Ported vs Sealed subwoofers

C

Clownaphobia

Audioholic Intern
Doesn’t multiples of high powered sealed subs give you the ability to play lower frequencies than ported? If you are chasing single digits, I don’t think ported will get you there...or is this incorrect? Not trying to argue...I enjoy and own both

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Doesn’t multiples of high powered sealed subs give you the ability to play lower frequencies than ported? If you are chasing single digits, I don’t think ported will get you there...or is this incorrect? Not trying to argue...I enjoy and own both
Yeah with a monster enclosure and a 2400-4000watt Amp

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. But think of it like this. For comparable sealed/ported subs, it can take as many as four sealed to match the output of a ported sub below about 35hz. So as you can see, it will take a lot of sealed subs to do that. Room gain can help, but imo it’s often overstated. Not to mention the added excursion and distortion and heat that comes with running sealed subs that low.
So imo, taking into account the expense and complications of using that many sealed, ported wins the day. For getting below 16-18hz, a BOSS riser is WAY cheaper and much more intense, and won’t take up any floor space.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis