Reform or Eliminate the Electoral College

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I finally figured out how to use colored bars to show how the states voted in the last election. Red is GOP and Blue is Democratic. Green is the US Average.

It's clear that there are more blue states in the upper part of the graph, and more red states in the lower part. More of the states that voted Democratic were under-represented by the electoral college, and more of the states that voted GOP were over-represented.

It would be easy to conclude that the GOP opposes changing or eliminating the electoral college because it gives them an advantage. If you look at the graph, 11 out of 25 state that voted GOP in the last election were above the green average bar. They were also under-represented, as were the 17 states that voted Democratic. It would be better for everyone if we did away this archaic system, instead of monkeying with the electoral college votes for each state every 10 years.

1610399913864.png

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
while were at it I want a 'simple' flat tax as well ...........

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
while were at it I want a 'simple' flat tax as well ...........
D@mn... seems like the last time I paid attention to hearing about a flat tax was Gov. Moonbeam (Jerry Brown) leading up to the '92 Election. Have I missed anything in the last 29yrs? :p
(Rhetorical question.)
(Slightly more rhetorical answer: YES!)
:rolleyes:
:p

T

trochetier

Audioholic
The 2nd amendment then is also untouchable? Even Scalia stated it can certainly be regulated. So, perhaps EC can be regulated somehow?
Not sure how an Amendment can be regulated. Scalia was a dullard (euphemistically an Originalist), IMO. He read the Constitution not studied it as it was written. Studying requires thinking, analysis thus more intelligence.

Second Amendment - Full text - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. " https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-2/

This SCOTUS of conservative "Originalist" judges should be easily be able to correct the previous Ruling. Only those in well regulated militia should be able to bear arms.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, since this thread is about the electoral college, can we keep it about the electoral college? Maybe? Please?

(FWIW, I didn't mean to post that pic here. My bad.)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have always believed in the popular vote not the electoral college but maybe that's just me.:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly, if people are so hell bent on keeping the system, a really good work around is to just count each elector vote in a district that consists of counties. The population of each district should be as equal as possible. Then each district could use it's one vote. No more all or nothing nonsense when it comes to states. Obviously more complex than that, but if we insist on keeping an archaic system and wasting taxpayer money, why not?

Or, you know, just let each vote count. Which would be very simple.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have always believed in the popular vote not the electoral college but maybe that's just me.:)
Too bad we've gotten presidents that didn't win that popular vote.

That should have only happened once. When it did, the system needed to be overhauled or removed.

Can you imagine the outcry if sports were won that way?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
while were at it I want a 'simple' flat tax as well
The GOP couldn't pass a flat tax in 2017-18 when they owned Congress and the White House. If not then, when?

The alternative is actually paying for the society and infrastructure we all want.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You sound mighty unhappy. Sore looser?
Wrong again Richard, I'm happier than a pig in poop that Joe got elected over the fat orange haired one. As for my second amendment rights, yes, it's the libtard left that wants to take that away, show me what I've lost ! ?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The GOP couldn't pass a flat tax in 2017-18 when they owned Congress and the White House. If not then, when?
Duhhhh, 'if not when' ??? Dems got control now, as grandpa used to say, do something !!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
1 person 1 equal vote.
That problem you describe would be a political issue within a state. What Connecticut needs may be quite different from what Iowa needs. It is not relevant to national elections for president and vice president.

Where in the US Constitution does it say the minority rules? Same question for the state constitutions.

To paraphrase Trell, 1 person = 1 vote. The original articles of the US Constitution didn't say that outright, but the overwhelming trend of amendments and federal court decisions since 1792 have been in that direction.
Do you remember why slaves counted as 3/5 of a person?

highfigh

highfigh

I see no reason to do away with the Electoral Vote, how else are rural evangelical conservative nutjobs supposed to control the entire country with their antiquated and closed minded ideals? Oh wait.. maybe it's better to get rid of it and let democracy prevail every election. Republicans absolutely hate democracy so it's not going anywhere in our lifetimes.
You need to stop painting with broad strokes. SOME Republicans seem to oppose Democracy, not all. Personally, I hate the idea of claiming any association to one party or the other, to be honest.

highfigh

highfigh

I was asking Swerd because he posted "The original articles of the US Constitution didn't say that outright, but the overwhelming trend of amendments and federal court decisions since 1792 have been in that direction.".

They actually taught you about US slavery in detail? Hell, they barely teach it here. Someday, we may even start to use the Metric System.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I was asking Swerd because he posted "The original articles of the US Constitution didn't say that outright, but the overwhelming trend of amendments and federal court decisions since 1792 have been in that direction.".
I think Swerd is right in this. Over the years more and more of the population has gained voting rights, first for men and later for women. In USA is, of course, race ever present in politics and voting rights.

They actually taught you about US slavery in detail? Hell, they barely teach it here. Someday, we may even start to use the Metric System.
About 25% of the Norwegian and Swedish population emigrated to USA. My mother, growing up in a poor rural valley, have relatives that emigrated. Similar on my fathers side. So it's not that surprising that we learn quite a bit about USA, at least when I grew up. Whether or not I learned about the 3/5 vote in school or later, I'm not sure as it was a long time ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis