Ported vs Sealed subwoofers

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I'm cruising around the internet trying to find the best deal I can on a new subwoofer for my HT room. I've pretty much narrowed it down to an SVS, just trying to decide which one to get (though I'm still mightily tempted by the Monolith 12" THX and the Paradigm Defiance X12).

Anyway, I come across this article about the difference between Sealed vs Ported woofers. So I read it. Then I start looking for more articles, and read a few more. Basically, they all say the same thing: sealed is great for a smaller room, but for a bigger rooms go with ported.

Here's my dilemma: I've only got about 1450 cubic ft in my HT room. And for not much more in price ------>1399$ compared to 1259$, I can 'upgrade' from the SVS PB 2000 Pro, to the SVS SB 3000. The jump from the 2000 Pro to the PB 3000 is quite substantial (700$ more for the PB 3000).

So, which one do I go for? Whichever one I end up getting, I'll eventually add another one.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Go for ported. Sealed is mostly for situations where there simply isn't a lot of room for a sub. It's a compromise to save space. If you have the space, there isn't much of a reason not to go ported. You just get way more headroom in deep bass. I have used both the PB-2000Pro and the SB-3000, and if your content is movies and TV, I would unquestionably go with the PB-2000 Pro. The SB-3000's higher driver sensitivity and more powerful amp do give it an advantage in mid-bass, but it is at a very big disadvantage in deep bass due to its sealed form factor.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Go for ported. Sealed is mostly for situations where there simply isn't a lot of room for a sub. It's a compromise to save space. If you have the space, there isn't much of a reason not to go ported. You just get way more headroom in deep bass. I have used both the PB-2000Pro and the SB-3000, and if your content is movies and TV, I would unquestionably go with the PB-2000 Pro. The SB-3000's higher driver sensitivity and more powerful amp do give it an advantage in mid-bass, but it is at a very big disadvantage in deep bass due to its sealed form factor.
I went with dual SB-3000 for the reason you stated in my small living room as a ported one would be too visually dominant. And the high-gloss finish is very nice!

Had the room been for home theatre only I would have made a different decision.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe PC 2000s to save a bit of floor space and still get ported?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
In your other thread no one recommended a sealed subwoofer so how did we get here ported sub is the way to go

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Sealed sub, always, every day. Ported subs are big, fat, and loud. Now if subs were women, would you date one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sealed sub, always, every day. Ported subs are big, fat, and loud. Now if subs were women, would you date one?
In both cases, depends on how much you like the bottom end....or how many sealed subs you can fit. For diy, sealed easier to build, too :)

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
Maybe PC 2000s to save a bit of floor space and still get ported?
I can recommend this. I have a way bigger space to fill, and my 2 PC-2000s seem to do an excellent job. I say "seem to" because I have never tried, e.g., a PB-4000 or some 200 lb monstrosity, but the PC-2000s deliver pretty amazing oomph, I can't really imagine how much more you could need...

JackstrawfromWichita

JackstrawfromWichita

Enthusiast
I'm cruising around the internet trying to find the best deal I can on a new subwoofer for my HT room. I've pretty much narrowed it down to an SVS, just trying to decide which one to get (though I'm still mightily tempted by the Monolith 12" THX and the Paradigm Defiance X12).

Anyway, I come across this article about the difference between Sealed vs Ported woofers. So I read it. Then I start looking for more articles, and read a few more. Basically, they all say the same thing: sealed is great for a smaller room, but for a bigger rooms go with ported.

Here's my dilemma: I've only got about 1450 cubic ft in my HT room. And for not much more in price ------>1399$ compared to 1259$, I can 'upgrade' from the SVS PB 2000 Pro, to the SVS SB 3000. The jump from the 2000 Pro to the PB 3000 is quite substantial (700$ more for the PB 3000).

So, which one do I go for? Whichever one I end up getting, I'll eventually add another one.

Not responding to the sealed vs. ported question, but Music Direct has a demo SB 3000 for $799....at least they did yesterday.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You're right on all counts.....
Big = True
FAT= True
Loud = True
WAF = zero

No, i wouldn't date a fatty....bwaaaahahahaha
Wait...my dog's a fatty and i luvvv him....

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, we go over this again and again. The only reason to ever use a sealed sub, is if you don't have the space for one that isn't.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
But you have to admit those babies got back!

I like big subs, and I cannot lie!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Ask your women if she would want a small one compared to a "big, fat, one

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis