SVS Ultra Towers or Pinnacle Towers with Arcam avr 390?

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Trying to determine if a Arcam has enough power to drive a 5.0.2 setup with a pair of ultra or pinnacle towers (and ultra center along with surrounds and two atmos elevation speakers?)

No sub

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It will drive them but you are better off with a more powerful receiver or amp.
If you're in a small room listening at normal listening levels you'll be fine.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Not to over do it. But also looking at the new Elac Debut towers and Martin Logan Motion 40 towers.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Want to provide some info that can help us understand as to how much amp you need/want in terms of your use and listening levels? That avr wouldn't be my choice particularly.....might check this out, didn't test particularly well https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/arcam-avr390-avr-review.13071/
Yeah I’ve been to that site and obviously he knows what he’s doing. But also much of the negative reviews seem to be numbers based vs actual. Either way not replacing the amp

just curious about speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I’ve been to that site and obviously he knows what he’s doing. But also much of the negative reviews seem to be numbers based vs actual. Either way not replacing the amp

just curious about speakers.
Yes, that site's reviews are based on measurements particularly. If you already have the Arcam a moot point, if you didn't yet just thought it would be food for thought.

Have you used an spl calculator to approximate your power needs based on desired levels at the distances you'll be from the various speakers you're interested in? Curious, why no sub? These speakers would generally benefit from use of subs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious why no sub? For one, that would be the only way to do justice to film soundtracks. And also, if power requirements are in question that would take a big load off.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Yes, that site's reviews are based on measurements particularly. If you already have the Arcam a moot point, if you didn't yet just thought it would be food for thought.

Have you used an spl calculator to approximate your power needs based on desired levels at the distances you'll be from the various speakers you're interested in? Curious, why no sub? These speakers would generally benefit from use of subs.
Just curious if you’d think a Yamaha 1080 would be better???

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Curious why no sub? For one, that would be the only way to do justice to film soundtracks. And also, if power requirements are in question that would take a big load off.
Yeah — not saying I’m right. But I prefer a good full range than a bass heavy sub.

currently my RP8000f and RP504c front stage is great. But the towers need to be heavily towed in order to have any decent imaging.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just curious if you’d think a Yamaha 1080 would be better???
Subs aren't bass heavy unless you tweak them that way instead of setting them up well. Most "full range" speakers aren't, particularly none of the ones you're mentioning. I'd rather have something else but I think the Yamaha is likely a better value than the Arcam

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah — not saying I’m right. But I prefer a good full range than a bass heavy sub.

currently my RP8000f and RP504c front stage is great. But the towers need to be heavily towed in order to have any decent imaging.
Yeah, Ime most speakers will benefit from some experimentation with toe in and spacing. For subs, like HD said, they can be bass heavy, but set up right , they’re just a natural extension of the mains. Cheaper one note wonder subs can also sound bass heavy and boomy. But good quality subs set up properly should go unnoticed until called upon, and just extend the frequency response.
And frankly, towers that can rival subs for movie bass/LFE will cost many multitudes of the 8000f’s. For a lot of music styles, the RP’s will be pretty good, but for movies, nope. Not even close.
I know, it’s not why you’re here. Just giving food for thought.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Yeah, Ime most speakers will benefit from some experimentation with toe in and spacing. For subs, like HD said, they can be bass heavy, but set up right , they’re just a natural extension of the mains. Cheaper one note wonder subs can also sound bass heavy and boomy. But good quality subs set up properly should go unnoticed until called upon, and just extend the frequency response.
And frankly, towers that can rival subs for movie bass/LFE will cost many multitudes of the 8000f’s. For a lot of music styles, the RP’s will be pretty good, but for movies, nope. Not even close.
I know, it’s not why you’re here. Just giving food for thought.
Speaking of one note wonder subs, i'm getting my fill of that with my new neighbor. I am about to make him pay. Me thinks he needs a lesson in what real bass is all about. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Speaking of one note wonder subs, i'm getting my fill of that with my new neighbor. I am about to make him pay. Me thinks he needs a lesson in what real bass is all about. ;)
Lol. Make sure you turn it up to 11!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis