7.X.4 theater.

The room dimensions are 17’ (length) x 12’ (width) x 7.5’ (ceiling). It has drop down ceilings. For ~1600 cubic feet.

This is the equipment in the room right now.

All timber matched Polk speakers:
LSiM 707 Front LR,
LSiM 706C Center,
LSiM 702 F/X Surround LR,
LSiM 703 Rear Surround LR,
Yet to be installed 4 x 80 F/X LS in-ceiling speakers

Denon 4300H capable of two subs. 9 channel amps and pre outs for additional up to 11 channel in all.

LG 65E6 OLED.

I’m thinking to get 2 subs to cover the room with a $1k-$2k budget in all. If I go for a ~1k sub, I’ll buy one now and get a 2nd one later. I’m hoping I can bag the subs on discounts so something in the range of $1200-$1300 usd discounted close to $1000 (I guess not all subs are discounted this low), and repeat this within a year. But I’m not sure if I need to spend that much for a room of this size. I’m also not sure weather I should go for ported or sealed. The room has a door in the rear-middle along the width, and one on the left wall closer to the rear, to an adjacent smaller room along the length where I plan to keep all the AV equipment.

I also plan to get a monoprice monlith 7 channel amp (200w /channel) to drive the 7 floor speakers, and let the Denon drive the ceiling speakers.

My primary usage will be Movies 65 / Music 35%.

Before making the post I was leaning towards the Monprice Monolith ported subs, which come with foam to make them sealed, so I could potentially try both and tune to my liking. I’ve near really purchased a nice sub and want to get the best bang for buck.

Eventually I plan to get a projector plus screen, and have two row seating. The two row seating might be tight as I was thinking of power recliners, still figuring that out. I have the 703s on stands and have yet to mount the 702’s to the wall.

All advice and suggestions will help! Thank you!

ps I’ll be willing to increase the budget if better performance can be had for 10-20% more $.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Ported subs for sure

2 of these

Nice speakers. Be a great system.

Let 2 of these drive the mains and the Receiver drive everything else. Save some cash.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps also consider a pair of Hsu VTF-2 mk5s.....also have the sealed modes with eq to match....

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Ported subs for sure

2 of these

Nice speakers. Be a great system.
Thank you! Good info. I’ll look into the amps, and these subs. Any reason to look into the 3000 series, is that too much for a room size as above? Thanks a again.

Last edited:
I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Perhaps also consider a pair of Hsu VTF-2 mk5s.....also have the sealed modes with eq to match....
I’ll check these out too, just to consider the other models from HSU like the VTF3- MK5 & VTF-15H MK2, will they be considered overkill for the space? Or are they not so good value propositions from a price perspective.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
No such thing as subwoofer Overkill. LOL

But dual SVS PB-2000's would work the PB-3000's would be outstanding

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I’ll check these out too, just to consider the other models from HSU like the VTF3- MK5 & VTF-15H MK2, will they be considered overkill for the space? Or are they not so good value propositions from a price perspective.
They are the best value for sure. A pair of the VTF3.5s would be great in that room though they do take up a fair amount of floor space. If floor space is tight a pair of the PC2000pros would do well and better yet a pair of the PC4000s would be incredible. Both the PC and PB from the 2000 on up can be run sealed.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
No such thing as subwoofer Overkill. LOL

But dual SVS PB-2000's would work the PB-3000's would be outstanding
Haha

They are the best value for sure. A pair of the VTF3.5s would be great in that room though they do take up a fair amount of floor space. If floor space is tight a pair of the PC2000pros would do well and better yet a pair of the PC4000s would be incredible. Both the PC and PB from the 2000 on up can be run sealed.
To be honest, It took me 4 years to buy these speakers, they aren't cheap for me either. But the subs are the last couple pieces going into this, to complete the 7.2.4, maybe in the future I could hook up more subs, but would probably need a new receiver, which might anyway be warrented since hdmi 2.1 120hz etc. That said, I just don't want to gimp on the sub. I was looking at the VTF 15 too and it seems like really good pricing for a 15" sub.

Below is how my room will look like, and I'll need to do the subwoofer crawl to find the correct positions, however if its close enough I might put them right below the wall mounted surrounds. I still do need to understand the correct positioning, but in my head thats where it will be likely. If that doesn't sound right, please advise.
HT D1 01-15.png

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Nobody can advise you where Subs can go there are recommended placements for them. But once you get the subs in your room that's the only way to tell how they will perform with experimental placements

And just because it has a 15 inch driver doesn't mean it'll perform lots of things make a subwoofer perform cabinet size and design, ports, amplifier and then the most important is room placement

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Nobody can advise you where Subs can go there are recommended placements for them. But once you get the subs in your room that's the only way to tell how they will perform with experimental placements

And just because it has a 15 inch driver doesn't mean it'll perform lots of things make a subwoofer perform cabinet size and design, ports, amplifier and then the most important is room placement
I completely agree, placement I'll do dilligence once I have the sub. I'm trying to figure which are better value, PB 3000s seem to have an app controlled dsp ~ $1300 for a 13" driver vs 15" driver with HSU which don't seem to have that app experience, not sure what kind of difference does that make. I'm sure there is more to it, but I'm trying to understand those aspects.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I completely agree, placement I'll do dilligence once I have the sub. I'm trying to figure which are better value, PB 3000s seem to have an app controlled dsp ~ $1300 for a 13" driver vs 15" driver with HSU which don't seem to have that app experience, not sure what kind of difference does that make. I'm sure there is more to it, but I'm trying to understand those aspects.
JMO the PB-3000 is one if the best subs produced. It's not only an outstanding performer but it looks great too compared to the competition. It also has some great features as you've mentioned. A great amp, and build quality, and customer service from SVS that no other company can touch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the VTF-3 Mk5 is a particularly good value and if you can swing it/fit 'em, all the better IMO. Overkill is relative :) You always going to be in that room?

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
I think the VTF-3 Mk5 is a particularly good value and if you can swing it/fit 'em, all the better IMO. Overkill is relative :) You always going to be in that room?
I feel like they definitely are great value. For the forseeable future I'll be in that room for Movies/Music, I do wish the room was a little longer to fit the 2nd row seating comfortably, but thats where it is right now. It has no windows, and has space for AV equipment to be out of the room. But at some point if I ever had to move to another place the bigger subs could probably fill that better, Is that why you were asking?

I've also suggested to look at Rythmik's , PSA & monolith subs, any suggestions about those ones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I feel like they definitely are great value. For the forseeable future I'll be in that room for Movies/Music, I do wish the room was a little longer to fit the 2nd row seating comfortably, but thats where it is right now. It has no windows, and has space for AV equipment to be out of the room. But at some point if I ever had to move to another place the bigger subs could probably fill that better, Is that why you were asking?

I've also suggested to look at Rythmik's , PSA & monolith subs, any suggestions about those ones.
Just that if you went to a bigger room the larger subs can make the transition easier than smaller ones :). A fairly small sealed room like yours could do well with the 12s but if you can do the 15s I don't think you'll be disappointed. I think Rythmik PSA and Monolith all make very good subs....just depends on your spl and extension goals and budget as to what makes most sense for you. I think Hsu is a bit better value than most, but then I just DIY personally.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis